My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2018 Jeep Compass Issues

135K views 230 replies 68 participants last post by  Henrytcat 
#1 ·
Hi I'm Mike..

Watching everyone for the most part enjoying there 2017+ Jeep Compass, I have a 2018 I took delivery on 11/15 with 28 miles on the odo. I was browsing thru several forums and decided to register on here.

My issue is that I have a 2018 Jeep Compass Limited with basically every option imaginable and I cannot use more than half of them due to the Radio having a problem.

At random, without reason, if you remote start or hit the push start on the Jeep the radio will not power on, won't acknowledge your touch or nothing. The heated seats and heated steering wheel stay on, the backup camera, the backup sensors, AM/FM/XM, the NAV, nothing works. I get an error on the lane assist on occasion as well. Also when this happens, the odometer just blinks at you and doesn't accurately record mileage driven.

The dealer has twice looked at it and the first time they yanked power from the battery and reset all the modules, that fixed it for a week and then the problem came back but only worse and faster. They've had my car for the better part of 2-3 days and after not hearing an update I called today to only be told that they can reproduce the problem, Chrysler Techs over email, chat/phone have provided countless suggestions to fix the problem only for it to not fix it.

The next plan of attack is to run a "software update" that isn't released yet to potentially remediate this issue. The dealer told me that Chrysler told them in the next few days to few weeks it will be released. So right now, my Jeep which is really for my wife is sitting at a dealer about 10 miles away waiting for Chrysler to release an update. They refuse to replace the radio, any wire harnesses as it's a costly fix. The ink just dried on the contract and already got an email from ally telling me my first payment is middle of next month but we haven't been able to enjoy the car long enough to merit sending money.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Sounds like it will be a buy back with only 700 miles on it. Dealer is already suggesting that to be a high probability based on the lack of confidence that they nor Chrysler can fix the electrical gremlins in it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yikes, not sure I have heard of any with issues that extreme yet, sorry to hear that. On the upper-end models the electrical systems in these things are exceedingly complicated and intertwined, way beyond the average dealership tech and with it being so new there is really not many people out there who know much about them. The 8.4" infotainment system in them is 4th gen uconnect so even techs who have experience with the mechanically similar renegades are not going to have much of an advantage there.

I've managed to put my uconnect in a confused state once or twice by accident, usually with the root cause being my impatience pressing too many buttons too fast. Specifically, I've had problems when I use remote start, hop in, accidentally try to put it in gear without pressing start (engine dies) then mashing the start button in the same instant and that seems to confuzzle it, but shutting it down for a while and restarting resolved the problem and if I don't do anything too frantically I have no problems with mine at all.

I think they should swap out your whole uconnect system and see if that helps, doesn't seem like it should be that hard to do. If it wasn't for the mileage in the cluster misbehaving I'd give it pretty good odds of success but.. its pretty suspicious that the cluster is having issues also.

Worst case, maybe they can swap you for an identical jeep that works? I know its got to be pretty discouraging to be having these issues on a brand new vehicle but our 2nd gen 2017 Limited works pretty much perfectly and we like it so much, I hope they can get you fixed up one way or another.

#3 ·
Keep an eye out for an airbag recall on the Compass as well early next year. My ordered Compass has been held in storage in Mexico and my dealer has many he can't sell because of bad airbags. He showed me a paper n it and that a recall is coming early next year on many already sold.

#7 ·
DETROIT -- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV said Wednesday it is recalling about 8,000 late-model Jeep SUVs to fix defective airbags that pose a potential hazard to front-seat passengers.

The move affects 2018 model year North American market Jeep Compass sport-utility vehicles manufactured between early September and Nov. 19, including 7,000 vehicles sold in the U.S., the company said.

The second-generation compact SUV is made at a factory in Toluca, Mexico, and made its debut in the U.S. as a 2017 model year vehicle earlier this year.

