2018 Jeep Compass Issues - Jeep Compass Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 224 Old 11-28-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

2018 Jeep Compass Issues

Hi I'm Mike..

Watching everyone for the most part enjoying there 2017+ Jeep Compass, I have a 2018 I took delivery on 11/15 with 28 miles on the odo. I was browsing thru several forums and decided to register on here.

My issue is that I have a 2018 Jeep Compass Limited with basically every option imaginable and I cannot use more than half of them due to the Radio having a problem.

At random, without reason, if you remote start or hit the push start on the Jeep the radio will not power on, won't acknowledge your touch or nothing. The heated seats and heated steering wheel stay on, the backup camera, the backup sensors, AM/FM/XM, the NAV, nothing works. I get an error on the lane assist on occasion as well. Also when this happens, the odometer just blinks at you and doesn't accurately record mileage driven.

The dealer has twice looked at it and the first time they yanked power from the battery and reset all the modules, that fixed it for a week and then the problem came back but only worse and faster. They've had my car for the better part of 2-3 days and after not hearing an update I called today to only be told that they can reproduce the problem, Chrysler Techs over email, chat/phone have provided countless suggestions to fix the problem only for it to not fix it.

The next plan of attack is to run a "software update" that isn't released yet to potentially remediate this issue. The dealer told me that Chrysler told them in the next few days to few weeks it will be released. So right now, my Jeep which is really for my wife is sitting at a dealer about 10 miles away waiting for Chrysler to release an update. They refuse to replace the radio, any wire harnesses as it's a costly fix. The ink just dried on the contract and already got an email from ally telling me my first payment is middle of next month but we haven't been able to enjoy the car long enough to merit sending money.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Sounds like it will be a buy back with only 700 miles on it. Dealer is already suggesting that to be a high probability based on the lack of confidence that they nor Chrysler can fix the electrical gremlins in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 01:57 PM

Yikes, not sure I have heard of any with issues that extreme yet, sorry to hear that. On the upper-end models the electrical systems in these things are exceedingly complicated and intertwined, way beyond the average dealership tech and with it being so new there is really not many people out there who know much about them. The 8.4" infotainment system in them is 4th gen uconnect so even techs who have experience with the mechanically similar renegades are not going to have much of an advantage there.

I've managed to put my uconnect in a confused state once or twice by accident, usually with the root cause being my impatience pressing too many buttons too fast. Specifically, I've had problems when I use remote start, hop in, accidentally try to put it in gear without pressing start (engine dies) then mashing the start button in the same instant and that seems to confuzzle it, but shutting it down for a while and restarting resolved the problem and if I don't do anything too frantically I have no problems with mine at all.

I think they should swap out your whole uconnect system and see if that helps, doesn't seem like it should be that hard to do. If it wasn't for the mileage in the cluster misbehaving I'd give it pretty good odds of success but.. its pretty suspicious that the cluster is having issues also.

Worst case, maybe they can swap you for an identical jeep that works? I know its got to be pretty discouraging to be having these issues on a brand new vehicle but our 2nd gen 2017 Limited works pretty much perfectly and we like it so much, I hope they can get you fixed up one way or another.
post #3 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 02:15 PM

Keep an eye out for an airbag recall on the Compass as well early next year. My ordered Compass has been held in storage in Mexico and my dealer has many he can't sell because of bad airbags. He showed me a paper n it and that a recall is coming early next year on many already sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 03:03 PM

Garage
I know the pain your going through. My Compass was in the dealership the day after I bought it for transmission leak. Took 2.5 weeks to fix that.
Than 10,000 miles later it was leaking again this time they replaced the transmission. So far 5000 miles all is well. Will see if it makes it another 5000.
My local dealer had been great in dealing with this even though I did not buy the vehicle from them.
I hope they can resolve your problems. Just yesterday the wife and I were just out for drive listening to FM radio when it when it just went out and rebooted just like you first start the vehicle. Hope that is not the sign of something more.
post #5 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 03:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisHawk View Post
I know the pain your going through. My Compass was in the dealership the day after I bought it for transmission leak. Took 2.5 weeks to fix that.
Than 10,000 miles later it was leaking again this time they replaced the transmission. So far 5000 miles all is well. Will see if it makes it another 5000.
My local dealer had been great in dealing with this even though I did not buy the vehicle from them.
I hope they can resolve your problems. Just yesterday the wife and I were just out for drive listening to FM radio when it when it just went out and rebooted just like you first start the vehicle. Hope that is not the sign of something more.
Our Trailhawk 8.4 Nav did that pretty regularly the first month or so - random reboots, or the camera would stay on, sometimes for over 2 minutes of driving! Those issues seemed to go away with time and it hasn't really given us any trouble in the past 2-3 months. I guess it just needed to settle into itself.

