Auto Start/Stop disable - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By DarrenDriven
  • 1 Post By Sofa88

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Auto Start/Stop disable

If you hate this feature, please reach out to the owner of this company/website and let him know. More info here...Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-13-2017, 11:21 PM

Garage
I know how to build a DIY override for this feature. I created one for my Scion FR-S to override the traction control system. Pretty much the same method. Probably under $40 and a few minutes.

I'm thinking of building it again for our Compass, but I have been procrastinating. Shout if you are interested and I will get on it.

Google "frs traction override darrendriven" if you want more info.
drdirt200 and Mudman1 like this.

2017 Jeep Compass Latitude AWD in Granite Metallic
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-2017, 01:54 AM

FCA put the sticker on my driver's window saying it was there...but since I opted for the 6spd manual I don't have to deal with it. My 15 Cherokee Trailhawk had a dash button to turn it off and every time I started it, I did.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 PM

It's such a pain in the butt and there's no way to permanently turn it off without something aftermarket and I'm steer away from messing with the electronics.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2017, 06:43 PM

My only half-gripe with it is no ability to have it "off by default" when starting the thing up. I find most of the time I would rather have it stay running because it can be too eager to shut down right as I'm about to take off again creating an awkward off-and-instant-back-on that I feel makes me look odd to other people at the intersection. I am now in the habit of turning it off as soon as I start the car and its not very good placement for that button or its indicator light.

Like others I am anticipating someone will eventually put together a simple microcontroller with a plug-n-play harness that can toggle this feature off for us right away when we start the car, and then we can choose to re-enable it at some point during the drive if we want to. Shouldn't be a very difficult project, if nobody else gets around to it then I may give it a go at some point. I was kinda tempted to take apart the center console anyways to see about re-routing the rear USB into the armrest storage, could easily hijack off the power of that USB line to run a tiny chip that does the job.

I think the kicker might be whether or not it can be disabled before the engine is actually started... would have to test that, otherwise going to need to find some electrical indication of when the engine has actually started and THEN toggle the switch's circuit..
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Garage
Not a fan of this feature myself, neither is my wife who’s the primary driver. We’re in the habit of using the parking brake for every vehicle we own so we’ve started to become used to clicking the auto on/off assist off after hitting the parking brake button. At least it’s right next to the parking brake button so seeing it reminds us.
Mudman1 likes this.

Photographer: “you blinked”

Me: “No I didn’t blink...I’m just Asian”
post #7 of 8 Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM

By adding this feature, which I agree, is a horrible feature, car companies receive credits from the Government. GM and Ford also feature start/stop technology. Unfortunately, this feature is included on the all new Grand Cherokee replacement which is slated for 2021.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-07-2017, 03:06 PM

It's off on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee - either my battery is dying again or the sensors to the battery are bad is my guess - I get from time to time a message that the system is unavailable .. so GREAT no button to press to turn it off ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in