Passenger Low Beam Out - OBD checks good! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Passenger Low Beam Out - OBD checks good!

Title explains it. This is what I've done to troubleshoot:

- Replaced bulbs with brand new H13s
- Tested voltage to wiring harness. High and low beams are receiving power.
- Scanned TIPM with OBD scanner - no codes. (cleared anyway)
- Unplugged battery to clear/reset TIPM

That's about as far as I know to troubleshoot this issue. High beams work, but no low beam on passenger side. I've heard rumors of a fuse/relay for low beams, but I can't find any mention of it anywhere.

I've also browsed the other threads about this problem, but it doesn't seem anyone has posted their fix. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-13-2015, 01:26 PM

The switching can be done by Grounding the load(light circuit in this case).
You say you have power to the low beam socket connector?? If so with the light switch turned on the other side should go to ground. If off it should be floating at high resistance. This assumes 12V is there all the time when the ignition is on/running.

NOTE: The TIPM is a smart, solid state device with a number of protection fuses. Relays within are solid state and a lot is computer controlled. Unless you have bad connection or bad grounding straps corroded then it looks like the TIPM has failed.

YOU SHOULD CREATE A PROFILE THAT SHOWS YOUR VEHICLE BUILD FOR ALL POSTS!!

There is no point of reference whatsoever.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
136,000km Nov. 2016
STILL DO NOT BUY A JEEP COMPASS is my RECOMMENDATION

2008 Hyunda Sante Fe AWD Limited 3.3L V6

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002
SOLD @ 292,000km
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, don't know what you mean by "the switching can be done by grounding the load".

Yes, there is power to both the low beam and high beam socket connector on each side of the vehicle. I also was able to test impedance tonight. The grounding seems fine. There was continuity on the grounding wire in both harnesses.

I don't think the connection is bad. I wiggled it around with the lights on just to see if the light would pop on. Nothing. And the high beams work fine, so I am almost certain the connection is fine. And me testing the ground confirms that I don't have a grounding issue.

I really hope it's not the TIPM. These things are like $400...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

If I were to get a TIPM from a junk yard, would I have to have it programmed as long as it matches my model and year?

What if I get one brand new?

2007 Jeep Compass
2.4L FWD
110K miles
post #5 of 10 Old 03-03-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, instead of starting a new thread, I'd like to bump this one.

It's been a while (a lot of moving in the military), but I still haven't had this issue resolved. I am not even close to being able to afford $1000+ repairs for this POS module. Our Jeep stays in the garage at night because we've been stopped twice by police for the passenger low beam. It's freaking ridiculous that Jeep hasn't recalled these TIPMs for the Compass. I don't understand.

Any way... does anyone know if getting a used TIPM from a junkyard is feasible? What about a new one from a parts vendor? Can I just run it by the dealership and have them program it and then install it into my Compass?

2007 Jeep Compass
2.4L FWD
110K miles
post #6 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

SOLVED.

I ended up ordering a TIPM from Dorman (got it through Rock Auto). DORMAN IS AWESOME!! I paid $425 for the unit and get a $200 refund for the core. So $225 compared to the $tealer$hip quoting me over $1,000!!

Their TIPMs DO NOT require flashing from the $tealer$hip. I installed it in about 10 minutes. Turn the key on for 12 seconds. Off for 12 seconds. Clear codes (if any) and start the vehicle.

NOW BOTH MY HEADLIGHTS WORK!

Can we mark this thread as solved?

2007 Jeep Compass
2.4L FWD
110K miles
post #7 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the update. Real sorry that nobody was able to give insight on the scrapyard ordeal but really happy you saved a boat ton of money !
post #8 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
Thanks for the update. Real sorry that nobody was able to give insight on the scrapyard ordeal but really happy you saved a boat ton of money !
No worries. Just in case anyone else is wondering, I did find some information about getting a TIPM from a junkyard. Be wary of this because TIPMs are programmed for your specific vehicle. Your junkyard TIPM might get you running, but you will probably find that some of your vehicle features no longer work (heated seats for example). You're better off going with DORMAN or another reman company, but I don't know if anyone else makes TIPMs that work out of the box.

2007 Jeep Compass
2.4L FWD
110K miles
post #9 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 04:03 PM

Garage
Check the ground on the frame right front frame rail near the engine pulleys. There are about 6 wires on one lug there and the corrosion gets in the connector and "opens" up the wire. Cut back till you find a clean non-corroded area. Then re-ground them all.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmonk View Post
Check the ground on the frame right front frame rail near the engine pulleys. There are about 6 wires on one lug there and the corrosion gets in the connector and "opens" up the wire. Cut back till you find a clean non-corroded area. Then re-ground them all.
I guess you didn't read my post where I stated this issue had been solved.

2007 Jeep Compass
2.4L FWD
110K miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.