My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Buying into the Dream

8K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Cherokee 
#1 ·
Wish I was writing as a Compass owner. A month ago I thought I bought one. Wrote an order for one, that's for sure, left my deposit for a Black Limited 4x4 with a sunroof and 5 speed. Needed those options. Seems the 5 speed Limited is a rare bird? Anyways was given the impression of a 4 to 6 week wait but date would be certain once VIN was assigned. Still waiting. Glad to have found this site! Great to be able to read about the experiences you Compass drivers are having. Looking forward to being able to join.
-Ger

#2 ·
i cant believe it still is taking that long to get one(that stinks) i ordered one the last week of last oct, i finally got it jan 4th, i would of thought by now things would of speed up a bit...............on a side note, in 1998, i special ordered a subaru impreza 2.5 rs(first year of that car also) it only took 3 1/2 weeks

#3 ·
I ordered mine on April 11 and was told 8-10 weeks... so 4-6 would be nice!!! I'm still waiting on my VIN number too :(

I'm in no rush though, my car is still going strong, I just wanted it for summer, it'll be fun to drive!!

I guess it's good that there is such a long wait, means a lot of people are buying them! :D

#4 ·
And waiting. . . .

Went by my dealer today, salesman is sure WE will have the VIN any day now. It's been a month, cripes!! The claim is that once we have the VIN the car is out of the plant within a week, another couple of weeks to get the car from Belvidere to Montreal and it is ready for delivery.
Too bad we can't arrange to pick up the vehicle right from the plant.
3 weeks from VIN eh? Oh whatever . . . just get me a vin.
Checked out a new trail rated Red Patriot Limited while there, a head turner, sure, but not a Compass, and not available as a 5 speed.
Sign me, still waiting.

#5 ·
I checked the Jeep inventory online for one of the dealers near me ... which is about 3 hours from Montreal ... and there are two Limited 4x4s with 5 speeds on their lot right now. One is red, the other is silver. I wonder if it's a problem to get a vehicle from another dealer? Of course this means crossing the border (in your case) but, hey, if one's available down this way, why not give it a try?

The dealer in Elizabethtown has a Sport 4x4 with a 5 speed (just a hour and a half from Montreal), and the dealer in Burlington Vermont has a Limited 4x4 with a 5 speed (color is green).

#6 ·
That would be my thought, too. I could have had my dealer secure one from another dealership in Texas. They do that, but they have to trade something off of their lot to do it, and most balked about having to trade a hot seller like a Wrangler for a Compass. Like I told them, do you want my money or not?

#7 ·
I went through the same thing. Bugged the dealer everyday. I ordered mine in July. Didn't end up finally getting it until October. I even ordered before they started advertising, thinking I beat the "rush." But that didn't work. I guess it was well worth the wait though. The car stick with my name on it was pretty cool.

#8 ·
Thanks for the help

I am sure the dealer looked for a ready car, maybe would bring from Ontario, but not from Vt or NY. I think US delivered cars may have some differences, like day time running lights, I dunno if US requires this. Also things like battery warmer and block heaters are included in Canada but optional in US.

Once I specified Black, Limited, 5-speed & sunroof I pretty well limited the choice to a factory order. Will have to endure the wait, meanwhile my old car (93-325is BMW) is running super fine and the weather has finally turned nice giving me a chance to run my 75-TR6. I know from past experience that once the new car arrives it will be hard to get me out of it.

#10 ·
And the Wait Continues

Four to six weeks?
Well six week have passed, still waiting confirmation of VIN which I guess will be like a two week warning.
Can not understand why they can not really give a date.
My dealer did locate a green Limited 5-speed in Atantic Canada, no sun roof, will wait for my black one.
Ironic that my dealer is sitting with at least a half dozen black Compasses-All AUTOMAIC :(
Are most people chosing Automatic??

#11 ·
I went with the auto because it did not like the feel of the standard. I have driven standards since I started driving but the standard did not feel like the German sticks that I was use to. My CVT Compass was on the lot and I got it in 2 days.