Fiat Chrysler said it was informed by a supplier that airbags installed in certain Jeep Compass models may contain loose fasteners. The auto maker said it was unaware of any accidents, injuries or warranty claims stemming from the defective modules, but cautioned vehicle owners to "avoid using the front passenger seat until the situation is remedied."

The company said it would send recall notices next month and that Jeep Compass SUVs still on dealer lots will be fixed before delivery to customers.

#4 ·
I know the pain your going through. My Compass was in the dealership the day after I bought it for transmission leak. Took 2.5 weeks to fix that.
Than 10,000 miles later it was leaking again this time they replaced the transmission. So far 5000 miles all is well. Will see if it makes it another 5000.
My local dealer had been great in dealing with this even though I did not buy the vehicle from them.
I hope they can resolve your problems. Just yesterday the wife and I were just out for drive listening to FM radio when it when it just went out and rebooted just like you first start the vehicle. Hope that is not the sign of something more.

#5 ·
Our Trailhawk 8.4 Nav did that pretty regularly the first month or so - random reboots, or the camera would stay on, sometimes for over 2 minutes of driving! Those issues seemed to go away with time and it hasn't really given us any trouble in the past 2-3 months. :) I guess it just needed to settle into itself. smile:

My 7 inch uConnect in my Latitude hasn't given me any trouble, except it keeps triggering "music muted" when streaming talk radio via bluetooth ... not sure what is triggering it, but it seems very random, and may be something voice activated (from the guy on the radio - not me!) I haven't used the CarPlay via USB much yet to test it out - hopefully I won't have that problem. I will find out when I get a resident lightning cable for my car and can use CarPlay regularly instead of bluetooth. wink:

#6 ·
Johnadam said:
Keep an eye out for an airbag recall on the Compass as well early next year. My ordered Compass has been held in storage in Mexico and my dealer has many he can't sell because of bad airbags. He showed me a paper n it and that a recall is coming early next year on many already sold.
I'm going to have to disregard this until some proof is submitted. After the Takata incident I find it hard to believe any automaker would be putting out new vehicles with continued airbag issues, seems incredibly doubtful.

#9 ·
We have had no problems with ours at all.

My wife said once it wouldn't start, but that was the first couple of days of owning it, and I think she just was unfamiliar with it enough and was doing something wrong.
(probably didn't have her foot on the brake)

#11 ·
#13 ·
Has anyone had problems with 2018 compass with the gas pump clicking off? Just got the jeep and during my first fill-up, the pump kept clicking off. I will try it at a different pump at the gas station next time but I am concerned, it took a long time to get it close to full.

#16 ·
Try a different station all together.
There are a couple around town here that are too sensitive and I have issues with them cutting it off short.

At those stations, I just fill at full speed to about half tank, then slow it down (next indent on the pump handle) and it works fine.

#14 ·
I feel rather lucky. Other than re-balancing the tires, having front rotor locks installed that were forgot at the factory, and a couple interior rattles, I've had no problems. I attribute it to the skid plates I added :). Made everything stronger! The new Toyo Celsius CUV tires I put on in place of the OE Destination LE2s ride better, grip better, and have impacted MPGs by 1.

#15 ·
Week 2 of the saga:

No update, my Chrysler care liaison is out of office this week. Software update still not ready and since we are starting to enter a stage where it's the holidays I don't feel confident it will be ready before the new year if they shut operations down early. If it's not ready by the weeks end I'm raising hell.

#17 ·
Update: Dealer wants to try a TSB update that was not found previously to fix issue related to radio and other stuff.

If this doesn't fix it, ETA will be January 2018 before software update is released to address my current dilemma at which point I'll ask for them to buy it back.

#18 ·
chinaam said:
Has anyone had problems with 2018 compass with the gas pump clicking off? Just got the jeep and during my first fill-up, the pump kept clicking off. I will try it at a different pump at the gas station next time but I am concerned, it took a long time to get it close to full.
I have had some issues with this and found that if I don't shove the fill nozzle all the way down it works fine, so I will poke it down till it stops then pull it up 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch and then it fills without issue. A buddy told me his new Dodge Ram is the same way.

