My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Engine Cover???

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ledsled71 
#1 ·
ok, so far we are impressed with the Compass for the price range and class of vehicle. We have noticed all of the concerns that have been mentioned on here, as well (ie the engine noise with CVT, ticking, etc)

there is one thing that hasn't sat well with me... the model we got didn't have an engine cover. This seemed rather odd, but the Salesperson said that they had one but they weren't done detailing the car as of yet. Then come Monday when we were to pick it up, he said they stopped making them. Funny, how drastically the story changed.

Are there any other 'engine cover-less' Compass' owners???

thanks!!!

#2 ·
N.S.E.W. said:
ok, so far we are impressed with the Compass for the price range and class of vehicle. We have noticed all of the concerns that have been mentioned on here, as well (ie the engine noise with CVT, ticking, etc)

there is one thing that hasn't sat well with me... the model we got didn't have an engine cover. This seemed rather odd, but the Salesperson said that they had one but they weren't done detailing the car as of yet. Then come Monday when we were to pick it up, he said they stopped making them. Funny, how drastically the story changed.

Are there any other 'engine cover-less' Compass' owners???

thanks!!!
I think I remember reading somewhere that initially theCalibers did have an engine cover but they stopped making them with engine covers. Seems dumb to me! I'd assume it would be the same thing with the Compass. However if I remember correctly they were still going to make the Caliber R/T's with an engine cover and the R/T has the same 2.4L engine that is found in most Compass'.

#6 ·
It makes the engine compartment look neet and tidy . . . but . . . I do find it difficult to locate the hole to replace the oil dip stick, especially in less then bright light.

#9 ·
ledsled71 said:
Neely,

(Big Bruins fan, by the way)

As a mechanic, I'd have to say that it helps trap dirt (not inside the engine, but under the cover).

I find the dipstick hole hard to find, as well - even without the cover.
Good stuff. Hopefully we can make the playoffs this season.

So then you should clean the engine cover from time to time? (On the inside)

#10 ·
You can clean it well when you're replacing your spark plugs or thermostat (if you're inclined to do it yourself). Not much dirt gathers, but it's in a place that you can't pressure-wash.

Today's engines are comprised of so much plastic and aluminum that they're not as prone to rusting as older engines (and engine bays) are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.