• 1 Post By georgef
  • 1 Post By Jasmine
  • 2 Post By Tripod
  • 1 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

2018 Compass is eating oil

Hi guys.

It appears I'm one of the lucky few thats Compass goes through oil like it's no ones business. I receive the "low oil pressure" alert on the dash almost every 3000 miles. My question: how much oil needs to be consumed for the car to throw this alert? I will start carrying around a QT of synthetic oil in the meantime.

Thanks, all.

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Garage
Your dipstick will tell you

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjeep34 View Post
Hi guys.

It appears I'm one of the lucky few thats Compass goes through oil like it's no ones business. I receive the "low oil pressure" alert on the dash almost every 3000 miles. My question: how much oil needs to be consumed for the car to throw this alert? I will start carrying around a QT of synthetic oil in the meantime.

Thanks, all.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
Your dipstick will tell you
In no way, shape, or form did you answer my question. I've seen this post several times on the forum but no one ever asked how much actually needs to be consumed to throw this alert. My intervals where this alert pops up varies greatly. So no, my dipstick would not be an accurate measure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 10:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
In no way, shape, or form did you answer my question. I've seen this post several times on the forum but no one ever asked how much actually needs to be consumed to throw this alert. My intervals where this alert pops up varies greatly. So no, my dipstick would not be an accurate measure.

Posting on this site does not address your situation. Perhaps you should check your oil, maintain a safe level and/or visit your dealer. It's your problem, do something or destroy the engine. The world, this site, Jeep ... owes you nothing.
84z28 and 10-64 like this.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I believe if you're down 2 quarts it will activate the kill switch. Not sure about the low pressure indicator. In fact I didn't know we had a low pressure indicator. We do have an oil temperature gauge which is a pretty redundant (and useless) invention. From what I've read on this site, the engine just shuts down if the pressure is low, and many complain about where they get dropped -- left lane of the expressway, middle of an intersection, miles away from a store, etc. Frankly, a low oil pressure indicator is the last thing you want to see. That pretty well indicates the damage is done. Don't expect sympathy from the manufacturer, a judge, jury, or arbiter if that's ever come on. They'll all agree you should have checked the oil level yourself. The dipstick is the only genuinely reliable indicator of your oil level.

I've posted elsewhere on this site that the oil consumption on my 2018 Compass began at 1000/qt and gradually improved to 3000/qt by 30,000 miles. Knowing that any new engine will use oil I started checking at 1000 miles and was amazed that the oil was so low. I expected some consumption, but that was a LOT. So as I said, it gradually improved to where it was acceptable for a very old engine, not a brand new engine. I just learned to carry a couple extra quarts with me.

My 2018 Compass was replaced with a 2019 Compass that uses hardly any oil: about 5000/qt which is where I'm at now, and about what I'd expect from a new engine. I expect my consumption will trail off to no consumption by 10,000 miles. That's what should happen; I'll post if it doesn't.

I understand your problem, in fact I had it. However, its a nuisance, but neither the end of the world, nor the end of your Compass -- you're just going to have to befriend that dipstick. Worst case scenario, you have to buy a couple cases of oil over the life of the vehicle. In the long term perspective, that's not a lot of money. Agreed, it shouldn't be consuming so much, but also remember its Congress who voted for the CAFE standards, so if you're really upset about this, write to your reps in Washington, not FCA. The manufacturers are just coping with government regulations. Compasses are not the only vehicles with oil consumption problems, other reputable manufacturers have the same issue: they must push the margin of error so far in the direction of fuel economy that other problems creep in. Like I said, write your politicians.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-15-2019, 11:15 PM

Garage
If it was me I'd be checking my oil on a new car every 1000 miles or any new motor for that matter. If you were checking your dipstick you could see the amount consumed every 1000 miles. By that gauge of consumption you can assume how low you are at 3000 miles when the indicator illuminated, an educated guess would be if there isnt any oil on the dipstick you're at least 2 quarts low out of the 2.4l 5.5 quart capacity. If you're waiting for your Jeep to tell you when you're out of oil you might want to consider mass transit because vehicle ownership might not be for you

Quote:
post #7 of 27 Old 09-16-2019, 11:35 PM

Garage
check your oil regularly. do not wait for low oil pressure light because low oil pressure is indicative of something serious.
you can try using 5w30 or 10w30. it will cause no harm.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-17-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepney_driver View Post
check your oil regularly. do not wait for low oil pressure light because low oil pressure is indicative of something serious.
you can try using 5w30 or 10w30. it will cause no harm.
He could probably get away with 5w-20, but 10w-30 is probably too thick. The oil also does hydraulics, its more than just a lubricant. In the 2nd Generation Compass the oil is sprayed not squirted so it has to be thin enough to atomize. Gook will not leak, but it won't get to the bearings either. That would be unfortunate.

