car lost power while driving? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

car lost power while driving?

Here to gather thoughts..this is a 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude w/ 14k miles.

Background: I went to run an errand this morning, I haven't needed to drive the Compass for a few days so it had been sitting for 36 hours or so. It's fairly cold here in Central Texas right now in the 30's for both the high and low so maybe this is a contributing factor.

What happened: I had just pulled out of my neighborhood, all was well and the car started up fine. I went about half a mile and once I started to make the turn to go right, the car wouldn't accelerate and the RPM's now sat at 0 (engine completely off, car was still set in drive). I put the hazards on, shifted to Park then turned the car off. Pressed the start button again and the car fluttered around 200ish RPM's then back to 0. This sequence happened 2 or 3 times. On the 4th attempt, the same thing happened except I feathered the gas and it eventually started enough for me to get off the main road into a parking lot. As I rolled into the parking lot it died again.

On this 5th attempt, the car started and I sat there for about 10 minutes to let it idle and allow the engine to fully warm up. No errors or codes thrown. The car literally looked like it should be able to drive while in Drive, but RPMs were at 0 and the engine had lost power.

Thoughts?

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude

Last edited by texasjeep34; 01-02-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjeep34 View Post
Here to gather thoughts..this is a 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude w/ 14k miles.

Background: I went to run an errand this morning, I haven't needed to drive the Compass for a few days so it had been sitting for 36 hours or so. It's fairly cold here in Central Texas right now in the 30's for both the high and low so maybe this is a contributing factor.

What happened: I had just pulled out of my neighborhood, all was well and the car started up fine. I went about half a mile and once I started to make the turn to go right, the car wouldn't accelerate and the RPM's now sat at 0 (engine completely off, car was still set in drive). I put the hazards on, shifted to Park then turned the car off. Pressed the start button again and the car fluttered around 200ish RPM's then back to 0. This sequence happened 2 or 3 times. On the 4th attempt, the same thing happened except I feathered the gas and it eventually started enough for me to get off the main road into a parking lot. As I rolled into the parking lot it died again.

On this 5th attempt, the car started and I sat there for about 10 minutes to let it idle and allow the engine to fully warm up. No errors or codes thrown. The car literally looked like it should be able to drive while in Drive, but RPMs were at 0 and the engine had lost power.

Thoughts?
I doubt the cold has anything to do with this issue. I live in Michigan and my compass sat over 72 hours in the cold air in Michigan with snow it was in the 20's. Started it to drive to the airport for work and no issues. This sounds like an electrical issue, like something shorted out or who knows but it has nothing to do with the cold.

It is bumper to bumper still so just take it in or wait till next time and get your phone out to record it. The dealership will most likely say no code no problem for them to fix.

Good Luck and hope it gets warmer in Texas, any colder you might have to put on a coat (just kidding)

K

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2019, 01:12 AM

I would take it in now. That way you have documentation of it happening at this mileage on your car. And, maybe they can fix it maybe they can't. If it happens again, and you bring it in again, then you have documentation of a second occurrence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Bring it in to your dealer. It may have a stored code they can access. At least there will be a record of the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in