Rumble strip sound/jeep not starting - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 07-10-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Rumble strip sound/jeep not starting

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I need some help. I have a 2019 Trailhawk with 800 miles on it and it's already been to the shop once. Here's the issue..... when I hit a small bump, any sort of ruff road, or even press the brakes and slow down slowly a noise comes from the back right rear that sounds like I'm driving over rumble strips. Now, this noise stops when I turn traction control off. I took it to the dealer and they said they can't look at it if they cant hear the sound. Of course I took them on a ride and it doesn't do it. I have no idea what this may be. Has anyone else had this issue??

Second issue, I drove to lunch yesterday and parked for about 30 minutes. Got back in my car and it wont start. All the electronics cut on (radio, dash lights) but, the engine will not start. It took about 5 minutes to get it to start. I think the key was the open and close the door. Got back to work, went to leave to go home and it does it again. Again, anyone else have this issue??

I'm desperate. I LOVE this car but I am scared to death I may have a lemon on my hands. It doesnt really help that I think the people at the dealership think I'm hearing things lol. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by Morganb_5; 07-10-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-10-2019, 05:46 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...in-issues.html You can read the various theories of why, and what to do about it. There are other therads on here about that too, but this thread seems to have something of a solution. It worked for me.

My 2018 Compass made this noise. The sound was quite noticeable around 25-40MPH. Like yours, it would go away if I switched off the ESC; it also went away if I slipped into a gear using autostick. I might or might not switch back to normal mode. Sometimes the noise would stay gone for miles, other times it was back again real soon. I had the software update done and while the noise didn't go away completely it moved up to around 45-50MPH where it was largely covered by road noise.

Unfortunately my 2018 Compass was totaled in an accident and replaced with a new 2019 Compass. The 2019 does not make the noise at all. From what I read on here, while denying the problem, FCA made some sort of change in late 2018 that has eliminated the noise.

Your starting problem is not something I've experienced with either Compass. I suspect you're onto something with the door opening & closing. Likely its a problem with the security system.

I had a Saturn acted similarly to yours. My only solution was to lock the car using the remote whenever I parked it, even in my garage. Once it was unlocked by the remote it would let me start. However, if I didn't lock it and left it for any length of time and tried to just get in and start it, it wouldn't start and flashed a 'security' warning on the dash. All I could do was lock it, wait 10 minutes, then unlock it and it would restart. Very annoying if I was already late for work.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Oh, that was your first post. Welcome to the forum! I hope my post is helpful. These are pretty nifty vehicles and while I had some misgivings with my 2018 (particularly about the oil consumption) I liked it enough to replace it with another 2019.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in