My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Canadian Tire Rims

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  rommel543 
#1 ·
I've been looking for some 17 inch rims for my winter tires. This week, Canadian Tire has some for $69 on special. It seems like a good price but was wondering if anyone knew if these will work with my Compass? Thanks.

#3 ·
Just don't have Canadian Tire install them. The one by my house the kids in the garage go joy riding in the customers vechiles. Apparently this is common occurace in many of the locations along with swapping parts (speakers, engine parts, etc) or using used items in place of the new ones you purchased.

I had my tires changed at Canadian tire (many years ago) to put my snow tired on the front of my car. When I took it in I told them that my winter tires are in the trunk and please put the all seasons in there when you take them off. The took the brand new Goodyears off and threw them in the garbage. I didn't realize this until a couple days later when I went to take the tires out and put them into the garage. I went back to get my tires and was told that they're gone and they wouldn't replace them. After complaining to the management they replaced them with a pair or mid-ranged all seasons.

No offence to anyone that works at Canadian Tire. I still shop there, purchase many of my house-hold items there, just would never take my vechile there.

#4 ·
Steel rims are steel rims . . . mostly all the same quality for quality . . .

Just a thought . . . I just went with 16" rims instead of 17" as there is much better selection available in tyres in that size, they are better priced, give better traction and you can go with a better quality tyre for the same money.

#5 ·
I've heard a lot of Canadian Tire horror stories. I wouldn't trust them to put air in my tires let alone do an oil change or some rocket science like that. Friggin' idiots, all of them. And crooks. One time I was passing through the Service dept and a customer was enraged because they changed spark plugs and did a bunch of other work he didn't authorize. The guy couldn't do much because the new parts were in. Man he was pissed. I have sworn I'll never take a vehicle there for anything!!

#6 ·
Webmaster said:
I've heard a lot of Canadian Tire horror stories. I wouldn't trust them to put air in my tires let alone do an oil change or some rocket science like that. Friggin' idiots, all of them. And crooks. One time I was passing through the Service dept and a customer was enraged because they changed spark plugs and did a bunch of other work he didn't authorize. The guy couldn't do much because the new parts were in. Man he was pissed. I have sworn I'll never take a vehicle there for anything!!
A little harsh there Webmaster, CT is a excellent retail outlet for so much merchandise, and prices overall very good, we should support our CANADIAN TIRE, personally I give them my support over Walmart, Costco, or, wait for this, I am sure they are coming to pull in our Canadian dollars also, Target.
In so far as a Automotive service point, they do have great lifts, and are competent to a point, I mean to mount and change tires, or do an oil change, I mean if you can do it yourself they can probably to it too, like I say they have great lifts, and all the tools.
Myself, I would not use them, not because they are crooks as you suggest, I just prefer to go to places with more specialized mechanics, not apprentices.

-Oh ya, I for sure would never leave my car with them and come back later . . . If I ever absolutley needed thier attention to something I would stay and baby sit my car, keeping an eye on it from the waiting room. . . Also I would never leave my car at a garage that won't let me in to the racks to see the car when up or discuss the work with the actual mechanic, not the just the guy at the desk who writes up the work orders.

#7 ·
Webmaster said:
The Canadian Tire is right by us (neighbors across the street, their back ally bumps up against the back parking lot to CT). During the summer a couple guys from there were doing donuts and cop turns in the back lot. My neighbor went over to CT to complain (there are kids who skate baord there including his kids). When my neighbor made the comment about customers seeing this and how they going to treat their car, the Asst Manager made the comment that it very well may be a customers car and they have had alot of problems with that.

#8 ·
i2canoe said:
A little harsh there Webmaster, CT is a excellent retail outlet for so much merchandise, and prices overall very good, we should support our CANADIAN TIRE, personally I give them my support over Walmart, Costco, or, wait for this, I am sure they are coming to pull in our Canadian dollars also, Target....
I was referring to their automotive service department, in case that wasn't clear. I have no problem buying things from there, but I'd never take a vehicle there for service.

I like Cdn Tire a thousand times more than I like Wal-Mart. I refuse to shop at wallyworld.

To reiterate, this is my opinion only based on my experiences. OK, maybe a bit harsh but I think I got the point across :shock:

#9 ·
Webmaster: " I was referring to their automotive service department, in case that wasn't clear. I have no problem buying things from there, but I'd never take a vehicle there for service.
I like Cdn Tire a thousand times more than I like Wal-Mart. I refuse to shop at wallyworld."

OK, so we are on the same page, good for cash and carry, but wouldn't let them fix the car.
The only time I have ever given over my car to CT was one time I was selling it and the buyer insisted on them doing the inspection for him, they found fair problems, expected on a car that age, and the buyer paid them and bought the car, so worked out well.
So maybe they are capable of doing an inspection, and I might let them change a battery . . . but not to really work on my car.

#10 ·
Anyone that got winter rims and snowtires have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System?
I asked the dealer about getting winter rims and they told me I would need to buy 4 Tire Pressure Montiors for each tire. Apparently there is no way to turn it off. btw...they said it would cost around $80 each.

#11 ·
darth wolf said:
Anyone that got winter rims and snowtires have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System?
I asked the dealer about getting winter rims and they told me I would need to buy 4 Tire Pressure Montiors for each tire. Apparently there is no way to turn it off. btw...they said it would cost around $80 each.
Cant you just transfer the tire monitors to the winter tires?

:?:

#12 ·
A buddy of mine works at a local tire place. You DON'T have to buy new ones if the guys in the tire shop are carefull in replacing the tires. The only reason shops do that is because they aren't skilled enough to change the tires them without damaging the sensors. The shop know the mechanics are going to do this so they pass the buck to the customer so they don't have to replace the sensors.

My opinion is to take it to a differnent shop.

#13 ·
I was under the impression the sensors where inside the rims/tires.

I would assume if I was changing the tires only and keeping the rims that the sensors would stay put, but I if I was getting winter rims for the snows then new sensors would need to be in place. (unless they uninstalled the summer tires to get the sensors out). Then that would kind of defeat the purpose of getting winter rims as I prefer to do my own tire changes each season.

#14 ·
darth wolf said:
I was under the impression the sensors where inside the rims/tires.

I would assume if I was changing the tires only and keeping the rims that the sensors would stay put, but I if I was getting winter rims for the snows then new sensors would need to be in place. (unless they uninstalled the summer tires to get the sensors out). Then that would kind of defeat the purpose of getting winter rims as I prefer to do my own tire changes each season.
No the sensors are in the tire. There's a picture of them here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=44

#15 ·
Looks like one really needs to buy their winter tires mounted on rims, and not change the tires from the rims each season.

Ergo it makes all the more sense to go to 16 rims and tires for the winter.

#17 ·
I had Nitrogen put into the tires about month ago and it was great until yesterday. Because of the cold air the pressure sensors screwed up and stated that the pressure in the tires was down to 100kpa instead of the 270-290 it should be. Of course it was the wife who found this out and instead of looking at the tires and realizing that the sensors may be wrong she pulled into the corner gas station and put AIR into the nitrogen filled tires.

$60 down the drain......

#18 ·
rommel543 said:
I had Nitrogen put into the tires about month ago and it was great until yesterday. Because of the cold air the pressure sensors screwed up and stated that the pressure in the tires was down to 100kpa instead of the 270-290 it should be. Of course it was the wife who found this out and instead of looking at the tires and realizing that the sensors may be wrong she pulled into the corner gas station and put AIR into the nitrogen filled tires.

$60 down the drain......
The air mixes with the nitrogen - NO problem, you don't lose the nitrogen. But $60, they charge that much for nitrogen? Yikes! My tire shop fills with that no charge.

#19 ·
i2canoe said:
The air mixes with the nitrogen - NO problem, you don't lose the nitrogen. But $60, they charge that much for nitrogen? Yikes! My tire shop fills with that no charge.
If I was getting tire work done then it would be no charge but I was just getting them purged and re-filled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.