Trim around dash speakers sticky - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 08-17-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trim around dash speakers sticky

Can everyone do me a favor next time they are out in their Compass? Touch the plastic trim that goes around the speakers on the dash and tell me if the plastic feels sticky like the sun is already starting to deteriorate the plastic. I've already had someone else confirm this on a Jeep Compass Facebook post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180817_120913_1534527090035.jpg (65.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20180817_120923_1534527102812.jpg (62.0 KB, 21 views)

2017.5 Jeep Compass Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-17-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just to be clear I've highlighted the trim I'm talking about. People on the Compass Facebook page are having the same issue. How many complaints to be a recall?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180817_155604_1534536235765.jpg (67.2 KB, 19 views)

post #3 of 10 Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmantwentytwo View Post
Just to be clear I've highlighted the trim I'm talking about. People on the Compass Facebook page are having the same issue. How many complaints to be a recall?
There doesn't have to be a certain number of complains for it to be a recall. Even a single crash can cause a recall while they might not make a recall on an issue that effects the entire generation if its not a safety issue. Most recalls are safety related, or at least on something that makes the car or one of its features inoperable. NHTSA decides if its worthy of a recall. To be honest, I have never seen a recall made on a cosmetic issue.

Previous gen Nissan altima had an issue with its entire dash that would almost melt in very hot weather, I recall was never made. I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee WK (2006), non of the back lights on the HVAC control unit is working and it is a known issue across all the GC and Commanders. The HVAC is designed in such a way that led backlights cannot be replaced and the entire unit need to be replaced for fixing it, and it costs upwards of a $1000. Again a recall was never made.

If it eventually cause physical damage, like if gets twisted or something, you might be able to get it replaced under warranty.

I checked my dash to see if it feels sticky, mine was okay, but I use a front window sunscreen.

Last edited by Tripod; 08-17-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-18-2018, 10:24 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I just checked mine. It feels fine. I wonder if there was a defective batch of plastic? Jeep uses several suppliers and maybe one is using an inferior plastic? My Compass is only a few months old, though I don't know how long it sat on the dealer's lot before I bought it. July was a hot month here (flirting with 90F many days). That's pretty hot by New England standards. You're in Florida where I assume its hotter -- I wonder if this is more of a problem in hotter climates?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-19-2018, 02:39 AM

Garage
Ours was built the end of Nov. 2017, purchased mid Jan. not sticky. I do have a DashMat cover for the dash.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-22-2018, 06:05 AM

Funny you should post this. Mine is sticky too and it was driving me crazy that I didnít know why. Now at least I know Iím not the only one itís happening to.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Mineís not sticky, manufactured January 2018
post #8 of 10 Old 08-23-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Make sure to check it during the day when you first get in. It hardens up when it's cool, but still appears shiny. I'll be bringing it to my dealer's attention at my next oil change.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-30-2018, 12:48 AM
KRB

Garage
I checked mine this weekend. After sitting in sunlight with the windows up, the trim is tacky/sticky to the touch. It is not sticky in the morning. I have a 2017 New Compass Trailhawk.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-30-2018, 02:58 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Very hot here today (90F). My Compass was in the shop for the brake recall, and oil change, and a ECM update. They gave me a nearly identical Compass for a loaner. I parked in the sun for a couple hours at one stop so it really got cooked, but no, the area around the speaker was not sticky.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in