Is visibility really that bad? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 07-14-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Is visibility really that bad?

Looking through reviews of the 2017 compass I can't help but notice how much poor visibility is mentioned all thanks to the rear C-Pillar. Since we have real owners on here that are driving these days in and day out, how do you guys find it to be? It might help to mention your height as that can help others here to better relate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-15-2017, 03:17 AM

I've come from a 2014 Ram 2500, the ONLY visibility issues I've had is I normally TOWER over cars. So if a car is going slow, I can see there are no cars in front of them for miles, I can get around. Now, I can't really see around people. But that is what everyone deals with in a car.. so...

As for the C pillars, the car is very good. I can glance around and there are no problems.. at least for me..

Really fun to drive and I like mine more each day.

:: 2017 Jeep Compass High Altitude ::
post #3 of 14 Old 07-15-2017, 05:05 PM

I think the visibility is good. JMHO. I take reviews with a grain of salt, their opinion is no more valid than anyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Better than my grand cherokee when backing out. Not that it's easier to see, it's 2 feet shorter in length so you just don't stick out as far when you can finally can see past the parked sitting next to you. Have had 3 tall pick up trucks and every one I "lost" cars that were next to the bed of the truck, got honked at a few times, oops, lol. You want poor visibility? Convertible Camaro. A-pillar is always at the apex, can't see traffic lights because the roofline is so far forward, and B pillar is huge, can't see anything unless it's directly behind you. No, Compass isn't the worst I've owned (nor best), but for basically a short bus, it's better than many I've owned.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 AM

Well I am coming from a Chevy Cruze. I havent had any visibility issues. but it maybe be because I have been overly cautious when switching lanes.

2017.5 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
Diamond Black
Cold Weather Group
Navigation Group
Popular Equipment Group
Power Liftgate
Beats Audio
post #6 of 14 Old 09-01-2017, 07:10 PM

Garage
I've been driving my Compass for a couple months now. Mostly city driving in traffic. I find it very easy to get around in and really don't notice any substantial reduced visibility compared to other vehicles I've driven. I tend to believe that the writers doing the reviews are hung up on the size of the rear "windows". Also, I'm 6'2" and sit pretty far back (long legs).
post #7 of 14 Old 09-02-2017, 08:39 PM

I have had a 2018 for 2 weeks now. I have had no issues with visibility. The 8" screen back up camera is amazing.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 AM

2018 Compass owner here and no visibility issues.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-22-2017, 04:51 PM

I guess it is relative to what you are used to. Compared to the Honda HR-V I traded in for it, no, it is not bad. Compared to my wife's '15 Grand Cherokee, ehhh its ok. Compared to my parents' '17 Subaru Forester, yes visibility is bad - but its way cooler looking than their Forester so it all works out. So far I haven't had any issues with it though. The HR-V I had a horrible time with rear angles. Actually, only thing I've noticed that I'm still getting used to with the Compass visibility-wise is having a good feel for where the front corners are - I feel like I'm either 2' farther away from the curb than I think I am or I'm hitting it.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 PM

I removed the center headrest for the back seat passenger(I rarely have anyone in the back seat and if I do, there are still the left and right headrests) and found that it helps with visibility. I suppose you can remove all three headrests and really increase the view of back window but if you have passengers back there it might pose a safety risk.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-23-2017, 02:28 AM

No issues here. Coming from a 2015 Cherokee, before that a 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6spd.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-23-2017, 04:12 AM

Garage
Visibility is fine. Actually, i think its better in my 2017 than it was in my 2014.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-24-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

How tall/short you are is obviously another factor and at 5'11 I have almost no issue with any car I get into, in this industry that seems to be the most ideal height. Same goes for motorcycles. Probably why all those professional motogp guys are around that height.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-24-2017, 02:45 PM

I have zero rear visibility problems driving our new Compass. The back up camera really helps compensate for its smaller rear window. Plus the large side mirrors, and the blind spot monitoring help with drivers hiding at the rear quarters. I do agree with NC19 above. The front corners took some getting used to, when people park way to close to my front bumper.

2017 Compass Limited Sunroof, Nav, Tow group, Safety and Security and Advanced lighting group.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in