Mudman1 said:
I've had no problems. I attribute it to the skid plates I added . Made everything stronger!
I did my first serious poking around the bottom of the buggy last week when I did the first oil change. I can see how the front skid plate especially would strengthen and stiffen the front end. From your pictures on that thread it looked like the oil filter and drain plug are still accessible via cutouts on the front plate? Thats a nice touch.

#19 ·
So far my only problems so far are that airbag recall (which my dealer called me about but hasn't called me back to scheudle to bring it in) and that my auto stop/start was malfunctioning.

I had an error message on my dash saying that it was unavailable, but after turning the car off/on, it worked again.

Buggy?

#21 ·
Start/stop has many conditions where it will disable itself. There's about a whole page of them listed in the owner's manual.

The airbag recall isn't the usual recall you've been hearing about in the news, it's for hardware (nuts) that may not have been properly tightened. So not the usual takata airbag recall that's been going on with all manufacturers for the past year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Update: I called Chrysler Care and told them what has been conveyed. The dealer wants to replace the radio after hounding my sales guy to get some kind of update since the General Manager and the Service Department refuse to call me, while that's fine and dandy, they aren't waiting to conduct the recommendation of the software update which has been personally acknowledged as an unknown ETA at this point. The radio replacement will not fix the problem, it might get that car out of the dealerships hand and reset the clock on total days in the shop but I personally feel the issue is electrical at this point. I've been given the claims that something will be done to compensate me nothing is confirmed... Chrysler Care told me they didn't want to replace the radio as they felt that wasn't the problem (I agree with them). I've asked at this point to have Chrysler do a buy back, they said it doesn't warrant one at this stage. Funny.. You guys owned it longer than I have at this point. The radio won't be in until Friday (thats because after constant nagging they just ordered it today, i'm not stupid), which means that they won't have it installed until next week.

#23 ·
That sucks. My stable has now had 7 different Mopar vehicles. A Dakota, 2 '15 Cherokees, a '98 XJ, '12 2500 Cummins, '17 Compass and now a '18 Cherokee Latitude. The one with the MOST problems was the 15 Cherokee Trailhawk that I ditched for this wagon. The others were really good vehicles. I'd be livid if I was paying on a brand new vehicle and being treated like that. How long have you owned it?

#22 ·
I did my first serious poking around the bottom of the buggy last week when I did the first oil change. I can see how the front skid plate especially would strengthen and stiffen the front end. From your pictures on that thread it looked like the oil filter and drain plug are still accessible via cutouts on the front plate? Thats a nice touch.[/QUOTE]

They are the factory / stock New Compass Trailhawk plates and bolts. My Fumoto valve and oil filter can be serviced with the plates up. Peace of mind and some better stiffening over stock Latitude build.

#27 · (Edited)
When I adjust the Forward Collision Preferences settings it show me "selected" and I can back to the main menu and come back again to this option to check and continues selected, but when the ECU sleeps (turn off the vehicle) and I turn the vehicle back on after 30 seconds the Forward Collision Preferences are showed set in the default values, my custom values are not saved, so it is very dangerous to trust this security function.
Also at the time of starting the advance in the morning, when the vehicle is cold by the ambient temperature, the front brakes produce a loud noise when braking gently, as when the ABS is activated during a sudden braking, but after a few minutes of normal driving and braking this stop happening.

My Fuel efficiency (MPG) is very poor my vehicle, I have 9.4 MPG
Power loss and the MPG's shown in the official manufacturing web page is EPA EST. MPG 22 city/30 hwy. https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabilities/fuel-efficiency.html
Additionally I am experiencing loss of power during the start of the drive or when starting again the vehicle's progress after stopping at a traffic light or at the time of revamping a vehicle, I have also experienced shaking as if the engine of the vehicle were going to turn off, without going through and the "check engine" indicator does not activate

Instrument cluster is very bright at night, affecting the ability to see the roadway. Instrument cluster does not dim when attempting to adjust brightness. Instrument cluster does not adjust to compensate from daylight to darkness.
Rear view camera is extremely bright at night, affecting the ability to recognize probable hazards in roadway. Due to this brightness, the eyes take time to readjust to the dark environment when vehicle is put back in drive.
These issues occur when the vehicle is in motion and stationary.