Best case scenario was my 2018 that seemed to come around after 30,000 miles. I drive a lot so it "only" took about a year. I did add a quart of 5w20 once since it was all I had and better than nothing, but I wouldn't run with that on a regular basis. Once I got to a store I topped it off with 0w-20 and continued to refill it with the right stuff when needed.

Last edited by Jasmine; 09-17-2019 at 12:41 AM.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-17-2019, 02:21 PM

Jeep will definitely tear your warranty to pieces if they find out you poured 10w-30 in there...

I've said this same thing on all the other "Blahhhh my new Compass uses a lot of oiiillllllll" threads, but they keep popping up so I'll say it again:

Don't: Pour anything goofy into the motor to try to make it stop. That includes other non-recommended weights of oils. It's not an oil viscosity problem, and no magic motor potions are going to help and in some cases they might hurt a lot.

Do: Try to get your piston rings to seat well. There is a very limited span of time early in a motor's life to run the motor under a sustained moderate load to help the rings wear into the cylinder walls and make the best seal they can. If the cylinder walls glaze smooth without good combustion pressure working the rings into them the motor will never have the compression it should and will tend to burn more oil and soil the oil faster. You can google for more info but basically pulling a heavy trailer or loading down the car to max weight and doing some steady, moderate pulls is supposed to bring this about. Don't lug the motor but use manual shifting to keep it from downshifting and revving up. My brother's 2000 lb boat seemed to do the trick for me (or I was just lucky).

At 34k I'm using at the very most 1 qt/5000 miles, and thats only if I've been driving those 5000 miles very aggressively with a lot of high-revving (sadly its the only way to make the car get out of its own way and keep up with traffic, as you know). If I've been driving more moderately the consumption is maybe half of that.

Its tough to track accurately because there is quite a bit of thermal expansion in the oil so unless you check your oil parked in the exact same spot with the motor at the same temperature every time it will fool you by as much as 1/5 of the hash marks on the stick or more, watch out for that.

From what I understand this engine is designed to sacrifice some oil in trade for reduced internal friction, which contributes to more power and efficiency. The tolerances seem to vary a bit wildly on these bulk-factory produced motors unfortunately. Getting one that is close to the edge of spec (for piston ring tolerance) and then driving it a lot of high RPM bursts with no load/car empty is a recipe for making a motor that consumes oil quickly.

This is all just best-guess theory at this point. I would love for everyone to do a compression test and bring their numbers together alone with their consumption reports, we could build evidence for the theory, until then you have to bear in mind none of us have torn down one of these new motors to confirm any of this, BUT, if the oil is not leaking out then its getting burned, and that pretty much always goes back to piston ring tolerance or the PCV system, and I don't know if these motors even have PCV.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post

Do: Try to get your piston rings to seat well. There is a very limited span of time early in a motor's life to run the motor under a sustained moderate load to help the rings wear into the cylinder walls and make the best seal they can. If the cylinder walls glaze smooth without good combustion pressure working the rings into them the motor will never have the compression it should and will tend to burn more oil and soil the oil faster. You can google for more info but basically pulling a heavy trailer or loading down the car to max weight and doing some steady, moderate pulls is supposed to bring this about. Don't lug the motor but use manual shifting to keep it from downshifting and revving up. My brother's 2000 lb boat seemed to do the trick for me (or I was just lucky).
Nah, the correct and responsible thing to do is to NEVER check the oil level. Wait until low oil warning to come on, let this same thing happen multiple times and than come here and complain.

I have said this many times, but if you go back and look at all the posts that complain about severe oil consumption, they all have one thing in common. Owner never checked the oil level until low oil pressure warning kicked in, and sometimes more than once.

