My Jeep Compass Forum banner

crappy gas milage

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  tripplec 
#1 ·
hey im looking for tips to improve my gas milage, i filled up a week ago and outta the tank of 51 ltres i got 360km,mixed driving city highway and easy on the gas i dont drive over 110 kmh and when driving thru town i use 5th gear when i can which s alot, im just wondering what everyone else is getting , 2008 compass north 5spd, 93000km on the engine. any help please

#2 ·
I only test on highway driving since that is where I have a messure of control. City rural and such is so variable. Lights, traffic, yahoo's cutting infront, farmers who don't signal and just do as the want as if they're all alone on the road.

Having said that. I got a solid 27MPG on a recent trip to Montreal doing about 115k/hr AVG. On a return trip I drove through through a lot of rain and freezing rain force me to slow down. Avg 100k/hr resulted in 30MPG. Last year I did several test getting 29 and 30-31MPG but thats the best I've seen. I don't see how this powertrain can achieve 39MPG or even close. Other than programming updates their is not difference in the last few years other than the 2011 having a different body. But 2010 were said to be 39MPG on Jeep website with 4x4 & CVT.

Note I even have new CVT transmission and if anything its lower than on the original CVT. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and despite its age its getting 25-26MPG on the same trips along the 401 and speed.

#3 ·
Have you done a tune up on it, changed the plugs and air filter? Next thing would be to clean the throttle body. Just those alone should bring your numbers up somewhat.

- Cherokee

#4 ·
Plugs changes last year and air filter just changed but checked several time. It did not look that dirty and light could be seen through it.

No to trottle body though.

#5 ·
no i havent but i will do that, imgonna add the k&n intake and i must ask how to clean the throttle body ? ill youtube it. plugs what is a good plug to use? also do you guys use top notch gas or just regular unleaded i just filled with the best gas and waiting to see the numbers this tanks pulls out but will definatley do the filter and plugs and throttle body. thanks...

#6 ·
I have tried mid grade gas and believe it gives better millage from the miles to fill again. I did not measure it though. You have to realize that regular gas has 10% ethanol, that 1 gallon in every 10 gallons. Thats a lot of fluid which is hard on engines and I laugh when I saw winter gas now on the pump at Petro Canada. You'll never have water/freezing problems with all that ethanol in the system. Back to the grades though, mid grade in some stations such as Shell reduce it to 5% and Premium has 0% so yes you'll get better millage with them. But at an increased cost to buy it.

When I changed my plugs I saw no improvement in economy and did the pedal reset later to see if it would relearn and improve things. But MPG is about the same. My engine starts very good, Accelerates, runs good, so I cannot complain about the driveability of it. But for the engine size and vehicle weight its pretty bad gas millage. Try towing something and see it noise dive below 20 for sure.

#7 · (Edited)
i will be towing this coming summer, but 1 question, you got a class 3 hitch... whats the difference between 2 and 3 class. so far i put the premium gas in it and got almost 300 km to a half a tank and really its only like 8 buck extra for the better gas gas here is 1.28 a liter for the good stuff 1.21 for regular and whats a pedal relearn????

#8 ·
CLASS III has the 2" receiver opening and it a much more robust hitch. The price difference if very very little to the hitch shop. Once installed you have a solid point to hook a chain, rope to pull from also with the insert in the receive as I alway have. If someone bumps your rear end the crumple their front and you just drive away.

#10 ·
Yeap, they have over the years and they're the ones who are sorry. With the inserting 2" stock with a 1" harden steel front and a 2" ball on it. Its as good as a bumper. Their front does the crumpling and will drive way into the front before they touch my back bumper.

I don't leave home without it.

#11 ·
I get about 500kms out of a tank before the light comes on and even then there is still about 7-8L left in the tank. With my winter tires on I will get less, probably around 430-450kms before the light comes on. I travel pretty constant at 90kmh except if I on the 400,401,407 ect ect.
My best was getting 530kms out of a tank before the light came on.
2008 2.4, 5 speed

#13 ·
Well I have a new air filter in it now and did another test Highway 115km/hr 27MPG and driving under 100km/hr (80-90 mostly) 28MPG. Pretty bad in my opinion. With virtually everything computer managed there is very little the user can do.

#15 ·
Well I don't normally run it real low or check with a full tank used since the millage becomes muddled with city/town/ back road driving.

So what the MPG. Fill up and calculate based on how much to fill it back up using the distance driven from the previous fill up. That the only real way to calculate it. EVIC and other indicators are best guess but not what you've actually done.

#17 ·
Well ran the tank until the low fuel lamp came on. <400km on the tank. Crappy no matter how I look at it. I am having the dealer I got the new CVT from check to see if there are any setting to improve this. I know its pretty sensitive on the highway now. With a little more than slight pressure at 100-110km/hr it with take of from 2400rpm to 4ooo to 4500 rpm. I expect if I stopped the gas it would Red Line for sure. Wasn't like that before and gas millage was 29-31 hwy. The 31 was when not going more that 100km/hr though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.