2017 Compass Problems - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 08-14-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

2017 Compass Problems

Hi All,
I found this website recently when searching for the latest issue with my wife's Compass, which I will get to in a bit. To start off, we bought the Compass in May of 2017, we were the first to purchase the new style from the dealership. My wife loved the way it looked, loved it on the test drive, so it seemed perfect. That lasted for approximately a week. Almost immediately we were plagued with the Uconnect system and rear view camera constantly freezing and rebooting. Brought it in to the dealer and they had no fix, said we needed to wait for an update to the software. OK, it's just a software issue, it will get fixed. Or not. Over a year later it still freezes occasionally, and decides to reboot randomly while driving. It is completely annoying.

The next issue occurred over the winter, when the rear passenger door wouldn't latch when it was below freezing. It would take sometimes up to 5 minutes of constantly slamming the door to get it to finally latch. We brought the Compass in to the dealership at least 3 times for the issue, and they were never able to replicate it, I can only assume because everything warmed up by the time they looked at it. They refused to replace anything because they didn't know what was wrong, and essentially treated us as if we didn't know how to close a door. We actually contacted Jeep about the situation, as the weather warmed up and this was no longer an issue, but we knew that by this winter we would be most likely past the 36,000 mile warranty, and wanted to make sure it would be covered if it happened again. They said they would take care of it.

The third issue occurred in January, we were driving through the snow and switched the Selec-Terrain to snow. Everything worked fine, great feature! Until we stopped the car, did our errands, got back into the car, turn the knob to Snow, and nothing happens, except a service engine light flashing on the screen. We brought it back to the dealership where they performed an update to the control module. At this point we had the car for 7 months with 17,000 miles on it, and had brought the car into the dealership approximately a dozen times. Not acceptable at all.

The latest problem just occurred last week, and this one is the most troubling to me. My wife was stopped at a red light, the car shuts off like it normally does with the Auto Stop feature, then won't turn back on. After 5 minutes she gets it to start, and it's flashing the service engine light, so she drives immediately to the dealership, who tells her that she ran out of oil and she should change her oil more often. It was about 6000 miles since her last oil change, no oil change indicator light came on her car, she has changed the oil for the past 1 year 3 months either when the light comes on, or sometimes sooner. She has done as early as every 5000 miles, or the latest at 7500 miles. The car now has 32,000 miles on it and this has never been an issue. The oil ended up being 2 quarts low, yet no indicators appeared that there was low oil. The dealer recommended changing the oil every 5000 miles since they said this car burns more oil than usual, and they said they have no idea why Chrysler would put in the manual to wait until the oil change indicator appears. My wife contacted Jeep again, and their response was essentially copy and pasting the manual that says you should check the oil level every time you fuel up. Also, all modern cars burn oil. Really? My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee never did, my current 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't. My friends brand new Honda doesn't.

After researching oil consumption, I found this website, and realized we aren't the only ones with issues. Seeing other people's problems at low mileage, we should almost feel lucky that we made it 32,000 miles. This has been the most frustrating car we have ever owned. I've had 2 Jeeps and loved them, my sister owns a Wrangler, my dad is getting ready to buy a new Wrangler, my best friend has owned 3 Jeeps. My lease is up next year, and I was looking forward to buying a brand new Grand Cherokee. Now, I am not so sure. Between the lousy service department at the dealership, and the lack of caring from Jeep itself, they make me want to stop recommending Jeep to friends and family. If you made it this far, thanks for reading and letting me vent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-14-2018, 06:15 PM

One thing I want to point out is that, oil change indicator is strictly a software based system. It doesn't check the oil quality or the oil level. It just monitors how you drive and for how many miles. Based on that it predicts when the oil needs to be changed. For every car I owned, I always checked the oil at least once every 2 weeks and do an oil change very 6 months. It is probably excessive but oil changes are cheap and most dealers do a multi-point inspection with an oil change. This allowed me to never had any kind of mechanical failure with any of my cars as either me or the dealer was able to detect issues before they became bigger problems. 2.4 engine is known to consume oil, I dont know why FCA just dont recommend more frequent oil changes.