#12 ·
So I have my vin now, it's been a month. I'm surprised you don't even have a vin yet... probably because they are not making as many Compass' with stick?? I'd be really mad if they told me 4-6 weeks and still have no idea when it's coming... :S

#13 ·
Congratulations, you should have your Compass in a couple of weeks? Meanwhile - I try not to be mad waiting news (wasted negative energy) . . . but disappointed would be an understatement.
Maybe I was expecting too much . . . like one of the Big 3 was going to go out of it's way "to make it my way" :?:
N-E way will update if I ever get my VIN!

#14 ·
I don't know, I'd be upset since other people are purchasing theirs after you and getting it sooner. It shouldn't matter whether it's stick or not, you should see if maybe they can put in a rush order as a dealer order or something... I heard someone else did that on this board and it worked out for them.. maybe they can try locating one again with the stuff you want? Did you check inventory yourself online on the jeep.ca website?

#15 ·
THE RACE IS ON

Ok, OK, Maybe I should have been be angry.
N-E ways. . . this afternoon my sales guy from the dealership called and let me know my car is finally scheduled, should have the VIN and finally predict the ETA tomorrow.
Looks to me like our Compasses will be coming out of the same production run. VINs may be close.
I guess u cud say that the race is on between our cars :!:
FYI - I understand this is the last production run for '07 . . . next bunch will be 2008's. That's what my sales guy told me.
TAFN - good luck

#16 ·
Hey so did you get your estimated delivery time? I was supposed to call today to find out mine too, but I want to be in suspense a little longer LOL... would be cool if we got ours the same time! They're probably together in the plant right now, our Compasses will be brothers!

Wow so they will already be making the 2008's?? Will there be any differences? Some people say to wait till after the first production year, but I just couldn't!

A couple weeks left for us :D

#17 ·
I didn't hear any further regarding the delivery and will be away from the office today/tomorrow but maybe will call the dealer to see if he has a date for me.
Can't imagin too much will change for '08. They have already introduced an appearance package with aggressive front spoiler in the US. In so far as buying any car from the first year production - many people are nervous - figure better wait the second year to let any bugs be sorted out - but as these cars are built in different production runs during the ones coming out now in '07 would have had the few corrections needed to the earlier 2007's (those built in '06) already thought out. I'm with you on the not waiting.

BTW-what color is my "Black Beauties" sibling going to be?

Wondering also about the dealers rust proofing, undercoating & paint protector products. I have found professional rustproofing (oil) done anually really prolongs the life of the car, but a bit messey for a couple of days, the dealer uses a hot vapourized wax as a rust proof and claims it is a one time application?

#18 ·
Your Compass' brother is going to be green! I couldn't decide with the white, but I didn't like the type of white and I first fell in love with the vehicle in green on Driving Televison so I stuck with it.

I don't really like the new body kit in the US, I prefer it the way it is.

I was also wondering about the undercoating and all that. My dad is a mechanic and forbids me to buy it from the dealer, he thinks it's way too expensive at over $600 and says I can get it done for like $150, but what kind of quality??? So I don't really know what to do. I know the dealer tries to make extra money, like with the warranties and all that, which i declined also. I think I'll just do the undercoating through another place, and not too sure about rust proofing and paint sealer :S any thoughts?

Has anyone else purchased these through the dealer or elsewhere?

Thanks!

#19 ·
The Green Machine, great colour! Dark colours I think always much better choice for our climates. The sun heats them up more than white or light colours, this is important rust wise also as dark colour cars get hotter just sitting in the sun-evaporating moisture more quickly then lighter coloured cars. I think that white cars are cooler and don't push the A/C so much in the hot but they may be more rust prone.
When I got my BMW in '93 dealer advised not to do aftermarket rust proof or would lose the 5yr warrenty on the factory rust proof. They really do good factory job on rust proof as the car is still very clean today. Main rust on front fenders started two years ago, but these were replaced with aftermarket fenders following a collision eight years ago. When rust appeared I went for oil spray (for about $75 they spray eveywhere with a clean rustproofing oil) it does drip down around the car for a week or so but works well as the rust has not really advanced over the last two winters.
Likewise paint sealant, I have found this does a good job protecting the finish. I don't know if you wax on top of it or not, years ago I "Permashined" a new car and the recomendation was not to wax on top of "Permashine", the finish stayed great for years. But if you do wax, when you compound the finish you are abraiding dirt from the protectant coating iso the paint.
No matter where you do rust proofing and undercoating, I do think it very important in our climate where we are subject to tons of road salts for the worse half the year.

