UConnect Restarting/Freezing - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdeprenda
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
 
UConnect Restarting/Freezing

I picked up my 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk over the weekend and so far I love almost everything about the vehicle with the exception of the UConnect system. The instant the vehicle is turned on I get a "Sound System Unavailable" message in the instrument cluster. Over the past 3 days the Uconnect system has become completely unresponsive twice. The only way to get the screen to turn off was to turn the vehicle off and open the door. Additionally, the UConnect system has completely rebooted unexpectedly while driving. I like the vehicle, but these issues are putting a major downer on my first Jeep and first new car experience. After searching around other forums, it seems the Renegade suffered from something similar a couple months ago, but I don't know if there was a solution.

Not sure if it is related, but I have also been on the phone with the Sirrius XM Guardian support line several times trying to activate the free trial of the remote services. All of the in car features work when the UConnect system is not restarting/freezing and the support techs tell me everything is active and setup, but when I try to use the mobile app or log into the Jeep owner website, both tell me the services are not active.

I bought the vehicle for its size and capability and not necessarily all of the bells and whistles, but these issues are adding frustration to what should be a fun new vehicle. Are there any other Jeep Compass owners having similar issues?
bripappas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bripappas View Post
I picked up my 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk over the weekend and so far I love almost everything about the vehicle with the exception of the UConnect system. The instant the vehicle is turned on I get a "Sound System Unavailable" message in the instrument cluster. Over the past 3 days the Uconnect system has become completely unresponsive twice. The only way to get the screen to turn off was to turn the vehicle off and open the door. Additionally, the UConnect system has completely rebooted unexpectedly while driving. I like the vehicle, but these issues are putting a major downer on my first Jeep and first new car experience. After searching around other forums, it seems the Renegade suffered from something similar a couple months ago, but I don't know if there was a solution.

Not sure if it is related, but I have also been on the phone with the Sirrius XM Guardian support line several times trying to activate the free trial of the remote services. All of the in car features work when the UConnect system is not restarting/freezing and the support techs tell me everything is active and setup, but when I try to use the mobile app or log into the Jeep owner website, both tell me the services are not active.

I bought the vehicle for its size and capability and not necessarily all of the bells and whistles, but these issues are adding frustration to what should be a fun new vehicle. Are there any other Jeep Compass owners having similar issues?
I have a 17 Trailhawk as well... everything is working fine, but I have noticed on a few occasions that the Uconnect has restarted itself. Screen blanks out and comes back on after a few seconds and you get the "accept" screen. I guess, like any other computer, the software can run into errors and freeze. Document and take pictures of the screen when it happens. Be firm with the dealership when asking for a solution or even replacement radio. Escalate it to a Chrysler Jeep Rep if need be. Good luck!
cygnusjen likes this.
tdeprenda is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 06-04-2017, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
 
Today I noticed the the back left speaker is not working. Hopefully this is the reason for the "Sound System Unavailable" message and will be an easy fix when I can get it to the dealer next week. Spent some more time on the phone with both Sirius XM Guardian and the UConnect support lines, and while the representatives are very nice, they are pretty much useless when it comes to anything more then activating your account (which is still not working for me). Sirrius Guardian help line tells me it is UConnect problem and the Uconnect help line tells me it is a Sirrius Guardian problem, Uggh. I played around on some forest trails today and absolutely love the vehicle for what it is meant to do, but the electronics are being a little flaky for me.
bripappas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 162
 
Hopefully your dealer can figure out the sound system problem and maybe even replace the unit if they can fix it. Should be covered under factory warranty since your Compass is new.
wheelin is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 06-07-2017, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
 
I took the Compass TH to the dealership today. They replaced the speaker and for a brief time it worked and the "Sound System Unavailable" message went away, but after a few minutes, the message was back and the rear left speaker did not work again. Apparently the UConnect system thinks the speaker has a short and is putting that channel into a self-protect mode. That is what is causing the "Sound System Unavailable" message. My service adviser said he contacted the Chrysler/UConnect engineers and that they said both the freezing/restarting and the speaker malfunctioning were widespread issues and that a software patch would be available in the next couple weeks. As a software engineer myself I can accept freezing/restarting bugs in a new model year vehicle that need to be worked out, but I find it a little hard to believe that a single speaker malfunctioning due a supposed short is a software problem. But, until this rumored patch is available I will remain optimistic. In the meantime, I left the dealership with all of the exact same issues as when I dropped it off, but with a promise a near term software patch will fix all of my woes.

Also, I know there are not a ton of these things out in the wild yet, but for this being a "widespread" problem, I cannot find another mention of it anywhere. This is my first time buying a new vehicle so I kind of expected to not have these types of issues. Is there anything else I should do besides waiting for a software patch?
bripappas is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 07-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
 
Did the service adviser / Uconnect engineers give you any information on the "widespread issue"/update they are working on? My sister in Law just bought a Limited with the Navigation option and her Uconnect system has been rebooting randomly while she's driving. She took it into the dealer and they ended up replacing the entire Nav unit which seemed to resolve the issue for a few days but now its rebooting again.

