Electronics “entertainment”.. arrrrggghhh! - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By REVIGOR

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 08-07-2018, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Electronics “entertainment”.. arrrrggghhh!

Hi folks,
Oh boy, what a ride this 2018 Compass of mine has been.
The “entertainment” system has been frustrating beyond belief.
Don’t get me wrong, on the days it works, it’s pretty cool. Unfortunately that’s not all the time. Pretty much every time I start the car it’s about 70/30 whether I’m going to enjoy the drive or not (oil consumption not withstanding).
Sometimes it all looks like it’s working but alas nothing makes any noise. Radios are supposed to, right? Podcasts? Hmm..
Sometimes the electric seat heaters are greyed out. Sometimes the climate control is just off and turning it on gives me full cold.
Sometimes it tricks me into thinking it works but stops working pretty soon afterward. Apple CarPlay? Well pretty much anything can happen to that, usually it disconnects at some inopportune time.
I really hope for everyone else’s sake this dog is a one off. I’m dumping it so I hope the next poor person who gets it doesn’t have the issues I’m having or at least finds it funny.

Good luck out there in Jeep land. This was my 8th new Jeep. Loved them prior to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-07-2018, 04:14 AM

I hear the new Ford Bronco is coming; what do you think?
Falcogeorge likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2018, 12:26 PM

My Uconnect has had a bug or two but 99% of the time works perfect. Issues that I did have might have actually traced back to the Body Control Module because mine and several others have been replaced and has seemed to help with a lot of the gremlins.

Unfortunately this is getting to be a fact of life (buggy infotainment) and not just for us in Jeep, Apple Carplay is super buggy in our 7 inch radio in our Honda Civic and the other day here while using it for navigation on a road trip it started freaking out and beeping at us and all kinds of weirdness. These manufactures are not giving sufficient quality control to these areas or spending enough money to get quality developers to do the software and it stinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-07-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
My Uconnect has had a bug or two but 99% of the time works perfect. Issues that I did have might have actually traced back to the Body Control Module because mine and several others have been replaced and has seemed to help with a lot of the gremlins.

Unfortunately this is getting to be a fact of life (buggy infotainment) and not just for us in Jeep, Apple Carplay is super buggy in our 7 inch radio in our Honda Civic and the other day here while using it for navigation on a road trip it started freaking out and beeping at us and all kinds of weirdness. These manufactures are not giving sufficient quality control to these areas or spending enough money to get quality developers to do the software and it stinks.
To be honest I am not surprised. Considering all the times my computer, phone, TV, etc crashed, froze and restarted on its own, I came to accept that anything that has a computer in it will fail from time to time. This hold true for these entertainment systems, they are basically computers.
So I try to tolerate it as long as these dont happen all the time. But if there are constant issues, it of course indicates a problem.

I am more concerned about all these sophisticated ECU, safety and driver supporting computers. So much stuff is controlled by computers that even one fails, car become inoperable. In the past, you can start and drive an engine even after removing half of the spark plugs(it would run like **** and knock like it going to explode, but it still started), now you cant start it even when your foot is not an the break pedal .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in