Switching from WK2 to a Compass? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 1 Old 04-16-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Switching from WK2 to a Compass?

Hey everybody, new here and the 2017 Compass REALLY caught my eye considering the upgrades and features over last year's model, and price point. Just wanted to get a quick opinion here.

I currently have an older WK2 - a 2011 with 147K miles. I just recently put about $1,500 of maintenance into it, but there are still a few annoying issues (fuel cap or tank pressure line leak, sway bar needs replaced, new rear right brakes I installed are squealing for some reason when I first drive it after sitting, power door lock actuator on 1 door is broken, power liftgate motor needs replaced, blower motor sounds like it's dying, driver seat leather is tearing). Basically, I'm kind of tired of fixing stuff.

If I trade the vehicle in, I can break even on the loan and owe nothing. If I sell privately, I think I can make $2000-$3000. This is my winter/rainy day/cargo vehicle, and I don't really "need" it until winter hits again, so that's why I'm considering trying to sell it now and maybe wait a few months before picking anything else up.

I'm paying $225 a month on the loan right now for the next 4 1/2 years. It has a HEMI and the 5-speed, so terrible gas mileage as well. I saw that, if I get about $3,000 off MSRP (either through negotiation, incentives, down payment), I can lease a well-equipped limited for about $300 a month. With fuel savings alone, I am BARELY going to pay anything more than what I am for my WK2 right now. If I have any more major repairs on the WK2, that would certainly end up costing me more.

Anyone think this is a terrible idea - am I missing something here? I really like everything I'm seeing about the new Compass, but haven't drove one yet. I just feel like it'd be stupid of me to keep paying for an old vehicle, and potentially more costly repairs, when I could lease a brand new one for the same cost (and then potentially buy it out later on if it's a good vehicle). I drive about 20K miles per year, but again, I have 2 vehicles, so leasing 1 would work out just fine as far as mileage goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in