#20 ·
Whats the difference between rust proofing and undercoating? I'm going to do it through someone my dad knows, I don't think it voids the warranty, they didn't say anything about that. Besides, the Jeep warranty is only 3 years bumper to bumper so it won't be rusting in that time.

What part of Canada are you from?? I see more and more Compass' on the road every day and it's making me anxious!!

#21 ·
Rustproofing is a process where they spray product into all the body cavities through small holes around the vehicle as well as all over the undercarriage. The rustproofer I have been going to over the years uses the same clear oil product all over but I believe that the Jeep dealer offers a clear wax product that is sprayed warm into the body cavities and has a second product used to undercoat the undercarriage and wheel well areas. Paint protector is like a permanent wax job. My Jeep dearler recommends rust proofing and told me other after market protection will not invalidate the warrenty but (of course) that there product is much cleaner and longer lasting.
Even paying attention, I don't notice too many Compass on the road in Montreal. Like I don't see them daily as I do Libertys and Cherokees, Calibers, etc . . .

#22 ·
Hey so did you get your compass yet?? They still don't have a ship date for mine :(

I'm going to do the undercoating, but not through the dealer. The rustproofing and paint sealer, I dont think so, I'll just wax it once a year or so... I park in the garage so it should be ok with just undercoating, I'll take good care of it :)

What did u decide to do?

#23 ·
kwc said:
I checked the Jeep inventory online for one of the dealers near me ... which is about 3 hours from Montreal ... and there are two Limited 4x4s with 5 speeds on their lot right now. One is red, the other is silver. I wonder if it's a problem to get a vehicle from another dealer? Of course this means crossing the border (in your case) but, hey, if one's available down this way, why not give it a try?

The dealer in Elizabethtown has a Sport 4x4 with a 5 speed (just a hour and a half from Montreal), and the dealer in Burlington Vermont has a Limited 4x4 with a 5 speed (color is green).
Yeah but U.S. cars don't meet Canadian regulations (No DRL's for one) so you have to do all the paper work to get them registered. Plus the spedometer would be in MPH not Km/H.

Hard to believe that the U.S. is now the only country in the world that doesn't use the metric system.
:roll:

#25 ·
Re: And the Wait Continues

i2canoe said:
Four to six weeks?
Well six week have passed, still waiting confirmation of VIN which I guess will be like a two week warning.
Can not understand why they can not really give a date.
My dealer did locate a green Limited 5-speed in Atantic Canada, no sun roof, will wait for my black one.
Ironic that my dealer is sitting with at least a half dozen black Compasses-All AUTOMAIC :(
Are most people chosing Automatic??
I'm sure they are. Automatics outsell Manuals by a HUGE margin in North America. If you don't count sports cars and large trucks I'd bet 95+% of all vehicles in NA are Auto.

#26 ·
mcatenacci said:
Hey so did you get your estimated delivery time? I was supposed to call today to find out mine too, but I want to be in suspense a little longer LOL... would be cool if we got ours the same time! They're probably together in the plant right now, our Compasses will be brothers!

Wow so they will already be making the 2008's?? Will there be any differences? Some people say to wait till after the first production year, but I just couldn't!

A couple weeks left for us :D
There will be a few minor option differences / package differences for 2008. The main thing is that most of the bugs will be worked out - that's why I'm waiting for the 2008's. Higher resale value too. Plus if you ever read the CR article on First Model Year vehicles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.