3Likes
  • 1 Post By Durmant
  • 1 Post By 17JeepCompass
  • 1 Post By zoner99

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2017, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Oil Change Interval

Hello everyone,

I noticed the oil changes on the Compass say it's duty cycle. How many miles are you guys getting before an oil change is due? I don't see a way to tell a percentage before a change.

Once the indicator goes off - how does it remind you or tell you?

:: 2017 Jeep Compass High Altitude ::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM

I have the same question. The manual says that it could be as short as 2500 miles but never longer than 10000. My previous cars showed a percentage of oil life remaining. Now im just waiting to get a surprise instead of being able to plan for it.
17JeepCompass likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I live in Arizona. It's hot and dusty. I don't drive like a bat out of hell, but I'm hoping for at least 5k

I'll guess I'll have to get some oil and oil filter and have it on hand so when that time comes, I can just do it.. I guess going to the parts store isn't a hassle for me.. it's just down the street....

But yeah I am with you, I plan on things like that. I've always had my fuel filters, air filters, oil and oil filter at home ready to go. Like my own little parts store.
haha
Grace likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17JeepCompass View Post
I live in Arizona. It's hot and dusty. I don't drive like a bat out of hell, but I'm hoping for at least 5k

I'll guess I'll have to get some oil and oil filter and have it on hand so when that time comes, I can just do it.. I guess going to the parts store isn't a hassle for me.. it's just down the street....

But yeah I am with you, I plan on things like that. I've always had my fuel filters, air filters, oil and oil filter at home ready to go. Like my own little parts store.
haha
Whats funny is I know some people who still order from Amazon although the store isn't that far away and its smart especially when you consider all the time it takes to go to the store and come back. Should take like what... 5 minutes to search and place an order?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-30-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I do find myself ordering stuff from Amazon more and more due to the price.

Heck, I had something delivered once on a 2 hour delivery window on something i couldn't get local and was faster than overnight.

My problem is, I order something, I want it ASAP! I'm waiting outside for the UPS/FEDEX trucks! haha

post #6 of 10 Old 08-01-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17JeepCompass View Post
Hello everyone,

I noticed the oil changes on the Compass say it's duty cycle. How many miles are you guys getting before an oil change is due? I don't see a way to tell a percentage before a change.

Once the indicator goes off - how does it remind you or tell you?
It's another poor design IMO. Another problem is, if you change the oil before the indicator tells you, you can't tell for sure that you reset it or not. So you can get a oil change needed alert come up after you've done an oil change.

Anyways, once it reaches the oil change needed point it will display 'CHAnGE OIL' on the odometer area of the display and will chime every time you start the vehicle.

The time and distance to the oil change needed point varies, a lot, depending on conditions and how the vehicle is operated.

BTW, the max mileage allowed between oil changes was less in older models, and also the display can be slightly different depending on model and year. (My friend's 2010 Patriot shows 'CHAngE OIL' while my 2014 Compass shows 'CHANgE OIL'). Her max distance is 6,000 miles but mine is 10,000.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-01-2017, 06:41 PM

Although complex I guess its better that we have this system than a traditional once since over the long term it will mean we have a better engine, less chance of burning oil or doing anything funny.

Must be some way to reset the light. I bet if you ask someone working in the Service Department at your local dealership they might be able to tell you.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-02-2017, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Although complex I guess its better that we have this system than a traditional once since over the long term it will mean we have a better engine, less chance of burning oil or doing anything funny.

Must be some way to reset the light. I bet if you ask someone working in the Service Department at your local dealership they might be able to tell you.
Well. Don't know where you are from but the last place I would ask would be at the local dealership. Their answer would be something like, what did you do to the vehicle to make the light come on (the overriding principle seems to be that the customer is always wrong or at fault somehow), and they would want $299 to 'diagnose' it. Asking any sort of innocent question means you become a mark and the only remaining question is how much $$$ they can get out of you.

