Wouldn't start this morning, ESS not engaging - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2018, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Wouldn't start this morning, ESS not engaging

I bought a 2018 Jeep Compass a month or so ago and have a little over 4200 miles on it. We haven't had any issues with it until this morning when trying to start it to go to work. Pushed the brake (was abnormally easy to push, never experienced before) and pushed the button to start; nothing. Immediately tried a couple more times, no luck. Gave it a couple minutes and it finally started. Then tonight, driving home from work I noticed ESS wasn't engaging at stops. Checked button next to gear shift to see if it was disabled; nope. What could be causing this? It was around 20 degrees this morning and hasn't gotten any higher than 30 today, could it be the cold weather or something else causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2018, 04:42 PM

It is probably cold and bad battery. ESS won’t engage if you were heating the cabin. What was ESS status screen showing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2018, 05:34 PM

Garage
i second the battery, cold does strange things to batteries

2018 Compass Latitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-30-2018, 02:53 AM

They use the cheapest, crappiest batteries they can find and they let them die during shipping and sitting on the lot. Like Zoner or someone else said recently, a walmart battery is usually better than what they ship them with. My batteries are pretty marginal still and they hate the cold, and we haven't even gotten into the main part of winter yet.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Yep, had to replace one fob battery at 12 months, car would intermittently not start and especially if the fob was in a pocket when we were outdoors. was told by dealer this is normal
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 02:14 PM

I've had issues with the ESS for a couple months now. Latest I was told is to leave it off for awhile and see if the battery charging goes away and it works,lol. I do that it works a couple times and then back to constant battery charging. Battery has been replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in