Endless List of Complaints.... Transmission Currently - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeexelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Endless List of Complaints.... Transmission Currently

I leased my 2018 Jeep Compass Altitude 4x4 in April 2018. I’ve had 5 issues with it as of now. My most recent complaint is that the transmission does a hard shift between 2nd & 3rd gear. Picked it up from the dealership last night and they told me they did a software update to fix the problem. Drove it home, it seemed fine. However this evening drove to take my son to practice and it hard shifted again. I’m pissed so I call the dealership, this was the 4th visit to the dealership for issues, and the guy who answers tells me it takes a good 1,000 miles for the transmission update to take effect as it has to learn my driving habits and how to shift properly. I said they did not tell me that when I picked it up last night, and also that seems extreme as that would take me 2+ months to put the 1,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had an issue with the transmission and been told this? In my mind the transmission is being damaged by all the hard shifts and having to drive it another 1,000 miles is just an excuse to not service it again for a couple months. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-14-2018, 03:08 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I've not had your problem, but then again, I'm a pretty easy driver.

However, there is an element of truth to the transmission having to learn your driving style. Performance and fuel economy will be adapted to how you drive it. If you drive it hard, it will adjust the shift points so you accelerate faster; if you drive it easy to achieve better fuel economy it will never be snappy away from a light, and it will find the higher gears sooner.

Just curious -- if you use autostick and take it through the gears, do you still get the hard shift?

I had a Pontiac Grand Prix that around 225,000 miles started slamming the gears when it shifted. I learned that if I turned it off (say maybe to fill up or buy a cup of coffee) it would shift smooth all day after that. Just a thought. Let me know if it works.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-14-2018, 03:42 PM

Your better off pulling the negative off the car for about 10 minutes, come back, hook it up and "that" will actually do a re-learn, all they did was change pressure and shift points with the update. For a real re-learn your better yanking the battery for several minutes. It will learn your habits all over again. Right now it has your present habits cached.
Jasmine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 PM

I have had this very same issue - hard shifting. Mine is between 2nd and 3rd, as well as 3rd and 4th. I've taken it to the dealership but they, of course, couldn't replicate the issue. They did a software update, but that did nothing to fix the issue. I know that until they can replicate it themselves, they won't be able to figure anything out, despite the fact I've seen these issues posted by many others in other places.
Mind you, this is one of many, many issues I've had with my Compass; they all seem to be electrical issues - they even replaced the computer in it at one point, but I continue to have issues with it.
It's been extremely frustrating experience, owning this Compass, and very disappointing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in