IMO if you get the low oil warning and drive the car that way even once, enough damage will be done to permanently cause oil consumption. The engine simply doesn't have any tolerance withstand extra wear.
lundy likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 02:31 PM

The reports we hear on here are only going to get worse and worse, you know people are going to be desperate and trying hoaky things like stop-leak in their oil and then there will be a whole crop of engines screwed up even worse by owner, but they won't admit to using the additives most of them.

I don't know, one way or another I seem to have gotten lucky enough mine only sips the tiniest bit as it was probably intended to do. Part of me loves getting new cars every few years and there are all kinds of cool options out there, then again part of me loves that this is essentially the last of the cars we will ever be able to buy without a bunch of safety BS built in, this car has all the safety tech I can stand and I'm not interested in lane keeping, camera/computer combos that brake for me or any of that other nonsense. When I'm old and my reaction time is shot then I'll happily take some driver aids, but until I am not capable of controlling the vehicle myself I don't want a package of "assistive" nannies to fight with. I don't need a blind spot indicator, I am capable of looking with my own two eyes. I don't want the car to try to brake for me if deer are crossing the road, sometimes braking is the wrong thing to do. If I screw up anywhere along the line, well thats on me and I can own up and be responsible for myself. I detest that we are making smarter cars for stupider people rather than actively trying to culture better, more attentive drivers. The only pass I give is to elderly people who would still like to remain independently mobile, but we're going to be running the ever-crowded roads with an entire generation of young idiots who will learn to let the car do most of the work.

OK thats enough ranting for now, better go refill my coffee!
Jasmine likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Posting on this site does not address your situation. Perhaps you should check your oil, maintain a safe level and/or visit your dealer. It's your problem, do something or destroy the engine. The world, this site, Jeep ... owes you nothing.
What a miracle. Jasmine answered my question!

asshat
post #13 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Nah, the correct and responsible thing to do is to NEVER check the oil level. Wait until low oil warning to come on, let this same thing happen multiple times and than come here and complain.

I have said this many times, but if you go back and look at all the posts that complain about severe oil consumption, they all have one thing in common. Owner never checked the oil level until low oil pressure warning kicked in, and sometimes more than once.

IMO if you get the low oil warning and drive the car that way even once, enough damage will be done to permanently cause oil consumption. The engine simply doesn't have any tolerance withstand extra wear.
I do check my oil. My issue was the low oil pressure alert appeared at widely different oil levels. However, I decided not to deal with the monstrosity that is known as the Jeep Compass and traded it in yesterday before something exploded at will.

post #14 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:

asshat
Anytime, my friend.
post #15 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 11:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

asshat
Cute post! Go ahead and take the advice from a stranger on the internet and use the wrong oil. Glad you got your answer. Do you work at Starbucks? If so ask the night mgr.
post #16 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 11:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
He could probably get away with 5w-20, but 10w-30 is probably too thick. The oil also does hydraulics, its more than just a lubricant. In the 2nd Generation Compass the oil is sprayed not squirted so it has to be thin enough to atomize. Gook will not leak, but it won't get to the bearings either. That would be unfortunate.

Best case scenario was my 2018 that seemed to come around after 30,000 miles. I drive a lot so it "only" took about a year. I did add a quart of 5w20 once since it was all I had and better than nothing, but I wouldn't run with that on a regular basis. Once I got to a store I topped it off with 0w-20 and continued to refill it with the right stuff when needed.
Bad advice.
post #17 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Bad advice.
Are you gonna run 10w-30 in yours? Lemme know how its doing in 10,000 miles. I think you'll be sorry. As @arudlang said, they won't honor the warranty. At least if you keep the spec oil in there you've got a leg to stand on.

Or were you reacting to my comment about 5w-20? I'm not recommending that, just saying its the closest thing to OEM. I added a quart once because it was so low I had to add something and it was all I had. Even that wasn't enough to fill, so she got a drink of 0w-20 before the day was over. No harm done to mine and as previously stated the oil consumption gradually decreased -- not to where I would have liked it, but to where I could live with it.

You'd do best to stick with OEM, especially if you really want to make an issue out of your problem. They can tell if its been run with the wrong oil and your claim will go nowhere.
post #18 of 27 Old 09-19-2019, 12:59 AM

Garage
My Compass does not use oil, you should stop recommending using other specs. Closest to OEM?!

Your speculation regarding what oil may or may not work is nonsense, perhaps you don't realize that.

Post counts do NOT lend credibility.

Writing about platforms, other engines as you often do, does not help anyone.

You put the wrong oil in an engine with known problems, and post about it. Not wise.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-19-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
I do check my oil. My issue was the low oil pressure alert appeared at widely different oil levels. However, I decided not to deal with the monstrosity that is known as the Jeep Compass and traded it in yesterday before something exploded at will.
If the oil level is kept within the crosshatch markings on the dipstick you should NOT be getting a low oil pressure light unless your engine has other issues.
arudlang likes this.

2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
post #20 of 27 Old 10-15-2019, 02:44 PM

Angry

I have a 2018 Jeep Compass and in the first 3200 miles it used 3.5 quarts of oil and because it got low the car stopped in the middle of the highway on my wife because of low oil. The dealer had us come in and change the oil and since then we have use another quart of oil. There is a problem with a lot of the 2.4 engines and Chrysler will not fix them. I contacted the NHTSA and file a complaint with them. I contacted the Chrysler Customer Care and the rep told me that a quart of oil in a 1000 mile was ok. I told her a quart of oil in a 1000 miles back in the 60's or 70's might have been ok but not for a 2018 car that had a sticker price of 30K+. I'm on my second oil comsumption test now and waiting to see the results. The long and short of it is there is a problem with some of the 2.4 engines and you might get unlucky to get one. I started buying Chrysler Corp. cars in the 60's and never had another product but if they don't cure this problem it will be my last one and I will get rid of this car and cut my loses. I said I would never buy a foreign made vehicle but they are starting to look good.
bobrom

Last edited by Bobrom; 10-15-2019 at 02:51 PM.
post #21 of 27 Old 10-16-2019, 02:24 AM

As stated above by me and several others ALL new engines will use some oil. To go 3000 miles without checking your dipstick is dangerous for the life of your engine and in your case also dangerous for the life of your wife.

My 2018 Compass used a lot of oil at first, but after 30,000 miles it settled to where I might get between oil changes without adding a quart.

Ranting on here doesn't do a thing. As for NHTSA they are a government agency and the government is who mandated the CAFE standards that manufacturers are meeting by reducing internal friction with looser engine tolerances and thinner oil.

However, I DO AGREE that no engine should just quit without warning. There should be a warning light to indicate low oil level, especially when the manufacturer knows there is a possibility/probability of considerable oil consumption. They will counter by saying, "We build these engines with a dipstick for a reason." So I doubt your complaint will gain any traction with NHTSA or any arbiter.

Also as stated above, my 2018 used a lot of oil at first. My 2019 has gone 9,000 miles and only used 1/2 quart in the first 5,000 and none since. That is totally normal and expected of a new engine. So clearly some of these engines are working just fine. Obviously yours is not as good as it should be and continued consumption at 1000/quart is a problem and should be addressed by the manufacturer and not considered normal -- its not.

At the risk of repeating myself, give it a few more thousand and see if the consumption improves like mine did. Meanwhile, develop a love affair with your dipstick -- its a friend that may save you a lot of agony, and maybe even a life.

Keep your cool and stay in touch.
serg102 likes this.
post #22 of 27 Old Yesterday, 12:31 AM

Garage
I was told that you can use the next heavier oil with no detrimental effects to the engine.
for example if you use 5-30 you can use a 10-30.
I have used 0-20 , 5-30 and 10-30. I do however add some small amount of additives or fortifiers like stiction eliminator, sometimes marvel mystery oil, rislone. Just small amounts around 4 oz max. or half a cup.
I am not too picky on oil brands. I have used Green Oil, Supertech(walmart), Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol.

I'm not too picky on oil filters either. I used fairly inexpensive filters even ones rated bad by others with no problems.

The longest I kept the oil in the engine was 1 year on Mobil 1 but fortified with Motorkote.

Oh and I only use synthetic oil. Regular oil even with 3k mile changes will produce sludge like what happened to my 1980 Camry.

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Yesterday at 04:56 AM.
post #23 of 27 Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

Garage
if your oil light comes on, your engine is telling you that you just comimited automotive murder. your engine just died.
better to have thicker oil than no oil.
the oil as the car gains mileage will naturally thicken.
unlike honda with their oil-fuel contamination problem the oil gets thinner and destroys the engine.
my compass has 290508 miles on the same engine, same transmission, same ac system, same suspension components, same cooling system.

Here's what I recently changed: Tires. The tire tech broke my tpms sending unit (front) but won't admit it.
Changed wiper blades (I change them every year)

Here's what I'm going to change in the near future:
1.All engine mounts
2. struts front and rear.
3. control arms (if needed)

I lubed all my ball joints that is why they lasted that long but now I hear some noise from the pivot bearings (i could not lube them without dismantling the strut assy. I will change them just because 290k + miles is long enough. The shocks are starting to soften however they do not leak. no oil leak but I suspect that at that mileage the nitrogen gas has probably all escaped. I won't know for sure until I take it part.

The most major thing I experienced with this car are the following:

1. the batteries do not last more than 5 years. It is almost due for a change since I changed it last 2015 August.
2. Another major was the radiator filler cap neck which broke. If your car has 100k + miles you better change this part. It cost less than 20 bucks. Do not wait for it to break. If you see a slight leak change it. it will self destruct.
3. Fuel pump said bye bye at 145k.
4. I changed the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors at around 150k just because I thought they might fail soon. My neighbor's toyota went out at around 97k
5. And because the dealer service advisor was a crook (they all are,in my opinion all makes) told me to replace the alternator when in fact it was only the pulley that was bad (noisy) Cost me 600+ bucks.

All in all this 2007 Jeep Compass has been a very good car for me. Like a good horse, you have to feed and take good care of it if you want it to take you around safely.

Some tips. Keep the car clean and try to keep rust from forming anywhere under the vehicle. There are many ways to do this. Just research. I am proud to say that my Jeep does not have one speck of rust. Well, there is but very very minimal to almost non existent.

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Yesterday at 04:50 AM.
post #24 of 27 Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepney_driver View Post
I was told that you can use the next heavier oil with no detrimental effects to the engine.
f
You probably can do that for a traditional engine, but tigershark engine uses oil as hydraulic fluid for the valve lifters, and the lubrication system delivers oil by aerosolizing it. It is a terrible idea to use different grade oil when the engine is designed to use a certain grade of oil for nontraditional applications
arudlang and georgef like this.
post #25 of 27 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepney_driver
the oil as the car gains mileage will naturally thicken.
unlike honda with their oil-fuel contamination problem the oil gets thinner and destroys the engine.
First off the first gens are not the same as the second gens so most of what you wrote about Compass specifics only half applies, but congrats on the longevity of your first gen.

As to these quoted statements, there is no reason to expect oil to "thicken", even if it did get any significantly thicker (it doesn't, but whatever) it would be nullified by changing the oil and getting fresh oil in, so that just makes so sense front to back.

As for oil contamination, the new Compass 2.4 engines have potentially plenty of issues with contamination because the piston rings have loose tolerances, allowing bits of gas to slip by and thin/contaminate the oil. This seems to be common to lots of inexpensive mass produced modern engines across all brands.

It's a free country and people can put whatever goofy stuff they want in their oil, I have an opinion that folks shouldn't, that is all.
georgef likes this.
post #26 of 27 Old Today, 02:51 AM

Garage
My apologies folks. I am so used to my old 07 compass that I forgot about the new tigershark engine which uses 0-20 oil.
Yes, in my opinion you should monitor oil usage regularly if your car uses the new thinner oil. Especially when the car is new and going thru the break-in process,
Maybe you can use or make a chart of mileage vs oil consumption to see if the problem is getting worse or better over time.

Never trust idiot lights to tell you that your oil is low. That light is an indicator for low oil pressure. If it lights up it might be too late.
Of course after you changed oil and when the filter is still empty the light will come on momentarily which is normal.

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Today at 03:43 PM.
post #27 of 27 Old Today, 03:22 PM

Garage
Here's a picture of my mileage.
Notice that two of my tipms sensors do not work. they were damaged when the tire tech installed my new tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191016_204552.jpg (24.3 KB, 1 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in