My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Auto-Stick, What do you use it for?

21K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Blackberry 
#1 ·
So I'm curious, does anyone use the autostick other than just when you're bored? I don't know too much about stick driving, I've always driven automatic. What do you use Auto-Stick for? and exactly how do you use it?

:idea:

#3 ·
about autostick

The auto stick is an option for people who want to be able to select the gears at their own discretion as in downshifting to save brake pad wear or selecting a gear under load for hill climbing or trailer pulling, or just plain fun. You can do this on any standard automatic, but on the auto stick shift mechanism, the stick work is easier as in one-touch. It really depends on the driver and what he or she wants. I hope this helps.

#4 ·
Mostly for fun, but yes from being an old manual driver from way back (plus I ride a motorbike) I like being able to down shift do save on breaks.
Plus its fun when taking off to haul a little... but with gas prices these days.. I don't do that much anymore.

Some things I don't like about it, it's easy to hit the level and get into "manual" mode unexpectedly.

Also on my last car, when in "manual" mode, if you floored it, it would auto downshift for you if you didn't do it manualy. On the Compass if your in 6th gear and floor it... it dosn't do anything.

#6 ·
Also on my last car, when in "manual" mode, if you floored it, it would auto downshift for you if you didn't do it manualy. On the Compass if your in 6th gear and floor it... it dosn't do anything.
Since it is an old post, but came up I agree with the last post (about snowy conditions etc), but the "it doesn't do anything" part, well, if you had a manual trans and floored it in fifth gear it wouldn't downshift for you know would it? Defeats the purpose of "manual" control.

#5 ·
I know that this is an old post, but thought I would add my 2 cents worth. When we bought our Compass, 4 weeks ago, being that I would be the primary driver, I in fact wanted the manual transmission, but bought what was on the lot, with the auto stick. Living in Minnesota, I find that a manual transmissions is best for those days when we have snow and the city hasn't plowed yet. I will be using my autostick to down shift when braking at snowy/icy intersections, thus reducing the possibility of sliding through icy intersections.

#9 ·
First of all break linings are cheap. The CVT seems to have a natural drag when off the accelerator as it is especially when its not been driven very long but coasts a bit better after its hot I gather. But its no where near the coasting characteristics of a typical automatic. The band may wear or cause overheating of the fluid especially if the Compass is not equipped with the cooler option.

Hence I would not opt for downshifting manually to bring it to a stop or slowing it down. Mountain grades or extremely icy surface may be an exception in the interest of safety to prevent lost of control if the ABS and ESP are in need of assistance. But I would check with Chrysler and/or several dealer tech on this first. A CVT is north of $1500 and pad are south of $50 so I'll opt for the later and leave the stick in AUTO.

#10 ·
I would totally have to agree with tripplec... people think it's good to downshift an auto tranny to save brakes. Well, yes it is. It will save your brakes. But it will break your tranny - it can, had it happen. The forces that are pushing the vehicle forward (speed, momentum, gravity etc) put excessive strain on the tranny - in manual vehicles, it's the clutch that takes the hit not a torque converter. Again, brakes = cheap, tranny = not.

#12 ·
I have to agree with eric, also, very well said there!

- Cherokee

#15 ·
I find the rev goes up fairly easily on its own. But doing it manual does give a more dramatic change and response. However, I would no be do much downshifting to come to a stop. You're transferring stress to the transmission (CVT in this case). If you new the cost of replacement of the CVT. You wouldn't consider it ever. Brake pad are less than free in comparison. But you'd probably have to pay for pads but a CVT could send you in shock!!!

Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.