What Transaxle Do You Have? - Jeep Compass Forum
View Poll Results: What Transmission Do You Have?
9 Speed Auto 7 50.00%
6 Speed Auto 2 14.29%
6 Speed Manual 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Gillis
  • 1 Post By Jason Gillis
  • 2 Post By ua_who
  • 1 Post By ghiser30
  • 1 Post By Mudman1

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 10-14-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

What Transaxle Do You Have?

What Transaxle Do You Have?

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.

Last edited by Mudman1; 10-14-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-14-2017, 03:53 AM

Manual, I told myself I would never buy another Chrysler product after my 96 Dodge Intrepid went through 3 transmissions in 70,000 miles. When the 4th went out around 76,000 and Chrysler said I was on my own I promised them I would never buy another. 15 years later I broke down and bought a stick shift.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-14-2017, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Gillis View Post
Manual, I told myself I would never buy another Chrysler product after my 96 Dodge Intrepid went through 3 transmissions in 70,000 miles. When the 4th went out around 76,000 and Chrysler said I was on my own I promised them I would never buy another. 15 years later I broke down and bought a stick shift.
What trim and options did you get? At 2,800 miles I'm averaging 29.8 MPGs hand calculated. I did pull my two trailers just a few miles each to see how it did. Tomorrow I'll be doing more as I have to buy a chest freezer.

Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-14-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1 View Post
What trim and options did you get? At 2,800 miles I'm averaging 29.8 MPGs hand calculated. I did pull my two trailers just a few miles each to see how it did. Tomorrow I'll be doing more as I have to buy a chest freezer.
2018 Base Sport with cold weather group. Dealer couldn't locate anything else and my prior car got totaled when someone was nice enough to rear end me on I95 outside of DC.

I haven't towed yet, I need to put a hitch on it. And leather, I need some leather.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 AM

Garage
It's early, but 4 autos to 4 manuals!
post #6 of 10 Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 AM

4x4 limited..... so it's the 9 speed auto for me.
All city driving so far, about 1500miles, 24mpg average.

I know the hardware is the same as my Cherokee TH, but the programming is much improved.
The Cherokee had clunkiness and and unusual behavior, and even after several patches and updates, still is not the smoothest things on the planet.

The Compass so far seems flawless. (knock-on-wood).
ghiser30 and Mudman1 like this.

2017 Compass limited 4x4
post #7 of 10 Old 10-19-2017, 12:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua_who View Post
4x4 limited..... so it's the 9 speed auto for me.
All city driving so far, about 1500miles, 24mpg average.

I know the hardware is the same as my Cherokee TH, but the programming is much improved.
The Cherokee had clunkiness and and unusual behavior, and even after several patches and updates, still is not the smoothest things on the planet.

The Compass so far seems flawless. (knock-on-wood).
Knocking on wood with you! I'm closing in on 4000 trouble-free miles! One thing I'm always seeing with the 9 spd auto is a reluctance to downshift.... have you had any issues with that? (Just curious)
Mudman1 likes this.

2017 Compass Sport, 6 spd manual, sport appearance group, floor mats, cargo mat... Oh yeah, did I mention it's a 4X4?? (For all you signature block critics out there)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"May your anchor be tight, your cork be loose, your rum be spiced , and your COMPASS be true"
post #8 of 10 Old 10-19-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiser30 View Post
Knocking on wood with you! I'm closing in on 4000 trouble-free miles! One thing I'm always seeing with the 9 spd auto is a reluctance to downshift.... have you had any issues with that? (Just curious)
Some reluctance, but nothing unusual.
I drive a '16 GMC Canyon for work that does the same thing. It's constantly trying to stay in the higher gear to save fuel.

2017 Compass limited 4x4
post #9 of 10 Old 10-19-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiser30
One thing I'm always seeing with the 9 spd auto is a reluctance to downshift.... have you had any issues with that?
My experience has been sometimes the opposite, if I push my foot down hardly at all it usually drops a gear, or if you are using cruise control and you bump it up one MPH then it downshifts just to gain that one stupid MPH.

However, if you are talking about flooring it then yes, if I am at highway speed and I want to make a pass and I mash my foot down then it seems to ponder the universe for a full second or two and THEN it drops 3 or 4 gears and the engine winds up.

My guess is they have dulled the responsiveness a bit for best mundane daily driving experience, a lot of idiots (I mean, people..) can't keep their foot steady so they dull response to the pedal a bit to help smooth out bad drivers.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
My experience has been sometimes the opposite, if I push my foot down hardly at all it usually drops a gear, or if you are using cruise control and you bump it up one MPH then it downshifts just to gain that one stupid MPH.

However, if you are talking about flooring it then yes, if I am at highway speed and I want to make a pass and I mash my foot down then it seems to ponder the universe for a full second or two and THEN it drops 3 or 4 gears and the engine winds up.

My guess is they have dulled the responsiveness a bit for best mundane daily driving experience, a lot of idiots (I mean, people..) can't keep their foot steady so they dull response to the pedal a bit to help smooth out bad drivers.
If you do some research on the ZF Transaxle, you'll see it has clutch packs and dog clutches. Due to how the input and output speeds have to match to engage the dog clutches, it is a bit slower than say a DSG transaxle.
arudlang likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in