My 7 inch uConnect in my Latitude hasn't given me any trouble, except it keeps triggering "music muted" when streaming talk radio via bluetooth ... not sure what is triggering it, but it seems very random, and may be something voice activated (from the guy on the radio - not me!) I haven't used the CarPlay via USB much yet to test it out - hopefully I won't have that problem. I will find out when I get a resident lightning cable for my car and can use CarPlay regularly instead of bluetooth.
post #6 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnadam
Keep an eye out for an airbag recall on the Compass as well early next year. My ordered Compass has been held in storage in Mexico and my dealer has many he can't sell because of bad airbags. He showed me a paper n it and that a recall is coming early next year on many already sold.
I'm going to have to disregard this until some proof is submitted. After the Takata incident I find it hard to believe any automaker would be putting out new vehicles with continued airbag issues, seems incredibly doubtful.
post #7 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnadam View Post
DETROIT -- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV said Wednesday it is recalling about 8,000 late-model Jeep SUVs to fix defective airbags that pose a potential hazard to front-seat passengers.

The move affects 2018 model year North American market Jeep Compass sport-utility vehicles manufactured between early September and Nov. 19, including 7,000 vehicles sold in the U.S., the company said.

The second-generation compact SUV is made at a factory in Toluca, Mexico, and made its debut in the U.S. as a 2017 model year vehicle earlier this year.

Fiat Chrysler said it was informed by a supplier that airbags installed in certain Jeep Compass models may contain loose fasteners. The auto maker said it was unaware of any accidents, injuries or warranty claims stemming from the defective modules, but cautioned vehicle owners to "avoid using the front passenger seat until the situation is remedied."

The company said it would send recall notices next month and that Jeep Compass SUVs still on dealer lots will be fixed before delivery to customers.
post #8 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 04:46 PM

Well, since I bought mine off the lot in August I think I am ok
post #9 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 06:10 PM

We have had no problems with ours at all.

My wife said once it wouldn't start, but that was the first couple of days of owning it, and I think she just was unfamiliar with it enough and was doing something wrong.
(probably didn't have her foot on the brake)

2017 Compass limited 4x4
post #10 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I'd post a video or something but apparently I have to post more content before I can.
post #11 of 224 Old 11-29-2017, 10:48 PM

I have also seen the dealer communication regarding the airbag recall.

As to the electrical resets, a TSB was issued for a similar problem in September according to NHTSA.gov requiring a cluster replacement. Good luck with that. Mine was back ordered for a month before it was decided to just replace the car.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/J...Communications
post #12 of 224 Old 11-30-2017, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah they verified that there is no open recalls on this Jeep. So this is something totally new and unique I guess.. Jeep/Chrysler called me today and said ETA is 2 weeks on this supposed software update.
post #13 of 224 Old 12-03-2017, 04:53 AM

Has anyone had problems with 2018 compass with the gas pump clicking off? Just got the jeep and during my first fill-up, the pump kept clicking off. I will try it at a different pump at the gas station next time but I am concerned, it took a long time to get it close to full.
post #14 of 224 Old 12-03-2017, 01:22 PM

I feel rather lucky. Other than re-balancing the tires, having front rotor locks installed that were forgot at the factory, and a couple interior rattles, I've had no problems. I attribute it to the skid plates I added . Made everything stronger! The new Toyo Celsius CUV tires I put on in place of the OE Destination LE2s ride better, grip better, and have impacted MPGs by 1.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
post #15 of 224 Old 12-04-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Week 2 of the saga:

No update, my Chrysler care liaison is out of office this week. Software update still not ready and since we are starting to enter a stage where it's the holidays I don't feel confident it will be ready before the new year if they shut operations down early. If it's not ready by the weeks end I'm raising hell.
post #16 of 224 Old 12-04-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaam View Post
Has anyone had problems with 2018 compass with the gas pump clicking off? Just got the jeep and during my first fill-up, the pump kept clicking off. I will try it at a different pump at the gas station next time but I am concerned, it took a long time to get it close to full.
Try a different station all together.
There are a couple around town here that are too sensitive and I have issues with them cutting it off short.

At those stations, I just fill at full speed to about half tank, then slow it down (next indent on the pump handle) and it works fine.

2017 Compass limited 4x4
post #17 of 224 Old 12-04-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Update: Dealer wants to try a TSB update that was not found previously to fix issue related to radio and other stuff.

If this doesn't fix it, ETA will be January 2018 before software update is released to address my current dilemma at which point I'll ask for them to buy it back.
post #18 of 224 Old 12-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaam
I have had some issues with this and found that if I don't shove the fill nozzle all the way down it works fine, so I will poke it down till it stops then pull it up 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch and then it fills without issue. A buddy told me his new Dodge Ram is the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1
I've had no problems. I attribute it to the skid plates I added . Made everything stronger!
I did my first serious poking around the bottom of the buggy last week when I did the first oil change. I can see how the front skid plate especially would strengthen and stiffen the front end. From your pictures on that thread it looked like the oil filter and drain plug are still accessible via cutouts on the front plate? Thats a nice touch.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #19 of 224 Old 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM

Garage
So far my only problems so far are that airbag recall (which my dealer called me about but hasn't called me back to scheudle to bring it in) and that my auto stop/start was malfunctioning.

I had an error message on my dash saying that it was unavailable, but after turning the car off/on, it worked again.

Buggy?

2018 Black Jeep Compass Latitude
post #20 of 224 Old 12-05-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Update: I called Chrysler Care and told them what has been conveyed. The dealer wants to replace the radio after hounding my sales guy to get some kind of update since the General Manager and the Service Department refuse to call me, while that's fine and dandy, they aren't waiting to conduct the recommendation of the software update which has been personally acknowledged as an unknown ETA at this point. The radio replacement will not fix the problem, it might get that car out of the dealerships hand and reset the clock on total days in the shop but I personally feel the issue is electrical at this point. I've been given the claims that something will be done to compensate me nothing is confirmed... Chrysler Care told me they didn't want to replace the radio as they felt that wasn't the problem (I agree with them). I've asked at this point to have Chrysler do a buy back, they said it doesn't warrant one at this stage. Funny.. You guys owned it longer than I have at this point. The radio won't be in until Friday (thats because after constant nagging they just ordered it today, i'm not stupid), which means that they won't have it installed until next week.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #21 of 224 Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIanMalcolm View Post
So far my only problems so far are that airbag recall (which my dealer called me about but hasn't called me back to scheudle to bring it in) and that my auto stop/start was malfunctioning.

I had an error message on my dash saying that it was unavailable, but after turning the car off/on, it worked again.

Buggy?
Start/stop has many conditions where it will disable itself. There's about a whole page of them listed in the owner's manual.

The airbag recall isn't the usual recall you've been hearing about in the news, it's for hardware (nuts) that may not have been properly tightened. So not the usual takata airbag recall that's been going on with all manufacturers for the past year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #22 of 224 Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 PM

I did my first serious poking around the bottom of the buggy last week when I did the first oil change. I can see how the front skid plate especially would strengthen and stiffen the front end. From your pictures on that thread it looked like the oil filter and drain plug are still accessible via cutouts on the front plate? Thats a nice touch.[/QUOTE]

They are the factory / stock New Compass Trailhawk plates and bolts. My Fumoto valve and oil filter can be serviced with the plates up. Peace of mind and some better stiffening over stock Latitude build.

Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

post #23 of 224 Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
Update: I called Chrysler Care and told them what has been conveyed. The dealer wants to replace the radio after hounding my sales guy to get some kind of update since the General Manager and the Service Department refuse to call me, while that's fine and dandy, they aren't waiting to conduct the recommendation of the software update which has been personally acknowledged as an unknown ETA at this point. The radio replacement will not fix the problem, it might get that car out of the dealerships hand and reset the clock on total days in the shop but I personally feel the issue is electrical at this point. I've been given the claims that something will be done to compensate me nothing is confirmed... Chrysler Care told me they didn't want to replace the radio as they felt that wasn't the problem (I agree with them). I've asked at this point to have Chrysler do a buy back, they said it doesn't warrant one at this stage. Funny.. You guys owned it longer than I have at this point. The radio won't be in until Friday (thats because after constant nagging they just ordered it today, i'm not stupid), which means that they won't have it installed until next week.
That sucks. My stable has now had 7 different Mopar vehicles. A Dakota, 2 '15 Cherokees, a '98 XJ, '12 2500 Cummins, '17 Compass and now a '18 Cherokee Latitude. The one with the MOST problems was the 15 Cherokee Trailhawk that I ditched for this wagon. The others were really good vehicles. I'd be livid if I was paying on a brand new vehicle and being treated like that. How long have you owned it?

post #24 of 224 Old 12-06-2017, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1 View Post
How long have you owned it?
Next Friday 12/15 will be the one month mark.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #25 of 224 Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaam View Post
I know of one person who had issues with this very thing (he has posted about it on a facebook compass group) and it had something to do with the seals in his gas tank. If you have the same problem at a different pump I would bring it in and have it looked at for sure.
post #26 of 224 Old 12-08-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Dealer must have sent my radio snail mail.. was ordered Monday, was suppose to be here today (Friday). Never showed. Now I have to wait over the weekend to see where the status is on Monday. Pretty close to a buy back. Counting down the days.
post #27 of 224 Old 12-08-2017, 09:15 PM

When I adjust the Forward Collision Preferences settings it show me "selected" and I can back to the main menu and come back again to this option to check and continues selected, but when the ECU sleeps (turn off the vehicle) and I turn the vehicle back on after 30 seconds the Forward Collision Preferences are showed set in the default values, my custom values are not saved, so it is very dangerous to trust this security function.
Also at the time of starting the advance in the morning, when the vehicle is cold by the ambient temperature, the front brakes produce a loud noise when braking gently, as when the ABS is activated during a sudden braking, but after a few minutes of normal driving and braking this stop happening.

My Fuel efficiency (MPG) is very poor my vehicle, I have 9.4 MPG
Power loss and the MPG's shown in the official manufacturing web page is EPA EST. MPG 22 city/30 hwy. https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabiliti...fficiency.html
Additionally I am experiencing loss of power during the start of the drive or when starting again the vehicle's progress after stopping at a traffic light or at the time of revamping a vehicle, I have also experienced shaking as if the engine of the vehicle were going to turn off, without going through and the "check engine" indicator does not activate

Instrument cluster is very bright at night, affecting the ability to see the roadway. Instrument cluster does not dim when attempting to adjust brightness. Instrument cluster does not adjust to compensate from daylight to darkness.
Rear view camera is extremely bright at night, affecting the ability to recognize probable hazards in roadway. Due to this brightness, the eyes take time to readjust to the dark environment when vehicle is put back in drive.
These issues occur when the vehicle is in motion and stationary.

Last edited by FabStark; 12-09-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #28 of 224 Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Notes

11/15/2017 - Leased Jeep thru Dealer.

11/16/2017 - Jeep has first issue with Radio, nothing works (radio, backup camera, Nav, Ability to shut off heated seats, heated steering wheel, options to enable/disable features)

11/17/2017 - Drop Jeep off to Dealer to report issue, remedy was provided by just unhooking battery and critical computer packs. 2 1/2 hours in shop. Everything seems OK and sent on our way.

11/24/2017 - Same issue occurs from 11/16/2017. Dealer closed for Holiday weekend. Cannot shut off heated seats or steering wheel. Cannot use other features.

11/27/2017 - Dropped Jeep off at Dealer, given 3 day loaner. Explained Radio issue, was happening at time of drop off.

11/30/2017 - Called Dealership for update after not hearing from them, was told they were going to wait on a software update to remediate issue. Rental was extended indefinitely.

12/04/2017 - Called Dealer, was told Chrysler authorized a radio replacement, different from software update. Was not conveyed this was occurring, had to call dealer to get update again. Dealer said radio ordered today, promised Friday.

12/04/2017 - Call Chrysler Care, my rep is out, backup rep explains Chrysler authorized radio rather than waiting for update (this was just to get car back on road, may not address real issue).

12/08/2017 - Call Dealership at 3pm that Friday, ask what the status of Radio is, Service Manager explains it has not arrived even though promised it would be here and installed. Was told to check back on Monday. Wait another 3 days.

12/11/2017 - Call Chrysler Cares, leave voicemail to rep that was in charge of my case. Call the Dealership, radio still has not arrived as of 10am. Service Manager explains it should come in today between 10am-1pm. I asked for a tracking number. One could not be found. Car now on week 3 of being at dealership. No ETA’s given, nothing promised.

I'm sure everyone is happy with there Compass. Just not me...
post #29 of 224 Old 12-13-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Finally got our Jeep back yesterday and the radio works OK. The piano black trim around radio is gouged to hell with what looks like a flat head screw driver. I went back to the dealer and told them it wasn't acceptable and they are replacing the trim. Meantime, this morning the start/stop feature was throwing an error code that said service the start/stop feature.

Also ran into an issues using the SirusXM Guardian remote start feature, you would remote start car, get in, hit the stop/start ignition button and it would shut the car off, blink the check engine light and the electronics would stay on. Only way to completely power car off was using app to shut the car off even though it stopped running once I got in to resume the run.
post #30 of 224 Old 12-19-2017, 02:39 PM

2018 compass gas pump issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua_who View Post
Try a different station all together.
There are a couple around town here that are too sensitive and I have issues with them cutting it off short.

At those stations, I just fill at full speed to about half tank, then slow it down (next indent on the pump handle) and it works fine.

I have been to different stations. Same issue. Pump clicks off unless you hold partially out at half speed. Getting it looked at tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in