Motor Burning Oil - 2018 Jeep Compass - Page 3 - Jeep Compass Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #61 of 72 Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
Complete BS in bold
I think they should have said something like between 5-15 mins after the engine is shut off. But the warmed up engine part is correct. If you measure the oil level of cold engine, it will be ~half qt lower than what is read for warmed engine (especially if ambient temperature is also cold). 0w-20 oil has significant thermal expansion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 PM

Garage
I disagree and I check all oil cold regardless of what FCA says, when you change your oil and add oil to the crankcase and oil filter (5.5qts) and it reads on the dipstick where ever it is ( slighlty above the half way point on the cross hatch on my dipstick ). Thats where the oil needs to be every time I check it cold. 5 min after the engine is off is a joke, I'd wait at least all of 15 for the oil to get back in the pan. To each there own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I think they should have said something like between 5-15 mins after the engine is shut off. But the warmed up engine part is correct. If you measure the oil level of cold engine, it will be ~half qt lower than what is read for warmed engine (especially if ambient temperature is also cold). 0w-20 oil has significant thermal expansion.
post #63 of 72 Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
I disagree and I check all oil cold regardless of what FCA says, when you change your oil and add oil to the crankcase and oil filter (5.5qts) and it reads on the dipstick where ever it is ( slighlty above the half way point on the cross hatch on my dipstick ). Thats where the oil needs to be every time I check it cold. 5 min after the engine is off is a joke, I'd wait at least all of 15 for the oil to get back in the pan. To each there own
And if you read the oil level of the warm engine after an oil change, it reads at the very top of the crosshatch, so I think the crosshatch is designed for warmed up engine. If you were to add another half qt of oil to a cold engine to fill to the top of the crosshatch, it would be overfilled when the engine is warm. I think they added that "warm engine" part so that people do not accidentally overfill the engine oil based on half qt lower reading of the cold engine. In the end, it doesnt matter as long as you know where 5.5qts of oil correspond to on the crosshatch for cold and warm engine. And I agree with 5 mins being too short, I generally wait 10-15mins.

The reason why I check for warmed up engine is because my readings change based on the ambient temperature. This winter we had few cases of wildly swinging temperatures (32F one night and -15F next night), based on the overnight low, my cold morning reading was slightly different, but they were the same for warmed engine. If daily swings are low, it would probably not matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 Old 03-20-2019, 10:28 AM

Mine blew the engine at 10,700 miles. They replaced the engine (took almost a month) and then they had to replace the tensioner and serpentine belt. Went through arbitration and was told that FCA replace the engine out of the goodness of their hearts. Also, the arbitrator used to work for Chrysler. I will never buy another FCA product. I thought Jeep (and I know it is a Fiat 500) was supposed to have high quality. I wish I would have kept my Ford Fusion.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #65 of 72 Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 AM

Motor burning oil

Daughter bought 2018 compass has 1800 miles on it low oil pressure light came on she took it to dealer they told her no oil on the dip stick.Was told the compass burns oil they have no reason why.What really made me furious was they charged her $78 to change the oil.number 1 brand new vehicle shouldn’t burn oil and shouldn’t have to change after 1800 miles.The service rep told her since it burns oil to keep an eye on it and add oil when needed.She talked to someone else they told her bring it back in 1000 miles if the vehicle is still burning oil may have to replace motor.Just sad that she has to go through this she has worked hard to save for this vehicle it is her first new one and this is what you get.
post #66 of 72 Old 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I've mentioned this on another thread. My Compass is using a lot less oil now that I'm up to 30,000 miles. Since my last oil change (25,000 miles I've added a quart and I'm down just a tad on the dipstick. I estimate I'm getting about 3,000/qt. When I'm down to needed another quart I'll just get the oil changed anyway, so really I'm using about a quart between oil changes.

Agreed, no engine should use this much, and my sympathy to those who's engines are using far more than mine, but it seems that this engine improves with age. Not quite like a fine wine does, but its better than it was.
post #67 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 04:32 PM

I just heard about this oil consumption issue and I started worrying. My wife and I both own a 2018 Compass. We love the car. The reason I worry is because I do everything when it comes to the cars- she just drives. My wife is in outside sales and puts a lot of miles on her car and I do check the oil on my car without thinking, but it is a different story with my wife's car. Anyway, I did an oil change at 5,000 on my car and my wife's car at 7,000. Oil level a little low on my wife's car- 1/2 a quart. I used penzoill ultra platinum and mopar filters from Walmart. Penzoil was 23.00 for five quarts. Now, I can only find 0-20 penzoil ultra for 45.00 online. Walmart has 0-20 valvoline full synthetic for 23.00 that meets FCA spec MS-????, and I was thinking I would use that oil but do not want this oil consumption issue to start. I read the the Compass is factory filled with penzoil. I just checked my oil and it still looks clean after putting 4,000 miles after the last change. Anyway, will valvoline pass the test and Basically get two oil changes for the price of one?
post #68 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat62 View Post
I just heard about this oil consumption issue and I started worrying. My wife and I both own a 2018 Compass. We love the car. The reason I worry is because I do everything when it comes to the cars- she just drives. My wife is in outside sales and puts a lot of miles on her car and I do check the oil on my car without thinking, but it is a different story with my wife's car. Anyway, I did an oil change at 5,000 on my car and my wife's car at 7,000. Oil level a little low on my wife's car- 1/2 a quart. I used penzoill ultra platinum and mopar filters from Walmart. Penzoil was 23.00 for five quarts. Now, I can only find 0-20 penzoil ultra for 45.00 online. Walmart has 0-20 valvoline full synthetic for 23.00 that meets FCA spec MS-????, and I was thinking I would use that oil but do not want this oil consumption issue to start. I read the the Compass is factory filled with penzoil. I just checked my oil and it still looks clean after putting 4,000 miles after the last change. Anyway, will valvoline pass the test and Basically get two oil changes for the price of one?
Mopar uses penzoil platinum 0w-20, not ultra platinum. If you do a oil change at the dealer and cross reference their product code, it turns out to be penzoil platinum 0w-20. I think any major car parts store sells penzoil platinum 0w-20. You can use that.
post #69 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 05:12 PM

I use any 0-20. Right now its Mobil 1. AYK any 0-20 is synthetic or maybe a blend. I don't think they can get conventional oil that thin, but I'm not a chemical engineer.

Last edited by Jasmine; 03-28-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #70 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat62 View Post
I just heard about this oil consumption issue and I started worrying. Anyway, I did an oil change at 5,000 on my car and my wife's car at 7,000. Oil level a little low on my wife's car- 1/2 a quart. Walmart has 0-20 valvoline full synthetic for 23.00 that meets FCA spec MS-????, Anyway, will valvoline pass the test and Basically get two oil changes for the price of one?
oil consumption light/engine shut down would have happened before your 5k and 7k oil change, 1/2 qt down doesn't sound like any issues.

"We recommend you use SAE 0W-20 API Certified Engine Oil, meeting the requirements
of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix.
Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade."

according to their website, Valvoline™ Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil (formerly SynPower™) and Valvoline™ Modern Engine Full Synthetic Motor Oil meets MS-6395 cert.

stock 2018 Compass Sport 2wd Jazz Blue Appearance and Tech. Package

Last edited by NewCsport; 03-28-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #71 of 72 Old 03-30-2019, 09:41 PM
DAT

Have you had any success with arbitration because I'm having the same exact issue (and the by the way, my neighbor across the street is too)...new lease- car shuts down at 4100 miles because engine burned all of the oil. The dealer said that these engines are burning oil quickly and you need to not exceed 3500 miles per oil change. Told me to drive this defective vehicle for another 1000 miles so they can assess how much oil is being burned per 1000 miles and determine whether or not to replace motor. By the way, did anyone ever tell you at the dealer where you purchased your car that the oil MUST be changed within 3500 miles or it may shut down? Me and my neighbors dealers did not inform us of that issue.... Seems incredibly non- coincidence that my neighbor and I would have the same exact engine issue with our new leases!
post #72 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
. . . you need to not exceed 3500 miles per oil change . . . did anyone ever tell you at the dealer where you purchased your car that the oil MUST be changed within 3500 miles or it may shut down?
No, I don't think anyone is saying oil must be changed every 3500 miles, but if you're only getting 1000/qt then you've used half your oil by that point so what's left is working extra hard and wearing out sooner, so if you're not topping it off, then your oil is going to fail sooner.

As mentioned elsewhere on this thread, oil consumption is an issue with all new technology engines, not just FCA engines. To reduce internal friction they are increasing the tolerances. Basically, the specs are literally looser. However,with a looser spec, and allowing for a few thousandths +/- then those on the outside of the limits are going to use more oil. Those on the inside limits are probably where engines were typically before this.

Conventional engines used some oil during the break-in period, even 1000 miles/qt, but by 3-4,000 that would level off to zero consumption. Not realizing that these new tech engines use more oil I checked mine anyway. What surprised me was that at 10,000 I was still running 1,000/qt.
As I said above, my oil consumption has come down to where I'd expect an old engine to be (200,000 miles). Since my Patriot went to nearly 300,000 I was used to checking it and maybe adding some after the 250,000 mark. I can't explain why mine is improving. 30,000 is an incredibly long break-in period, but maybe that's what it is. What I'm saying is, there is hope!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in