Anyways.

It is very easy to reset. Turn the ignition on but don't start the motor, then fully depress the gas pedal 3 times within 10 seconds. Turn the ignition off. Done.
Joel likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner99 View Post
Well. Don't know where you are from but the last place I would ask would be at the local dealership. Their answer would be something like, what did you do to the vehicle to make the light come on (the overriding principle seems to be that the customer is always wrong or at fault somehow), and they would want $299 to 'diagnose' it. Asking any sort of innocent question means you become a mark and the only remaining question is how much $$$ they can get out of you.

Anyways.

It is very easy to reset. Turn the ignition on but don't start the motor, then fully depress the gas pedal 3 times within 10 seconds. Turn the ignition off. Done.
Great advice, going with that information it is probably best to just as independent tech's first since we're always at the car makers mercy. I guess that's what you have experienced before at a Jeep dealer?
post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Great advice, going with that information it is probably best to just as independent tech's first since we're always at the car makers mercy. I guess that's what you have experienced before at a Jeep dealer?
"Jeep dealer" doesn't mean much as it is a brand owned by Fiat Chrysler America (FCA). FCA is much like any big corporation but has some specific problems such as poor leadership (Sergio is a goof). Dealers are sorta independent franchisees and can vary a lot.
In my area the dealers seem focused on the 'customer experience' and presenting themselves as upscale. The closest one built an entirely new building, including putting a 1943 Willys Jeep under the main showroom floor. It is sort of in a tomb/display with glass floor so you can look down at it. Personally I find that disturbing and weird ie, 'we have come to bury the Jeep, not to praise it'. They have multiple drive in service lanes, with green or red lights above each lane; and when you drive in a young lady will greet you and 'guide' you to the service desk. There is an old guy who sits in the corner who toddles out to put down the paper mats inside your car, and the young lady takes down your mileage, cause you can't be expected to remember that or to take a pic yourself.
The 'service advisors' are fashionable and attractive people. They appear to have little or no automotive knowledge and become flustered and defensive if anything requires thought. Standard work is fine, you want an oil change they know what to do. Beyond that look out. I had a vehicle front signal light light that stopped working, I tried changing the bulb but it was dead, it was under warranty so I took it in. First they said I must have put in the wrong bulb. They called the service manager to ask what bulb it should be, he stated a different number than what I had used. I said I went by the owner's manual, and the manual is right there in the glovebox if they want to check. (whole thing being bizarre, couldn't they just look up to the bulb type themselves, geezze). Anyways they agreed to 'look at it'. Then they had the vehicle for most of the day, phoned me about it, twice, offering to do a wiring repair for an amount of money - I said no, it is under warranty you should just replace as required. Which they eventually did.
I only go there for warranty work or for oil changes while under warranty. But even the oil changes are a big hassle. They rarely get the oil level correct, it is usually way too high. If the oil level is correct the oil looks dirty, so I expect it wasn't changed at all. And they keep trying to add in more fees to the oil change. For example they charged $3.50 for windshield washer fluid. I said I always keep mine topped up. SO they started putting a full jug of windshield washer fluid in the passenger seat footwell every every time and charging me the $3.50. I don't even want the fluid, I use Rain X not that cheap crap (it wasn't even MOPAR brand). Anyways so i discussed this with the service manager and he said I would have to tell the service advisors each time. So each time I have to say 'no washer fluid' and they go 'OH! you're the guy who DOESN'T want the washer fluid' every freaking time. Whole thing seems weird and unnecessary to me. I've bought many new and used cars from them, starting in the 1980's, but they have to **** me for $3.50 on every oil change. Bizarre and stupid.

I could go on like this for a while, but to me the defining characteristics are money being wasted, customer never talks to or even sees a mechanic, customer is always wrong, and service randomly varies between criminally inept and acceptable.

My vote is GET RID OF THE DEALERSHIPS!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in