can it tow? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 12-21-2018, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

can it tow?

Hi! looking to purchase a 2018 compass 4x4 manual 6 speed. I am not a fan of auto and would like to tow a small 2 seat boat. Looked at spec and I really thought I had a perfect replacement for my 2006 sportage 4wd 5 speed standard trans. but I came to a contradiction, in jeep-capabilities/towing, it states that 2018 compass latitude with 2.4 engine 6 speed manual with 4x4 can tow up to 2,000 lbs however in 2018 compass owners manual on page 280 it states that the 2.4 with 9 speed auto can tow while all other is NOT recommend! Who is right ? Will there be any warranty issues ? By the way, you can order a compass with factory trailer tow (Sales code: AHT) on a latitude 4x4 6 speed. so what gives? Even called jeep customer service and there are lost as I am. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-21-2018, 03:03 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Well, if you buy the factory tow package you ought to be able to tow with it! That said, the 2.4 isn't a terribly powerful engine.

I found this on the Jeep website: https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabilities/towing.html

Besides my Compass, I also have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler (3.8 V6 6-spd manual) that didn't come with the factory towing package, but I put a hitch on it anyway. The official tow capacity is 1000 lbs, but I bet I've probably hauled more than double that a few times. I just took it easy.

I've seen the NH Marine Patrol hauling their launch with a Jeep Patriot (I presume a 2.4 with a trailer package) and that must really get yanked around for law enforcement or rescue, so if that can handle that kind of stress, I'd think a prudent driver should be able to pull a similar boat with a 2.4 under reasonable conditions.

I'm probably not answering your question with an apples-to-apples comparison, but as I said above, if they sell you a trailer-towing package and your load is under their prescribed limit, you shouldn't be hurting it, and God forbid you have problems, they ought to honor their warranty.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-21-2018, 04:39 PM

I had the same question after reading the owners manual. I mean, I bought a manual transmission with the tow package, so logic says it should be able to tow...so I'm just chalking it up to a mistake in the owners manual. The only reason I even looked at a Compass was because you could get a decently spec'd version with a manual transmission. Another difference to note it that the US manual transmission version does not have the rear vents for some reason.

Here's a video and post of someone towing with the 6 MT.
https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...w-youtube.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-26-2018, 11:49 PM

The recommended tow value is fairly low, low enough Uhaul wouldn't rent me a car dolly for a 94 Ford Explorer sport. When I did end up towing it across county and town, it was fine but I was mildly nervous. No heat or noise problems, I watched the oil and trans temps and they were mostly fine. Uphill wasn't awful but on a decent grade it might suck...like a heavy boat on a boat ramp.

YMMV, my Trailhawk did fine but not sure how far to trust it.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-27-2018, 03:19 AM

What does not recommended really mean? I have owned cars before (1.4T dart) that recommended premium fuel but worked just fine on regular.

Does not recommended mean they haven't tested it? Does not recommended mean they can't control you from putting a 4x4 manual compass in an incorrect gear for towing that the 9-speed can avoid? Does not recommended mean FCA prefers you to pay $1500 extra for the 9-speed?

Not recommended seems to mean don't sue us if you do this and something stupid happens. What it probably does not mean is it will void your warranty if they do it. It will likely be hard to get someone from FCA to answer definitely. Ultimately what is different from a 9-speed non-trailhawk vs a 6-speed manual 4x4? Structurally they are practically identical. The manual weighs less than the 9-speed (not a factor of brake load limits). The only thing I can think of is the 9 speeds having potentially more optimal gearings and the computer avoiding user error for selecting too tall of a gearing.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
What does not recommended really mean? I have owned cars before (1.4T dart) that recommended premium fuel but worked just fine on regular.

Does not recommended mean they haven't tested it? Does not recommended mean they can't control you from putting a 4x4 manual compass in an incorrect gear for towing that the 9-speed can avoid? Does not recommended mean FCA prefers you to pay $1500 extra for the 9-speed?

Not recommended seems to mean don't sue us if you do this and something stupid happens. What it probably does not mean is it will void your warranty if they do it. It will likely be hard to get someone from FCA to answer definitely. Ultimately what is different from a 9-speed non-trailhawk vs a 6-speed manual 4x4? Structurally they are practically identical. The manual weighs less than the 9-speed (not a factor of brake load limits). The only thing I can think of is the 9 speeds having potentially more optimal gearings and the computer avoiding user error for selecting too tall of a gearing.
An auto trans have a torque converter while the manual has a clutch. You cant damage a torque converter by towing something. You can easily damage(or burn) clutch while towing, especially if it is a heavy load and you have to shift a lot, or do a lot of stop and go's. Its not only compass, usually vehicles with automatic transmissions will have a greater allowable cargo load compared manual variant due to this reason. Car makers simply do not want to go in to "whose fault is this" game with the costumers if they burn their clutches while towing.

Another question is why the 6 speed auto is not rated for towing. I think I read somewhere that 6 speed didn't have a transmission cooler, so that might be a reason. Its also worth checking if the manual has a tranny cooler. A quick google search doesn't bring any part numbers or info for a cooler on manual transmission (while it does for 9 speed), so it might just not have one.

Last edited by Tripod; 12-27-2018 at 06:59 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-27-2018, 01:41 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Car makers simply do not want to go in to "whose fault is this" game with the costumers if they burn their clutches while towing.
If I have to make a complaint I'll wear my monkey suit!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-27-2018, 05:51 PM

It can tow for sure, but the gearing and final drive with the manuals is not ideal for low-speed towing (or crawling). It's still doable but the onerous will be entirely on you to manage your clutch properly, or else it is going to have a shorter life than it should. Thats really all there should be to say about it: If you suck at clutch-work you'll be having a new clutch installed sooner than you want to, and it will be your cost since its not Jeep's fault you killed it early. Other than that, tow away. There is no need to give worry about transmission coolers or oil temps and whatnot just to pull a little boat around every twice in a while.

Jeep is comfortable offering an overly-conservative official towing capacity number for the 9-speed automatic simply because the automatic makes it "idiot-proof" enough to keep the lawyers happy. (You should run the gears of the 9-speed manually, though, once you get up over 1000 lbs) With the manual, Jeep can't fool-proof it for you, the full responsibility of minimizing wear on the clutch and picking good gears that don't lug the engine is on you and they don't want to be left holding the bag for the type of people who can't handle that.

If and when you are at or around that 2000 lb mark on the highway, don't be afraid to keep a lower gear and higher RPM's. ~3000 RPM or even more with a really heavy load is not unreasonable, four-bangers don't have the torque to keep heavy loads at speed at low RPMs. Your instant gas mileage readout will be more useful than the temp gauge, the instant MPG figure can help you infer the overall amount of load on the engine to help with picking a gear. Odds are you won't use 6th gear unless your boat is extremely light. When I am pulling the really heavy trailers I don't typically get past 5th on the 9-speed.

Pulling a boat back up out of a boat ramp is going to be the least pleasant part, you may have to drive out slightly faster than a person would normally want to in order to avoid excessive clutch slippage but even that you should be able to do every weekend all summer if you want, and done properly the clutch should live a good long life, longer than a clutch that lives exclusively in a busy city with a ton of stop-and-go traffic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in