For some of the issues, my advice would be seeking another dealer for repair. Like if the issues you have with the uconnect is still continuing, they should replace the unit, not ask for you to for for an update. They seem to be hesitant to change parts and that tells something about them (likely they are on Mopar blacklist).

You door issue is probably from ice forming around the lock. Thats why they cant replicate it as ice melts inside and freezes again outside. If it happens again, ise a hair dryer to remove ice.

Last edited by Tripod; 08-14-2018 at 06:18 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcanton
Also, all modern cars burn oil. Really?
Well, thats a blunt way of putting it, but essentially yes they do. Many modern engine designs now purposefully use a bit less tight fitting oil rings on the pistons to reduce friction. Part of what helps this little motor make more power and get better gas mileage than larger engines from decades prior. Now its not intended to use enough between oil changes for you to notice, but, a good idea with too little quality control on the implementation and perhaps some corners cut during mass production... too many people have reported excessive oil consumption on these motors. They don't all do it, there is just some excessive amount of variance in what they allow to pass QC because many of us have excellent motors that don't seem to use any oil at all yet we still reap the benefits of the increased power and mileage. I religiously change the oil at 4k mile intervals though, so it doesn't have much chance to consume enough oil to ever bother anything. 4k intervals for me is only 4 times a year, you guys are putting some serious miles on yours!

Quote:
I've had 2 Jeeps and loved them, my sister owns a Wrangler, my dad is getting ready to buy a new Wrangler, my best friend has owned 3 Jeeps. My lease is up next year, and I was looking forward to buying a brand new Grand Cherokee. Now, I am not so sure.
Just keep in mind the 2nd gen Compass isn't a real Jeep. That statement is going to piss off a bunch of my fellow forum members as usual but the truth is this is a hopped up Fiat 500x being sold under the Jeep name because it has 1000 times better acceptance in the USA than the Fiat name. A Wrangler or a Grand Cherokee are different animals (produced by mostly different animals). FCA may ruin the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee all in good time but for the moment it appears those models have yet to be completely poisoned by FCA's possession of the Jeep brand (although the jury is still somewhat out on the new revision of the Wrangler...)

I know that seems incredibly negative coming from someone who happily drives a 2nd gen Jeep Compass every day but mine is just a lease so I look at it as a very lengthy try-it-before-you-(really)-buy-it period. If you get one of the "good ones", they are really good, regardless of whether you live in denial or acceptance of its Fiat DNA. I've had a few bugs with mine but they've all been addressed quickly so far. I've slogged mine through some extreme weather and occasionally used it like a work truck, pulled some excessively heavy trailers and road tripped for a few thousand miles, and it has performed admirably. Highway gas mileage is great, capability is great, meets my towing needs, comfortable as a daily driver. Bugs with the uconnect are few and far between. Unless something shakes out of it by the end of the lease or they tempt me with some special edition SRT Compass there is a good chance I will keep this one. But reports from others on the forums have been so inconsistent, I've been telling everyone to start out with a lease because its much easier to get out from under it if you get one of the "bad ones". Maybe in a couple years they will be churning them out at consistently higher standards, or so we hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 01:54 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

A few thoughts oil consumption:

First off, any brand new engine will use some oil during its break-in period, usually the first 10,000 miles. I'm not there yet to say, but after 10,000 miles, any good engine shouldn't use ANY oil till it crosses 150,000 miles or even 200,000 miles.

Second, this is my first experience with 0 weight oil. That's mighty thin. Thinner oil should make winter starting easier because it causes less internal drag which also helps fuel economy. I only hope metallurgy has gotten us to the point that the engine can survive on such thin oil.

As for my experience, mine used 1 quart the first 2500 miles, and a half quart in the next 4000, so it appears my oil consumption is dropping as expected.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
A few thoughts oil consumption:

First off, any brand new engine will use some oil during its break-in period, usually the first 10,000 miles. I'm not there yet to say, but after 10,000 miles, any good engine shouldn't use ANY oil till it crosses 150,000 miles or even 200,000 miles.

Second, this is my first experience with 0 weight oil. That's mighty thin. Thinner oil should make winter starting easier because it causes less internal drag which also helps fuel economy. I only hope metallurgy has gotten us to the point that the engine can survive on such thin oil.

