Jeep Compass Forum - View Single Post - Very concerned about my transmission/4WD system
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 04-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Jasmine

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Seems there are two schools of thought on funny noises. Some of us panic at every sound we haven't heard before, others ignore warning sounds and wait for a crisis. For those in the first category, I'd ask, Were you paying attention on your test drive? I'd ask furthermore, Did you drive more than one vehicle of the same make/model? Back in '94 my Wife and I were looking for a new Jeep and we test drove several. One in particular had a very noisy drive-train while the others were quiet. Guess which one we didn't buy. We would have preferred green, but we got a blue one. If we were totally infatuated with the color we would have bought a vehicle with potential trouble; as it was we got 100,000 trouble free miles out of it.

On the other hand, some people will ignore everything. As a teenager I remember a friend came to visit my father. I was outside mowing the lawn and as I went by her car I noticed it parked with the front wheels turned toward me revealing outrageous one-sided wear on her tire -- clearly the lower ball-joint was close to failing. Pop gave her the heads up. Early in my career I worked with a guy who didn't believe idiot lights -- if the generator light came on, there must be something wrong with the light. So-o-o . . . he had the light disabled. When it wouldn't start, he replaced the battery, then the starter, then finally a new mechanic said, "Hey, your generator has failed and your warning light's not working." Golly gee. And yes, that is a true story -- he was that stupid. Nice man, but had no common sense when it came to cars. (People don't wear their signs.)

Is my Compass perfect? No, I add a quart or two of oil between changes; I'm not pleased, but I can cope with that. My only complaint is that since its a known issue, they should have a oil level warning light and not rely on the owner to pull the dipstick, especially on a car with less than 200,000 miles on it. Yes, mine makes funny noises. I brought it to my dealer and got the software update. Now that my snow tires are off I still hear the noise at 50+MPH and I've chosen to live with it. I also have a good enough relationship with my dealer that if I had a premature problem they'd find a way to take care of me.

We don't live in a perfect world, but I doubt all these Compasses are going to disintegrate in the first 50,000 miles. Mine is neither the best nor the worst car I've ever owned (about 2 dozen) but it gets me there. It goes through snow (why I bought it) and gets remarkable fuel economy (an unexpected benefit). I figure the improved fuel economy (compared to my '08 Patriot) about pays for the extra oil.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome