clunking issues starting, stopping and turning - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 06-19-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

clunking issues starting, stopping and turning

Hello all, I'm glad I found this forum!

My wife just bought a 2017 "new" compass a couple of months ago...right after we bought it we noticed that it makes a fairly concerning clunk when she turns left or right...she also stated that sometimes it makes the same noise when stopping or taking off...sometimes it feels like it's pushing her....We're taking it to our preferred jeep dealer (not the place we bought it from) as it's under factory warranty still....they seem to think that it sounds like a transmission issue. Anyone else have similar experiences? Thanks for taking the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-20-2018, 02:16 AM

While I can't say I've personally had a trans issue, I did have clunking occurring while driving and it ended up being the sway bar links. They are made of glass and break easily giving the illusion that it's powertrain related but really it's just suspension.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 AM

I get a clunking as well from my 2018 compass limited 9 speed. I believe it is related to the issue discussed many times before concerning the humming noise. It is the engaging an disengaging of the 4 wheel drive system through the power transfer unit and rear deferential. I get the humming noise and If I shift the gear selector or hit the 4 wheel lock button, the humming stops and I get a clunk. It can be very loud or quieter when the vehicle is left to operate automatically. One time I shifted down a gear because the tranny couldn't find the correct gear itself, and the clunk was so bad I thought the car was going to fall apart. I believe someone said in another post -- dealer advised, that it was an over modulation which caused the drive shaft to strike its mid support bushing. I'm taking it to the dealer soon, as I will accept the humming noise but the clunking noise can't be normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmummery View Post
I get a clunking as well from my 2018 compass limited 9 speed. I believe it is related to the issue discussed many times before concerning the humming noise. It is the engaging an disengaging of the 4 wheel drive system through the power transfer unit and rear deferential. I get the humming noise and If I shift the gear selector or hit the 4 wheel lock button, the humming stops and I get a clunk. It can be very loud or quieter when the vehicle is left to operate automatically. One time I shifted down a gear because the tranny couldn't find the correct gear itself, and the clunk was so bad I thought the car was going to fall apart. I believe someone said in another post -- dealer advised, that it was an over modulation which caused the drive shaft to strike its mid support bushing. I'm taking it to the dealer soon, as I will accept the humming noise but the clunking noise can't be normal.
Sorry I never replied to this. Our dealer stated that they couldn’t find the issue and that other ppl with compasses have had the same issues. Is super frustrating.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM

Garage
At 15k miles I am having this clunk now as well...my dealer doesn't find any issues. He did state that there is a clutch in the transmission that could make some noise when it is cold. I am noticing that this does seem to happen within the first 5 minutes of driving the vehicle in the morning. Man...it is concerning, but I have some comfort in the fact that there is a 5 year 60k mile drive train warranty.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk - Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in