I'm not sure why they would replace the hardware, with the system just rebooting you'd think a software update would likely resolve the issue, but who knows.

Hopefully the update is available sooner rather then later.
Lankyr is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 07-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
 
Ihave had the resetting issue a few time but its in and out and dont ffect anything so far
Joe Davis is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 07-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
 
Yep, 600 miles, Uconnect is super slow to respond and 2 days ago I started, drove about a half mile, and shut down. Restarted 3 minutes later and drove the 4 miles home with zero sound. Everything with the radio worked, including volume control and the weird "mute" button, but the only thing that made the sound work again was shutting down for a few hours. I think this radio will be a source of frustration in the months to come.
Ddoug is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 07-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Member
 
17JeepCompass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
 
That sucks! Keep us updated. The only issue I have it the SMS read out - it is turned off but it still announces I have one and asks if it should read it outloud.

I went into the settings and SMS is turned off.

:: 2017 Jeep Compass High Altitude ::
17JeepCompass is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 07-24-2017, 04:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Norman Parks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6
 
Garage
I had it so it would not connect to Bluetooth at all even after a reboot and factory reset I had to leave it and go pick up groceries when I come back it acted like nothing happened it connected to my phone just fine

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Norman Parks is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Member
 
cygnusjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 38
 
Garage
I noticed in our Trailhawk this weekend at least one reboot, but so far that's it. Aside from needing to learn the system, only complaint is the stream of heat advisory and flood advisory warnings for counties I've never even heard of!
cygnusjen is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 07-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 156
 
I noticed that FCA and other car makers won't give you updates on when certain things will happen or what the timeline is like, so we'll have to be patient. On the bright side we don't have any really serious issues, hence why I like buying from Jeep!
Joel is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusjen View Post
I noticed in our Trailhawk this weekend at least one reboot, but so far that's it. Aside from needing to learn the system, only complaint is the stream of heat advisory and flood advisory warnings for counties I've never even heard of!
Someone in another forum had posted about the weather alerts for areas outside of where you are. Very annoying and can't adjust at all. This person said they contacted Uconnect and they are working on a fix. I had thought it was a SiriusXM issue because you get 5 years free with Uconnect. They thought even though the data comes from SiriusXM that maybe there would be a setting to localize it and that's where Uconnect comes into play.

Last edited by tdeprenda; 07-25-2017 at 03:58 PM.
tdeprenda is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 07-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Member
 
cygnusjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 38
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeprenda View Post
Someone in another forum had posted about the weather alerts for areas outside of where you are. Very annoying and can't adjust at all. This person said they contacted Uconnect and they are working on a fix. I had thought it was a SiriusXM issue because you get 5 years free with Uconnect. They thought even though the data comes from SiriusXM that maybe there would be a setting to localize it and that's where Uconnect comes into play.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a Sirius thing, but we haven't had time to figure any of that out yet :/ When I do I will post something.
cygnusjen is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
 
Are there any more updates to this problem? I bought a 17 Compass a month ago. My UConnect seems to freeze up randomly at least once a day. Turning the car off & restarting fixes the problem, but yeah, what a hassle to take a brand new car into the dealership.
Cohl is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 09-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
 
2017 Compass Trailhawk

have you taken your vehicle into the dealership? what was their solution if so, i have a '17 trailhawk and had the screen freezing, produced videos to the dealership that nothing would work and then the restart would happen about two minutes later. They made me wait for an update which was performed about two weeks ago and the problem persists. They are going to bring it in this week but say if the tech is not able to duplicate it there is nothing that they can do. Anyone have an advise?
PL841D is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 09-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 368
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PL841D View Post
have you taken your vehicle into the dealership? what was their solution if so, i have a '17 trailhawk and had the screen freezing, produced videos to the dealership that nothing would work and then the restart would happen about two minutes later. They made me wait for an update which was performed about two weeks ago and the problem persists. They are going to bring it in this week but say if the tech is not able to duplicate it there is nothing that they can do. Anyone have an advise?
Hi PL841D,

I'm sorry to hear that the update has not corrected the freezing issue! Please feel free to send a private message to us with your VIN and the date of your appointment; we can have our case handling team assist further while the Jeep is in service.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is online now  
post #18 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
 
Just picked up my 2018 Compass Limited on 8-24-18 and was loving it . Then the UConnect system just started acting up . It would not connect to my iphone every time via Blue tooth or cable but sometimes would . Then it would disconnect and just go back to radio and then it started just shutting down and restarting . Full black screen and no functions . Then it would restart in 20 to 60 seconds . It is beyond annoying right now . I can't keep it working as I drive . Will be calling dealer service and they better have a solution or I will be very unhappy . This is so weird because my 2016 Challenger had a great U system and I had no problems . It would seem that these systems would get better in 2 model years, not way worse . Come on FCA..... don't make me return to GM for my future vehicles .

Mike M. Michigan
Jeepingissue is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome