What are you comparing the 2017+ Compass to? - Page 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 43 Old 10-11-2017, 12:15 PM

It does have 43 miles on it right now with the check engine light on...could be something really wrong with it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 10-29-2017, 11:33 AM

Here in Australia, I'm comparing a Limited to the VW Tiguan Highline and the 2018 Honda CR-V (smaller engine, CVVT but equal on features)....the only problem is the latter two are available, the Compass isn't out here until about December

Pre Ordered 2018 Compass Limited 2.0 Diesel with Advanced Safety Pack - due mid 2018 !
post #33 of 43 Old 10-30-2017, 07:38 PM

Garage
I just joined this site, so I'm a little late to the game. I just read through this thread and found it quite interesting. Just a quick background on me:

I'm in sales/fleet department now at a Volvo and Mazda dealership. I've been in sales for 14 years total. I've sold Honda's (nest to Buick, Cadillac and GMC's) for 11 years. I've owned several Jeeps now, but not all in a row. With that said....

About the size of the new Compass, it's extremely close to the size of the Mazda CX5. I personally own a 2016 Jeep Patriot, and even that is similar in size to the CX5, CRv, and Toyota Rav4. The Mazda CX3 is a much smaller vehicle and is based on the Mazda2 sold in Japan and sold in the USA under Toyota as the I-A (formerly Scion). The HRv is a little smaller too, but I don't know as much about that because I didn't sell it.

In terms of MPG's, I don't care how you slice it or which brand. It all comes down to how you drive, your tire pressure, air filter, driving conditions, etc. It really makes me laugh when I hear people talk about Honda and Toyota being so good on fuel. I have a friend who drives a Honda Pilot and a GMC Sierra Duramax and his truck gets better MPG's. Personally, I keep my vehicle well kept and the tires are checked monthly and kept at the suggested pressure. My Patriot is the 2.4L, front drive with the 6 speed auto. If I'm not using the A/C and I drive nice, I will get just a tick over 31mpg. Under normal every day driving in mostly city with a couple highway miles in the mix, I will average 22 mpg. Again, I currently sell Mazda's and I will guarantee you the CX5 drivers are not getting anything above that. Most are averaging around 25 total.

For anyone thinking about buying the Mazda CX5, I can personally attest to how they drive and feel. I deliver cars for the fleet/internet department and I've put well over a thousand miles on the new 2017's. Although they are much more quiet than the old CX5, it still falls short in many areas. Getting comfortable in one is nearly impossible due to the ergonomics are so bad. In training, I've spent time in the Honda/Toyota's as well, and the Mazda is at least better than those two mainly because Mazda refuses to use the CVT trans! Thank goodness for that!

At the end of the day, I can't tell you how many times I get out of the Mazda and walk to my Patriot to go home. I get in and can't believe how much more I like it than driving the CX5. But hey, that's just me.
cygnusjen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 11-04-2017, 01:11 PM

New Rav4 Hybrid, all the way:

https://www.toyota.com/rav4/

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
@
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

post #35 of 43 Old 08-02-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2016jeep View Post
I just joined this site, so I'm a little late to the game. I just read through this thread and found it quite interesting. Just a quick background on me:

I'm in sales/fleet department now at a Volvo and Mazda dealership. I've been in sales for 14 years total. I've sold Honda's (nest to Buick, Cadillac and GMC's) for 11 years. I've owned several Jeeps now, but not all in a row. With that said....

About the size of the new Compass, it's extremely close to the size of the Mazda CX5. I personally own a 2016 Jeep Patriot, and even that is similar in size to the CX5, CRv, and Toyota Rav4. The Mazda CX3 is a much smaller vehicle and is based on the Mazda2 sold in Japan and sold in the USA under Toyota as the I-A (formerly Scion). The HRv is a little smaller too, but I don't know as much about that because I didn't sell it.

In terms of MPG's, I don't care how you slice it or which brand. It all comes down to how you drive, your tire pressure, air filter, driving conditions, etc. It really makes me laugh when I hear people talk about Honda and Toyota being so good on fuel. I have a friend who drives a Honda Pilot and a GMC Sierra Duramax and his truck gets better MPG's. Personally, I keep my vehicle well kept and the tires are checked monthly and kept at the suggested pressure. My Patriot is the 2.4L, front drive with the 6 speed auto. If I'm not using the A/C and I drive nice, I will get just a tick over 31mpg. Under normal every day driving in mostly city with a couple highway miles in the mix, I will average 22 mpg. Again, I currently sell Mazda's and I will guarantee you the CX5 drivers are not getting anything above that. Most are averaging around 25 total.

For anyone thinking about buying the Mazda CX5, I can personally attest to how they drive and feel. I deliver cars for the fleet/internet department and I've put well over a thousand miles on the new 2017's. Although they are much more quiet than the old CX5, it still falls short in many areas. Getting comfortable in one is nearly impossible due to the ergonomics are so bad. In training, I've spent time in the Honda/Toyota's as well, and the Mazda is at least better than those two mainly because Mazda refuses to use the CVT trans! Thank goodness for that!

At the end of the day, I can't tell you how many times I get out of the Mazda and walk to my Patriot to go home. I get in and can't believe how much more I like it than driving the CX5. But hey, that's just me.
That is strange, before picking up my compass- i purchased a 2016 cx-5 and lets not beat around the bush here, there's just no comparison as the mazda drives like a V6 and puts power to the wheels with its skyactiv system. I ended up returning it due to a water leak in the read lift gate, but loved to drive it. The compass drives like someone put my lawnmower motor in it- so as long as i drive in normal traffic conditions then i dont miss too much. passing other cars is a pipe dream though.
post #36 of 43 Old 08-02-2018, 07:25 PM

My previous car was a Kuga (Escape to the US folks) and was quite a lot bigger than my Compass. It was a lot heavier and thirstier too.

Before that I had a couple of Yetiís which were very similar in size and running costs. It also feels very similar in size to my Freelander 1ís that I had in the past even though the later Freelanders would be considered a size up from the Compass.
post #37 of 43 Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I'm coming from a long line of Jeeps, other Chrysler products, and GM products. I purchased my Compass to replace my 2008 Jeep Patriot. I miss the Patriot but I'm satisfied with the Compass. The Compass is cushier than the Patriot, but it doesn't feel as much like a Jeep as my Patriot did. Most of my driving is on the highway so the Compass is a good vehicle for me.

Fuel economy has been a real surprise. I'm getting well over 30MPG overall (31.1 since purchase) and well into the low 30s MPG on a level highway.

I really don't care for the 9-spd auto -- a headwind will make it downshift and a hill will make it drop down three or four gears. The thing just loves shifting! I'm hoping it will last since I tend to keep my vehicles to 200,000+ miles, but all that shifting makes me worry.

Last edited by Jasmine; 08-05-2018 at 02:18 AM.
post #38 of 43 Old 11-22-2018, 02:30 AM

Garage
I test drove a Certified Audi Q3 before I started looking at the 2nd gen Compass. I preferred the Audi but at $35K for a used car and the dealer won't budge with the sale price or trade in value, it wasn't much of a choice. The Jeep was a compromise but with the $3K rebate and discounts it was almost $10,000 less than the Audi with similar features.
Jasmine likes this.
post #39 of 43 Old 11-22-2018, 02:00 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
I test drove a Certified Audi Q3 before I started looking at the 2nd gen Compass. I preferred the Audi but at $35K for a used car and the dealer won't budge with the sale price or trade in value, it wasn't much of a choice. The Jeep was a compromise but with the $3K rebate and discounts it was almost $10,000 less than the Audi with similar features.
Think of it as an Audi with a $10,000 rebate! I knew someone who had an Audi he loved, but said they priced him out of the market when he retired. He dropped down to a VW.
post #40 of 43 Old 11-27-2018, 01:03 AM

Hyundai Tucson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #41 of 43 Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM

Here in Argentina I compared the Compass to the Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage and Peugeot 3008. It was finally down to the Peugeot 3008 (beautiful, game changing design but only front-wheel drive) and the Compass Limited. Finally chose the Compass Limited.
post #42 of 43 Old 11-28-2018, 08:50 PM

Garage
I was looking at the CR-V and Escape and hadn't really checked the Compass out, but when I saw it I fell in love with the looks and how it drove.
post #43 of 43 Old 11-29-2018, 10:39 PM

Garage
Compass Trailhawk about the same price as the Limited.

I should have waited for the dealer to receive their Trailhawk version. It has similar equipment as the Limited but offered more off road capabilities at the same price. GRRRRRRRR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in