What are you comparing the 2017+ Compass to? - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wheelin

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 26 Old 12-11-2016, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

What are you comparing the 2017+ Compass to?

With a total history of Toyota ownership lasting 8 years I will be comparing the Rav4 to the all-new Compass. This is in no way a new segment and has a history stretching at least 10-15 years with many rivals to choose from. So with that being said, what else are you looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-12-2016, 03:18 PM

Heard that Ford is finally coming out with the Bronco, but who knows how long it's going to be until we see it. Other than that, maybe the Toyota Highlander LE?
post #3 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 PM

A lot of CUVs are coming out this year, but not many would stand up against the Compass IMHO.

The 2017 Mazda CX-5, Kia Sportage, and Ford Escape are a few. But they seem to be more on-road vehicles and not as flexible as the Compass. Also they aren't cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 08:36 PM

Isn't the Compass technically one slot below the CX-5, Sportage, and Escape? I'd think it competes more with the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Pizzuti View Post
Isn't the Compass technically one slot below the CX-5, Sportage, and Escape? I'd think it competes more with the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V.
The way I see it (which I think some here will agree) is its not an exact science, there will be many reasons for comparing it to what you mentioned and models right under them. These days there's a lot of inbetween segments which impacts this.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-06-2017, 03:37 PM

I was looking at 2017 models only for comparison, but it'll still stand above the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V in terms of versatility IMO.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-06-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterToast View Post
I was looking at 2017 models only for comparison, but it'll still stand above the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V in terms of versatility IMO.
Maybe so, but it'll be below the Escape, RAV4, and CR-V. Not sure how that'll work out.

Sent from my mobile device.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-07-2017, 04:10 AM

The SUV segment seems to be exploding the last few years. Most of the models that I'm looking at are listed on here already. I'm just happy to see that there are a lot of other options coming from the Japanese brands like Toyota and Honda because from what I can see, the fuel economy is a marked improvement...
post #9 of 26 Old 01-08-2017, 11:39 PM

I was looking at the EcoSport, but it seems more like a fuel saving vehicles then something meant for performance. I'm expecting it to be under powered compared to the Compass. And it seems like a gimmicky vehicle if their ads are anything to go by.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-08-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelin View Post
I was looking at the EcoSport, but it seems more like a fuel saving vehicles then something meant for performance. I'm expecting it to be under powered compared to the Compass. And it seems like a gimmicky vehicle if their ads are anything to go by.
Seems like a lot of vehicles in this segment are underpowered. The HR-V is a dog, so is the Crosstrek and the Trax. I was watching the EcoSport reveal and was very disappointed by the power train but kind of expected it given the others. Not to mention the side opening rear gate.

Seems like only the Juke, Renegade, and Compass have decent power in the segment.

post #11 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM

Manufacturers are going the route of fuel savings at the cost of power delivery and that's an unfortunate change in the market, but FCA can't do the same with Jeep as it's their money cow and they can't risk pushing us away.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 PM

Well, you can only lose a certain amount of power delivery before your vehicle is no longer off-road capable, so that makes some sense. But they're not even offering the option of a slower and more fuel-efficient powertrain. And it's not like they don't have them.

I have a feeling other maufacturers are going to have to step up their power output a bit though. Some of these things are so slow they can't even get out of their own way. Or my way.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-12-2017, 11:26 AM

Brian_Pizzutti, I'm thinking of buying a 2013 Compass - fair price offered me - but I'm told the smaller engine which this one has, may not be able to pull a camper trailer. Any truth to this?
post #14 of 26 Old 01-22-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevovo View Post
Brian_Pizzutti, I'm thinking of buying a 2013 Compass - fair price offered me - but I'm told the smaller engine which this one has, may not be able to pull a camper trailer. Any truth to this?
That's a question better left to sections on that generation, this is on the upcoming next generation model, best to keep it like that just to keep it on topic.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-24-2017, 03:36 PM

Speaking of trailers, the 2017 compass can tow up to 907 kilograms or 2,000 lbs. Think that's more than what the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V can pull?
Bryan_Pizzuti likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 01-24-2017, 03:44 PM

I've read that the NA HR-V isn't recommended to tow. Been trying to find specs on a towing capacity but I can't come up with anything on it.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-24-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelin View Post
Speaking of trailers, the 2017 compass can tow up to 907 kilograms or 2,000 lbs. Think that's more than what the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V can pull?
Most likely. Not that any of them will ever tow anything.

post #18 of 26 Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 AM

Garage
Well, that new Toyota C-HR looks very interesting.

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned;
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo OM651.925 @ ~200PS/400NM; EBC Yellowstuff @ EBC Turbo GrooveDiscs; Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 225/70R16 @CMS C8 7x16 (❄)
post #19 of 26 Old 01-27-2017, 11:56 AM

If by "interesting" you mean ugly and terrible, yes I agree. 😀

post #20 of 26 Old 01-27-2017, 03:36 PM

The C-HR doesn't look that bad... it looks quite... eccentric? If that's the word.. to use euphemism.
post #21 of 26 Old 01-27-2017, 03:47 PM

That thing has a very polarizing design and people are going to react to it like the Prius, you either hate it or love it. Oddly enough, I find it appealing but the thing apparently feels under powered and has horrible rear window view.

The 2017 is just more practical IMO.
post #22 of 26 Old 01-30-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Pizzuti View Post
If by "interesting" you mean ugly and terrible, yes I agree. 😀

I agree.

Lexus/Toyota has been trying to stand out with design that is different from the rest and in the process have come up with designs that have potential but have ugly cues that throw the whole product off.

It's going to be a struggle especially with their products not falling that far away from competition like Mercedes, BMW and Audi.
post #23 of 26 Old 01-31-2017, 03:01 PM

The big thing that Lexus and Toyota have is their known for amazing reliability. Engines are bulletproof and they put up with abuse.

Design wise they're sort of pushing it a wee bit.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-31-2017, 03:33 PM

I think the Rogue Sport (Qashqai) is the closest thing around to the Compass. Nissan never adopted Android Auto though.

post #25 of 26 Old 03-07-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

They will eventually. With the launch of NissanConnect, Andriod Auto will become one of the standard features.

Fortunately being a system so easy to implement we could see it introduced as soon as the next model year. A small downside currently.
post #26 of 26 Old 03-10-2017, 03:31 PM

The android auto site also says it will be with Nissan soon as well. But with the new Qashqai, you can utilize something called SiriEyes

Quote:
Unleash the power of your Siri-equipped iPhone® with Siri® Eyes Free.[*] Ask about the weather, make calls, send texts, update your calendar, and more – at the touch of a button.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.