As for my experience, mine used 1 quart the first 2500 miles, and a half quart in the next 4000, so it appears my oil consumption is dropping as expected.
According to FCA, for their gasoline engines the accepted rate of oil consumption is 1 quart in 2,000 miles for the 1st 50,000 miles and 1 quart in 750 miles after that.

https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/682/engi...12-2016-fca-us
post #6 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 03:52 AM

post #7 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I understand the oil change indicator is different then low oil indicator, and that the oil change indicator is software based, but it's frustrating that while yes some oil consumption is normal, it shouldn't be overly excessive between regular maintenance. If that's the case, recommend oil changes sooner. Also, there is a low oil indicator that should illuminate, Jeep just got back to my wife again and said that it probably wasn't low enough to trigger the low oil monitor, but why then did it shut off the engine? Obviously something is wrong. As for the door latch, it's not really practical to do that when you are leaving work, not sure who carries hair dryers with them all the time.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
there is a low oil indicator that should illuminate
Just to be nit picky, technically there is no "low oil" indicator. That is to say, there is no sensor or device which measures the amount of oil in the engine. There is an oil pressure sensor, and when the minimum pressure required to maintain protective lubrication cannot be maintained it is inferred that this is most likely due to low oil level but could also be (only in extremely rare cases) a failing oil pump or a failing oil pressure sensor giving a false reading. The point is, it is not designed around reading for any particular safe level of oil in the engine. When you get low enough that the pump no longer has oil to pick up from the pan and pump through the engine, you are really dangerously low on oil. Its not something you can rely on to know when its time to pop the hood and check the level, you must catch it before it reaches that point.

Anyways, it may have been just on the cusp of throwing the warning when autostop kicked in and kinda covered it up somehow. I have never seen the oil pressure warning light but from other people's reports it sounds easy to miss.

The door latch deal there must be some explanation for, we live in northern Minnesota and our new Jeep lives outside full-time. No garage. All the snow all season freely falling on it, months of below freezing temperatures, freezing rain on the edges of the season, we have no issues with any of our doors or rear hatch latch whatsoever.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-24-2018, 12:37 AM
KRB

Garage
I have a new compass model year 2017, trailhawk. No trouble with burning oil or doors not latching. You might just need to pick up a can of white lithium grease and lube all the latches.

I have noticed the UConnect can be a bit buggy, especially when using Android Auto. I would try resetting it to factory defaults. To do so, you need to go into engineering mode. Hold the driver's side up and down temperature buttons until the UConnect goes into that mode. You will then have an option to default it. Hopefully that is all it will take to get rid of the reboots.

As far as the auto start/stop, it is supposed to start back up if the battery gets below 13 volts (pretty sure that is the threshold). I think most Jeep owners just get in the habit of turning the feature off every time we start the car. I live in the South, so saving a nickel's worth of gas and not running the AC is not worth it to me.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-24-2018, 01:08 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB View Post
As far as the auto start/stop, it is supposed to start back up if the battery gets below 13 volts (pretty sure that is the threshold). I think most Jeep owners just get in the habit of turning the feature off every time we start the car. I live in the South, so saving a nickel's worth of gas and not running the AC is not worth it to me.
At least we can turn off the "feature." Sooner or later some legislator is going to propose a rule so we can't.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 PM

After researching oil consumption, I found this website, and realized we aren't the only ones with issues. Seeing other people's problems at low mileage, we should almost feel lucky that we made it 32,000 miles. This has been the most frustrating car we have ever owned. I've had 2 Jeeps and loved them, my sister owns a Wrangler, my dad is getting ready to buy a new Wrangler, my best friend has owned 3 Jeeps. My lease is up next year, and I was looking forward to buying a brand new Grand Cherokee. Now, I am not so sure. Between the lousy service department at the dealership, and the lack of caring from Jeep itself, they make me want to stop recommending Jeep to friends and family. If you made it this far, thanks for reading and letting me vent[/QUOTE]