#28 ·
Jeep Notes

11/15/2017 - Leased Jeep thru Dealer.

11/16/2017 - Jeep has first issue with Radio, nothing works (radio, backup camera, Nav, Ability to shut off heated seats, heated steering wheel, options to enable/disable features)

11/17/2017 - Drop Jeep off to Dealer to report issue, remedy was provided by just unhooking battery and critical computer packs. 2 1/2 hours in shop. Everything seems OK and sent on our way.

11/24/2017 - Same issue occurs from 11/16/2017. Dealer closed for Holiday weekend. Cannot shut off heated seats or steering wheel. Cannot use other features.

11/27/2017 - Dropped Jeep off at Dealer, given 3 day loaner. Explained Radio issue, was happening at time of drop off.

11/30/2017 - Called Dealership for update after not hearing from them, was told they were going to wait on a software update to remediate issue. Rental was extended indefinitely.

12/04/2017 - Called Dealer, was told Chrysler authorized a radio replacement, different from software update. Was not conveyed this was occurring, had to call dealer to get update again. Dealer said radio ordered today, promised Friday.

12/04/2017 - Call Chrysler Care, my rep is out, backup rep explains Chrysler authorized radio rather than waiting for update (this was just to get car back on road, may not address real issue).

12/08/2017 - Call Dealership at 3pm that Friday, ask what the status of Radio is, Service Manager explains it has not arrived even though promised it would be here and installed. Was told to check back on Monday. Wait another 3 days.

12/11/2017 - Call Chrysler Cares, leave voicemail to rep that was in charge of my case. Call the Dealership, radio still has not arrived as of 10am. Service Manager explains it should come in today between 10am-1pm. I asked for a tracking number. One could not be found. Car now on week 3 of being at dealership. No ETA’s given, nothing promised.

I'm sure everyone is happy with there Compass. Just not me...

#29 ·
Finally got our Jeep back yesterday and the radio works OK. The piano black trim around radio is gouged to hell with what looks like a flat head screw driver. I went back to the dealer and told them it wasn't acceptable and they are replacing the trim. Meantime, this morning the start/stop feature was throwing an error code that said service the start/stop feature.

Also ran into an issues using the SirusXM Guardian remote start feature, you would remote start car, get in, hit the stop/start ignition button and it would shut the car off, blink the check engine light and the electronics would stay on. Only way to completely power car off was using app to shut the car off even though it stopped running once I got in to resume the run.

#31 ·
Sorry to hear you have such bad luck with your vehicle. I've been very lucky with mine. Aside from a couple of small issues when I bought it...many of which I fixed...It has been problem free. I had some dash rattles that I addressed. Assembly forgot front rotor lock bolts. One tire was out of balance and I had a road force balance done that I paid for. I've added new fog lights, skid plates, a pan heater and other stuff. Running like a top. I sure hope it stays that way. I bought the Mopar Lifetime with $100 deductible as this one is going to stick around in the stable for a while. Manual transaxles / transmissions are getting harder and harder to find.

Reactions: dawm
#36 ·
Been able to drive the car now for the better part of a week and a half now.

The Good:

Dealership managed to ....
Bad pin connector on trans module for remote start fixed.
Screwed up trim pieces replaced for Radio and HVAC.
Talk with Chrysler Care to get my first payment back within 10 days.

The Bad:
Replacement radio has cracked screen... dealer is ordering replacement glass.

Just got a recall notice in the mail from Chrysler about recall regarding PAB (Passenger Air Bag) and some crappy hardware that could cause serious injury if not fixed during accident(currently no parts or fix available, Chryslers solution is to not let anyone sit in the front seat..

#37 ·
That airbag recall is serious, it's for loose nuts that may have fallen into the airbag in the plant. Someone had the bright idea to put a box of nuts above the bin with airbags in it. So it has the potential to rocket metal nuts at the passenger when deployed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Yeah I know the recall is serious, the big bold underlined letters in the letter made it obvious.

how long has that recall been out now?

Also, does everyone have this same issue I do where this car never shifts beyond 7th gear? I switch to manual mode to see what gear it sits in the city or highway and it never goes beyond 7th gear. You can force it to 8th or 9th but the car won't go there on its own without your intervention. What's the point of having those gears if they are never used?

#39 · (Edited)
The T73, “AirBag” recall was dated November 21,2017

My TrailHawk 9sp auto might be somewhat different. It’s my understandind the TrailHawk 1st gear is used in “rock” mode only. My auto shifts from 7 to 8th gear a little over 52mph. I’ve had it up to 87mph and never shifted to 9th. I also read where 9th was designed for outside the US where speed limits on highways are typically higher.
But that begs the question: why not reprogram the US Jeeps to upshift (to 9th) over 65mph where our mpg starts dropping dramatically? What a waste!
But thanks for the reminder....I could always manually upshift!
As far as yours not shifting to 8th....there is a “Manufacturer Communication Number: 18-082-17” from
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/COMPASS/SUV/AWD#manufacturerCommunications which says some 18 Compasses where built with old “Power Train” software. I asked my dealer about that but they will not update unless you have an indicated problem....which seems you do.
Which begs another question, which JeepCares might elaborate on:
My 2017 Grand Cherokee had a software update I found & installed by USB from:
https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html
It addresses 10 potential problems...and yet I was never notified. Again the dealer cited their protocols that a indicated problem must exist for them to update...and yet that update is required to do a map update.
Just baffles me why they seem to update by different means, OTA, USB, Dealer only Flash....and they expect you to keep tract of it or develope a problem....before they will address it.

#41 ·
My wife purchased a Compass Limited yesterday but we will not be taking delivery till after the new year. All dealer Compasses on the lot are grounded for the airbag issue. So we tagged one that is in coming shipment. Our salesman told us FCA isn't sure what the resolution will be to fix recalled vehicles. Seems to be a loose fastener issue with airbags on passenger side and either the dash needs to be removed to fix or some way to apply some type of adhesive up behind dash to keep hardware from loosening further or falling out. Buyer beware, I certainly wouldn't want a brand new vehicle that had its dash removed (Rattle,Rattle,Rattle) or some glued up hardware. Just saying.

#45 ·
Hi ... I'm having very similar issues you have been describing with my 2017 Trailhawk. Started at about 700 miles, still ongoing at 2000 miles ... turn the vehicle on, touch screen goes dead, radio / backup camera won't work, check engine light is on, low fuel light is on with a full tank of gas (if the center screen even comes on - sometimes that won't come on), turn signals won't work. I've gotten the "service stop/start" message, a "service shifter" message, a message that "start/stop not active due to low battery charge" or something like that ... ongoing issues that have not been fixed by multiple software updates, new HVAC transfer switch or something like that. I was told by the service dept. at my dealership that "they checked with Chrysler and no other Jeep Compass that they are aware of is having these problems" ... now on my 5th trip to the dealership ... they refused to give me paperwork the last two trips first saying "the paperwork isn't ready, come in next week and pick it up" ... then when I had yet another issue and brought it in the following week they tell me "this is on the same ticket, so we'll get you the paperwork when we resolve everything." Basically, they aren't giving me documentation to make it harder for me to file Lemon Law.

The thing is, I do actually love this vehicle ... it checks every box for me. 5 trips to dealership and 15 days without the vehicle in the first 3.5 months of ownership and now the dealership playing the documentation game with me just isn't acceptable. Called FCA and opened a case ... next step is to take it to another dealership that is 30 miles a way ... fun times!

Good luck to you, I'll be following your thread to see what the end results are!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.