2017 Compass Trailhawk Takes On Moab - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick Kaminski

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

2017 Compass Trailhawk Takes On Moab

Jeeps were made for off road adventures and the 2017 Compass is no different. Nathan Adlen from The Fast Lane Car took to the Moab trails during Easter Jeep Safari week in, you guessed it, a Compass Trailhawk.

Offered with a 2.4-liter Multiair Tigershark engine, the Compass is rated at 180 horsepower and 175 pound-feet of torque. All four wheels are fed through a nine speed automatic transmission, though it is front wheel drive biased. Some may wonder if 180 ponies are enough to take on some of the milder Moab roads with medium sized obstacles, well Nathan set out on an off-road adventure to find out.

When you first look at the Trailhawk you see a good 8.5 inches of ground clearance. Not bad unless you decide to take on some large boulders. There’s also a lot of space in the wheel wells for articulation and nestled in there is a set of somewhat aggressive Falcon tires.

For optimizing wheel traction, the Trailhawk is offered with Jeep’s Active Drive Lock 4x4 System so drivers can select the appropriate drive mode to suit a variety of terrain including a four-wheel Low mode, rear locker and a Rock setting.

So what’s his take on the Trailhawk’s off-road capabilities? You’ll just have to watch the video to find out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 PM

Garage
Sorry, but driving on fire roads that a Ford Focus could handle isn't "taking on Moab".

This is taking on Moab.....
image hosting free[/IMG]
post #3 of 7 Old 04-27-2017, 07:38 PM

Garage
And I mean that with nothing but respect for the new Compass. I'm just saying do something a little more impressive. It can handle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Lol, it isn't a real Moab test until the car tips onto its side. I do agree that they could have gone through a slightly more challenging trail compared to what we're seeing. Aside from that one climb, the rest was pretty level and something the base model compass can take on.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Garage
Ha! I think the goal should always be to keep the rubber on the trail, but "taking on Moab" in my opinion means getting yourself into situations where ending up upside down is a real possibility. The guys in this video might as well be "taking on" the park across the street from my house because it's about as extreme as what they're doing. I bomb down the same fire roads in Moab in my Focus ZX3.... Again, I'm not knocking the Compass. If you see some of my posts, I'm a huge fan. I'm knocking on them trying to label a video as doing something extreme that really isn't with a vehicle that can handle mildy extreme terrain. Just seems like a poor attempt at advertisement. I would have the same criticism of a Focus commercial at Daytona racetrack saying "Focus takes on Daytona!" and tops out at 85mph.....
NorthStar likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 PM

Odds are Jeep knows its not all it can be when doing things you'd want to put a Jeep through. But the real pay off is in the majority of buyers who won't care for all this stuff. They just want to graduate from CR-V's, Nissan Rogues, and so on. I still have the Wrangler up for consideration.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-29-2017, 08:14 PM

The Wrangler is definitely always up in my mind for consideration. But this, like others, I agree isn't taking it on. Show me three wheels in the air and now we're talking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.