What you purchased is nothing more than a Fiat 500 with a Jeep nameplate. We all know Fiat's continued quality issues. FCA simply took a 20 year old architecture, added a flashy new body and labeled the new car a Jeep. The Compass is built in Mexico for the NAFTA region. Think about that for a minute. Jeeps, such as the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Cherokee are built in the U.S.A. The aforementioned vehicles do not share any parts with Fiat. Sadly, you have been duped believing the Compass is a real Jeep. Lease the Grand Cherokee. This is a true, American built Jeep. Quickly drive the Compass off a cliff or pray it gets stolen.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcanton View Post
Hi All,
I found this website recently when searching for the latest issue with my wife's Compass, which I will get to in a bit. To start off, we bought the Compass in May of 2017, we were the first to purchase the new style from the dealership. My wife loved the way it looked, loved it on the test drive, so it seemed perfect. That lasted for approximately a week. Almost immediately we were plagued with the Uconnect system and rear view camera constantly freezing and rebooting. Brought it in to the dealer and they had no fix, said we needed to wait for an update to the software. OK, it's just a software issue, it will get fixed. Or not. Over a year later it still freezes occasionally, and decides to reboot randomly while driving. It is completely annoying.

The next issue occurred over the winter, when the rear passenger door wouldn't latch when it was below freezing. It would take sometimes up to 5 minutes of constantly slamming the door to get it to finally latch. We brought the Compass in to the dealership at least 3 times for the issue, and they were never able to replicate it, I can only assume because everything warmed up by the time they looked at it. They refused to replace anything because they didn't know what was wrong, and essentially treated us as if we didn't know how to close a door. We actually contacted Jeep about the situation, as the weather warmed up and this was no longer an issue, but we knew that by this winter we would be most likely past the 36,000 mile warranty, and wanted to make sure it would be covered if it happened again. They said they would take care of it.

The third issue occurred in January, we were driving through the snow and switched the Selec-Terrain to snow. Everything worked fine, great feature! Until we stopped the car, did our errands, got back into the car, turn the knob to Snow, and nothing happens, except a service engine light flashing on the screen. We brought it back to the dealership where they performed an update to the control module. At this point we had the car for 7 months with 17,000 miles on it, and had brought the car into the dealership approximately a dozen times. Not acceptable at all.

The latest problem just occurred last week, and this one is the most troubling to me. My wife was stopped at a red light, the car shuts off like it normally does with the Auto Stop feature, then won't turn back on. After 5 minutes she gets it to start, and it's flashing the service engine light, so she drives immediately to the dealership, who tells her that she ran out of oil and she should change her oil more often. It was about 6000 miles since her last oil change, no oil change indicator light came on her car, she has changed the oil for the past 1 year 3 months either when the light comes on, or sometimes sooner. She has done as early as every 5000 miles, or the latest at 7500 miles. The car now has 32,000 miles on it and this has never been an issue. The oil ended up being 2 quarts low, yet no indicators appeared that there was low oil. The dealer recommended changing the oil every 5000 miles since they said this car burns more oil than usual, and they said they have no idea why Chrysler would put in the manual to wait until the oil change indicator appears. My wife contacted Jeep again, and their response was essentially copy and pasting the manual that says you should check the oil level every time you fuel up. Also, all modern cars burn oil. Really? My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee never did, my current 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't. My friends brand new Honda doesn't.

After researching oil consumption, I found this website, and realized we aren't the only ones with issues. Seeing other people's problems at low mileage, we should almost feel lucky that we made it 32,000 miles. This has been the most frustrating car we have ever owned. I've had 2 Jeeps and loved them, my sister owns a Wrangler, my dad is getting ready to buy a new Wrangler, my best friend has owned 3 Jeeps. My lease is up next year, and I was looking forward to buying a brand new Grand Cherokee. Now, I am not so sure. Between the lousy service department at the dealership, and the lack of caring from Jeep itself, they make me want to stop recommending Jeep to friends and family. If you made it this far, thanks for reading and letting me vent
What you purchased is nothing more than a Fiat 500 with a Jeep nameplate. We all know Fiat's continued quality issues. FCA simply took a 20 year old architecture, added a flashy new body and labeled the new car a Jeep. The Compass is built in Mexico for the NAFTA region. Think about that for a minute. Jeeps, such as the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Cherokee are built in the U.S.A. The aforementioned vehicles do not share any parts with Fiat. Sadly, you have been duped believing the Compass is a real Jeep. Lease the Grand Cherokee. This is a true, American built Jeep. Quickly drive the Compass off a cliff or pray it gets stolen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in