Cold weather - driver door freezing - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjcom

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 01-16-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Cold weather - driver door freezing

Hi all,

Joined the forum to see if anyone has experienced this. 2017+ Compass Limited, approximately 15K miles on it, leased for my daughter to use up at school, since she is off campus.

It seems as if when the weather is below freezing, when she goes to unlock the front diver's side door (all other doors seem OK), the handle seems too easy to pull open, and fails to unlatch the door itself. She has taken to climbing in the passenger side, and by the time the car is warm enough, the door starts working again.

I have taken it once to the dealership, and of course, they were unable to replicate it, since the car was warm enough (of course, I am assuming that it is caused by the below freezing temp, and not another issue with software).
I took a stab at spraying the latch and inside the keyhole with wd40, just to see if that would remove any moisture, which may be causing the issue, to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it easy to remove the front driver's side door panel (I looked at the parts diagram, and also noticed what I think are 3 philips screws behind plastic covers, which may be removed in order to take it off)? I would like to see if I could possible try to remove/prevent moisture as the cause, in the cold weather (which her school definitely has ).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and feel free to tell me if this is indeed the right section of the forum to post this kind of question in.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 12:18 AM

I have not experienced any issue like that, and my 2nd gen Compass is always parked outside no garage in northern Minnesota, this is its second winter. We've had tons of snow, rain, freezing rain, winter car washes, etc and my doors are all working good.

Did she happen to noticed does the lock audibly click over when she grabs the handle and do the lights flash? If the lock can be heard moving and lights flash then its a mechanical issue most likely what you already suspect, but if no lock sound and no lights then it could be an electrical issue with not detecting the fob. Sounds like you have already narrowed it down to the mechanical side though.

I have not tried taking the door apart, can't speak to that.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

This morning, I recreated the problem myself. The lock actuator is heard when unlock via remote fob. The door handle does NOT move at all (contrary to what I said before, apologies). All other doors have no issue opening. The lights flas as normal.

Glad you haven't had to take the door apart, no worries

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 03:33 PM

Lube goes a long way. I'd lube them with WD-40 or some cooking spray if that is not available on the latches, the door hardware and the handle when pulled out.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
Lube goes a long way. I'd lube them with WD-40 or some cooking spray if that is not available on the latches, the door hardware and the handle when pulled out.
Thanks...WD-40 was the first thing I tried the first time it happened. That's why I'm asking about door panel removal; I want to spray internals down more thoroughly, with the hope to remove whatever moisture is in them now (if that is indeed the problem.

Eric
post #6 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejafman View Post
Thanks...WD-40 was the first thing I tried the first time it happened. That's why I'm asking about door panel removal; I want to spray internals down more thoroughly, with the hope to remove whatever moisture is in them now (if that is indeed the problem.

Eric
I've found that the internals for the most part are lubbed from the assembly line. What you will likely find since it's limited to just one door is a faulty door handle line. Don't pull too hard or it will disconnect completely if frozen. Happened on my F150 extended cab suicide door. What a pita...

I would pull it in a warm garage, let it sit and spend a good 15-20 minutes opening and closing the door after the fact, lubing all the hardware. I don't think that the panel removal will bear any fruit. If you find any moisture in the door, it's on account of the door window, i'd ensure thats clean and use a solution that will clean and dry the window off (don't use alcohol based products.)

Mike
post #7 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
I would pull it in a warm garage, let it sit and spend a good 15-20 minutes opening and closing the door after the fact, lubing all the hardware. I don't think that the panel removal will bear any fruit. If you find any moisture in the door, it's on account of the door window, i'd ensure thats clean and use a solution that will clean and dry the window off (don't use alcohol based products.)

Mike
Understood, as far as the assembly line lubing is concerned. Since I tried WD-40 in all spots, I assumed I reached anything that could be reached. I also definitely didn't open/close after applying for 15-20 minutes; perhaps about 5 open/close sequences. When you say lubing, you do mean WD-40 only, or after WD-40, something else as well, like lithium grease?

Trickiest part for me is the warm garage (I wish).

Will give it another go. Worst comes to worst, I park it overnight in front of the dealership's garage door when it's really cold outside, and in the morning, when they can't get the door open, I ask them if they were able to "replicate the problem". In the meantime, she can easily tell when the problem occurs, and slide in through the passenger's side.

Eric
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Well when it comes to the door handle I'd open it outwards and put a little Petroleum jelly in there on both top and bottom.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Worth a shot. Ty!

Eric
post #10 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejafman View Post
Worth a shot. Ty!

Eric
It worked for me when my handle froze. You have to apply about once every 2-4 weeks depending on the amount of times you open the door.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-20-2019, 04:30 AM

Blarg, I spoke too soon I guess because my rear passenger door gave issues as we hit 20 below today. Different than your issue though. For us the rear door opened fine (we were loading up stuff to head on a bit of a trip) and then when we went to shut the door... it would not latch. Slam door, bounced right back open. Ugh. Had to run some bungee cords from the driver's side passenger grab handle to the top of the glass with the window rolled down slightly on the affected door, then drive it to the dealership. In about half an hour they had it back to me working. Said they tore open the door, thawed out some ice/moisture, lubed everything and put back together.

I had done a car wash about a week ago. I think thats the only door I hadn't opened since the car wash. Man it sucks not having a heated garage.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I've not had a problem with my doors, but I have with the gas filler flap. That thing freezes if it gets above freezing long enough for any water or melted snow to seep in there. I try to keep it dry and clear of snow but its not unusual for me to have to pound on it to get it to open.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 PM

Garage
WD-40 makes silicone spray now. It's great for winter related issues and doesn't eat rubber and paint like petroleum based stuff.
Jasmine likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in