My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2018 drivers power lumbar support

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  arudlang 
#1 ·
Hey everyone the other day I was driving and didn’t notice my wallet feel from my pocket and was stuck on the lumbar support button and soon I felt and heard a subtle pop and now the bottom part of the lumbar support doesn’t work. Is there a fix for this or do I have to take it to the stealership?

#2 ·
It kinda sounds like it popped the drive belt (I assume there is a belt for this) from the servo motor. Can you till hear the servo working if you press the button? If you can find a way to reach or access the motor, you should be able to pop it in. Otherwise dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
See I was under the impression that the lumbar was an inflated rubber bag/pillow of sorts, pumped full of air. I hear what I think is a pump when I want the lumbar increased, when I decrease the lumbar there is no sound which is consistent with a valve simply opening and letting out some air. I don't know for sure though. If it is an air-filled bag it would make sense that it would literally "pop" when over-pressurized.

I have no idea if warranty would cover that or not but I don't know what your odds are of fixing yourself either. I guess you'd have to replace that bag somehow? Which would involve taking the seat material apart? That does not sound like a good time. I would bring it to the dealer.

#4 ·
See I was under the impression that the lumbar was an inflated rubber bag/pillow of sorts, pumped full of air. I hear what I think is a pump when I want the lumbar increased, when I decrease the lumbar there is no sound which is consistent with a valve simply opening and letting out some air. I don't know for sure though. If it is an air-filled bag it would make sense that it would literally "pop" when over-pressurized.

I have no idea if warranty would cover that or not but I don't know what your odds are of fixing yourself either. I guess you'd have to replace that bag somehow? Which would involve taking the seat material apart? That does not sound like a good time. I would bring it to the dealer.

Hmm I never considered it to be an air filled bag. That is a possibility for sure. But if that is the case, wouldn’t the lumbar support “settings” change with the ambient temperature, since the gas would expand or contract with changing temperatures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Tripod said:
But if that is the case, wouldn’t the lumbar support “settings” change with the ambient temperature, since the gas would expand or contract with changing temperatures?
Only very slightly, I would think? I'm imagining its generally not more than 1, maybe 2 PSI in there and then the % change that comes with temperature change would be very low. I'm just guessing out loud though, I really don't know for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.