4Likes
  • 1 Post By jjcom
  • 1 Post By Tripod
  • 2 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Angry Electronic gremlins

With all of these electronic issues many people are having with their 2nd gen Compass, many of which are similar issues from various customers, how is FCA not seeing these problems and not putting any effort into updates or repairs?

Do they not have any test vehicles that are exhibiting the same issue? Has all the testing seized after product launch?
No wonder my trade in valve is half of what I paid for the car 5 months ago.
Eric Ryan Childers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2019, 11:37 PM

I think its the difficulty of replicating these errors across different cars. On car to car bases, they might identify what is the problem. But the issue they found on one car might not apply or fix the issue on another car, or worse make something worse.That is one of the main things about software updates. HQ needs to prepare software updates, a dealer simply does not have a software programmer on hand that can write individual fixes to each car. if that was possible. I assume most issues would be quickly fixed. But unfortunately, they need to come up with a software fix that applies to everyone.

Microsoft gets thousands of error reports from its computers every day, yet we have been running into same errors for probably more than 10 years. Computers can be strange, minute differences in hardware (even due to small manufacturing differences, sometimes called silicon lottery), can make the software behave oddly, and it can be hard to point out why. When such a thing happens with your computer, it is bad, but in the end you can restart it and will forget it. When it happens with your car and something oddly stops working, or if the car doesnt start, alarm comes on, etc it is a far more irritating thing.

This is why any car with least amount of electronic will be the most reliable one .
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by Tripod; 01-10-2019 at 11:47 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm fortunate it starts and stop when needed. I'm just irritated that the added options which works just fine on other brands just don't seem to work properly in this one. Remote start, proximity key, heated seats, automatic climate control, automatic lights, back up camera screen (extremely bright at night) These are relatively old technologies that have been around a while. I can understand how lane keeping assist or adaptive cruise or self parking may fail due to their complexity. But door locks and automatic light sensor, really?

It just seems FCA just don't care about me or any other customer for that matter. I'm tired of taking my car in for repairs or have it sit there one week at a time. I applauded the efforts of the service department having to replace or reprogram so many things but they should not have to do so much work to a brand new car. It's the manufacturer's job to test and scrutinize their own product before sending it out. To me, this is just another Microsoft Vista in automotive form.

This is my second and possibly last Jeep. Extremely disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
I'm fortunate it starts and stop when needed. I'm just irritated that the added options which works just fine on other brands just don't seem to work properly in this one. Remote start, proximity key, heated seats, automatic climate control, automatic lights, back up camera screen (extremely bright at night) These are relatively old technologies that have been around a while. I can understand how lane keeping assist or adaptive cruise or self parking may fail due to their complexity. But door locks and automatic light sensor, really?

It just seems FCA just don't care about me or any other customer for that matter. I'm tired of taking my car in for repairs or have it sit there one week at a time. I applauded the efforts of the service department having to replace or reprogram so many things but they should not have to do so much work to a brand new car. It's the manufacturer's job to test and scrutinize their own product before sending it out. To me, this is just another Microsoft Vista in automotive form.

This is my second and possibly last Jeep. Extremely disappointed.
I dont have a problem with any of those things. Its so strange that some has no issues while other have them in bunches.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2019, 02:41 PM

I have had a whole slew of electronic gremlin issues similar to jjcom's list, always with piddly things that are annoying but not bad enough to get me to bring it in (other than the remote start issues they fixed last spring by replacing the BCM). I still have a lot of gremlins. The touch controls for the heated seats and wheel have a mind of their own. The HVAC decides to set the system temperature to LOW, MAX AC for no reason when its 5 degrees outside. Experienced both of those issues last night. Then off and on there will be a glitch with the proximity key, ESS, and other little things that cause me a momentary spike of anger and frustration and then I move on with my day.

I too would probably be less irked if the loaners they give me from Chrysler did not have all the same options without exhibiting these headaches. I honestly think the Compass must have been severely off-target on its manufacturing and development cost because they really needed to slot it into a very tight, specific price range and to make that mark they straight up had to stop once it was almost just barely good enough, otherwise the last shred of profit margin on it would be gone OR they would have to sell it at a higher cost which they were unwilling to do.

It is really a shame because for instance that loaner 2018 Chrysler 300, you can tell they did not stop throwing development money at it until everything worked 100%. Same with the 2017 Dodge Ram I ride in frequently, they spent whatever needed to be spent to make sure all was well on that. But something went wrong with the projected costs for the Compass and FCA wouldn't cough up another dollar to give the engineers enough time to make it completely right. I don't think even the Renegade has the persistent, widespread issues that we do somehow and its really a shame, and frustrating for us.

I feel like I can deal with the amount of issues I have on mine, I don't see anything better anywhere on the market currently, at least not in this price range... but I am tempted to go test drive one of the new V6 Chevy Blazers now that they have re-released that. The RS trim looks pretty darn sharp. I can tell you for sure, if there were no ongoing electrical gremlins in this Jeep Compass I would not even consider anything else, but there ARE ongoing electrical issues, with what feels like ZERO hope that FCA will ever care to fix them, and thats exactly what might ultimately drive me to turning in this lease and going with the Chevy.

Its actually probably too late at this point, even if FCA did suddenly have a sudden passionate desire to address everything we have collectively experienced, jjcom's whole point is that its too little too late. It shouldn't have been allowed to be shipped this way, and I agree.
jjcom and Eric Ryan Childers like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in