My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Grinding sound on my 08 compass

18K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Jasmine 
#1 ·
First post! First jeep!
Recently bought this 08 compass sport from enterprise car sales with 60,000 miles on it. Within the last couple weeks (2), I've noticed a weird sound coming from what I think might be the transmission. It's real subtle and I only hear it just before coming to a complete stop or taking off from a complete stop. To me it sounds like it's the transmission shifting hard. Like a grinding or friction sounds. I'm limited in my maintenance knowledge. Any suggestions or has anyone experienced this?? Should I take it in??

Lookin toward to some input!

#2 ·
First welcome to the forum , glad you found us, tell us more about your ride and yourself.
As for your situation don't you have a warranty on going here ?

#3 ·
Well I live out in southern California. I bought this 08 black compass sport 2.4l after a gnarly wreck in my previous vehicle back in october. I needed something to suit my busy work and school schedule, as well as transportation for frequent camping and rock climbing trips. So far I'm loving this little jeep. I wanna add some additional lighting for the pitch black fire roads in the mountain areas around here and a roof rack for added cargo.

Now about this jeep. Yes, enterprise gave me a limited two year drive train warranty. I've already had them replace the brakes, a mismatch tire, and give it an allignment. However, this new weird sound is irritating me. I only notice it when it shifts in and out of the first gear. the best way I can describe it, is like when you put a manual shifting car into reverse, because you can here it shifting. However it sounds like its shifting alittle to hard (if that makes sense) I don't wanna seem paranoid and jump the gun in taking it back in...

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum, first, glad to have you! If it were me, I would take it in, simply due to the fact that the CVT is not really serviceable except for by a trained technician. If you have a reputable dealer near you, I would start there and at least get an accurate diagnosis, but good luck and be sure to keep us posted!

- Cherokee

#5 ·
Get and assessment and and estimate from an authorized dealer, I am afraid you may have trouble with enterprise if this turns out to be an expensive problem.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

#6 ·
Sound like the gears in the CVT not meshing properly. I believe the miles you have were the end of the Jeep warranty in the US. But you can still call Customer service and bring it to their attention. See what they say. If it was like that when you picked it up then it should have been addressed by the previous owners (Enterprise). You should be ok but don't wait too long. Time and miles are you enemy!!!

#8 · (Edited)
My dealer indicated that there were gears involved as well for the various modes I gather. The steel band takes care of the varing drive ratio. I am sure CVT google will show some internal designs. Chysler does not make the CVT unit themselves.

Ok I found a good detailed info and pictures of the tranny, CVT with gears for sure.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/CVT.html

#12 ·
Precisely its works on the same principle as a snowmobile drive system only much more complex and the shifting into the simulated gears is as you say the same as a sled. The ratio of the band between the two drives at each end of the steel band. I am not certain of the gears function but reverse is part of that system. They have been know to cause problems according to one dealer.

All is good now. Back onto the Egg Nogg. Enjoy

#16 ·
ok guys, it took me a while to get my compass in for a diagnostic due to a hectic work/school schedule. Last week (jan. 9) I called up enterprise and gave them a run down of what has been going on...just to recap, it makes a weird winding sound and clunks just before a stop. I told them I think it might be the transmission shifting improperly. They advised me to bring it in and they would out source it to a transmission shop (i.e aamco or a chrysler dealer). Since it was easier for me just to take the jeep to aamco I had it checked out myself. Aamco kept it for a day and their service writer explained to me that there was nothing wrong with the transmission and what I was experiencing is normal for the cvt transmission. He said that the winding was the belt around the cones in the transmission adjusting to varying speeds. He said that the cvt transmission is normally loud. He gave me a printed out diagnostic that said "no transmission issues at this time". The jeep still makes the sounds and clunks before a stop, doesnt seem to be getting worse but is still annoying as hell! A co worker of mine suggested that maybe the U joint needs to be replaced. Im debating if I should just take to the dealer. I've got about 9,000 miles left on my warranty through enterprise.

Advice please?

#17 ·
Advice

IT'S in Warranty = TAKE TO DEALER ASAP

Be sure they rep puts all the symptoms or problems on the work order.

See what the dealer does or says. No other Compass is doing that and they cannot demonstrate it I am sure.

Once its on record you can come back to them if the problems is more cronic or take it to another dealer. But get it in, its and expensive job and the dealer should look at the drive train (U joints) etc automatically.

#18 ·
Rotors are too soft/ Service Bulleting for Rotors

First post! First jeep!
Recently bought this 08 compass sport from enterprise car sales with 60,000 miles on it. Within the last couple weeks (2), I've noticed a weird sound coming from what I think might be the transmission. It's real subtle and I only hear it just before coming to a complete stop or taking off from a complete stop. To me it sounds like it's the transmission shifting hard. Like a grinding or friction sounds. I'm limited in my maintenance knowledge. Any suggestions or has anyone experienced this?? Should I take it in??

----------------------------------------
Yes, I am experiencing the same thing right now. I have approximately 46,000 miles on my vehicle. The dealership told me that the grinding noise is from Chrysler Jeep putting too soft a rotor on the vehicle. The noise you hear is actually the brake pad rubbing against a warped rotor.
I just called Chrysler Jeep today and they may warranty this, because of the Service Bulletin. \
Let me know if this helps you out.

#20 ·
Chrysler Jeep and Mopar are manufacturing "Throw Away Rotors"

I did get the problem fixed, but No Thanks to Chrysler Jeep. They refused to help me with your defective rotors.
They told me that since it was a wear item and out of warranty they wouldn't be able to help me.
Also, I found out that Chrysler Jeep and many other auto manufactures are using what are called "Through away rotors". This was interesting, because I discovered that they are all producing the rotors softer in material, and the brake pads stronger. This way the pads will never wear out completely, but the rotors will. However, if the rotors where before the brake pads, then the owner of the vehicle will be left not only to replace the brake pads, but replace the pads which are still good, because when rotors start to warp it is too late and the brake pads will need to be replaced because the warped rotors will leave unevenness in the brake pad. So, the manufactures know this and they continue to produce the vehicles this way, so that they can not only make money on brake pads, but as well make money on rotors. As far as wear items, all my parts will for now on be after market!
I have reported this to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration and the Better Business.

#22 ·
Same noise only when engine has properly heated up

I have a 2009 Jeep Compass Sport FWD (North Edition).
Have 135,000 km on it.
When I bought it in 2012 with 93,000 km on it, the noise wasn't audible. After I took it to Chicago from Toronto in 2014, the noise started becoming more audible. It happens while the car is downshifting to the lowest gear before coming to a stop. It generally occurs at 1000 rpm but only while downshifting and not while accelerating. Another thing I noticed is that this only happens after the engine temperature reaches 25% of the temperature scale. Looks like the dealers see no problem with this from you guys' posts.

#23 ·
My first post to this forum!

Hello everyone! I got my first jeep used (m a student) 2007 compass FWD. It has a 170,000 Km on it. I have noticed the same very subtle wining noise first time. It only happens when my engine is running for a while and I make a stop or when I start moving. Funny thing, the person I got the jeep from, he had just re-done the entire transmission - Checked on car proof record. Then I rechecked with him and he said yes, it was rebuilt with all the new internal transmission parts. But now after, 5000 Km on it, I am hearing this noise. I don't know if this sound is normal. It might be because the transmission was just rebuild in my car. dhruvgpatel - Did you have any problem after that? Do I need to do any thing so that I can avoid possible problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.