Poll: What's Your Hitch Status? - Jeep Compass Forum
View Poll Results: What's Your Hitch Status?
Wanted a factory hitch and got it factory installed. 11 35.48%
Wanted a factory hitch and added one. 4 12.90%
Did not want a hitch but mine came with one. 1 3.23%
I have no desire to tow, and don't have a hitch. 5 16.13%
The jury is still out...I'm still shopping. 10 32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 Old 10-15-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Poll: What's Your Hitch Status?

What's Your Hitch Status?

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 PM

Just installed the factory hitch this weekend. Wow, what a PITA. Hitch wasn't too bad; lower fascia took some work to get off and replaced with the original lower valance attached.
The factory wire harness was a pain to get routed up to the front. And inevitably a few fasteners were broke in the process.
Not sure how much the dealer would have wanted for this job, but in retrospect, I would have gladly forked over a few hundred to get this done.
ghiser30 and Mudman1 like this.
post #3 of 34 Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba View Post
Just installed the factory hitch this weekend. Wow, what a PITA. Hitch wasn't too bad; lower fascia took some work to get off and replaced with the original lower valance attached.
The factory wire harness was a pain to get routed up to the front. And inevitably a few fasteners were broke in the process.
Not sure how much the dealer would have wanted for this job, but in retrospect, I would have gladly forked over a few hundred to get this done.
I have not seen anything that suggests the gearing is different for a factory tow optioned vehicle versus one without the tow package. One feature I did notice today was the blind spot monitoring. When I hooked up the trailer, it turned off. As soon as I unhooked the trailer, it turned back on. That is pretty nice, so you are not getting false alerts due to the trailer.

Any pictures of your efforts?

Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 12:00 AM

Garage
Just being brutally honest here. The Compass is NOT a towing machine. Particularly here in the Mountain State. IMHO a hitch for a bicycle rack, might be ok, but I couldn't think of hauling any kind of trailer on these roads. Maybe on flatter terrain though.
Mudman1 and Redmaxx like this.
post #5 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiser30 View Post
Just being brutally honest here. The Compass is NOT a towing machine. Particularly here in the Mountain State. IMHO a hitch for a bicycle rack, might be ok, but I couldn't think of hauling any kind of trailer on these roads. Maybe on flatter terrain though.
It really depends on the weight and physical shape of the trailer or load. Where I live in Wisconsin, for as often as I tow in my current life situation, it does just fine. If I were not saving for a house, and insisted on a manual trans, I'd have bought a Colorado ZR2, or waited for a JL Rubicon. But...goals baby!
ghiser30 and katrinacop like this.

post #6 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1 View Post
It really depends on the weight and physical shape of the trailer or load. Where I live in Wisconsin, for as often as I tow in my current life situation, it does just fine. If I were not saving for a house, and insisted on a manual trans, I'd have bought a Colorado ZR2, or waited for a JL Rubicon. But...goals baby!
Weight definitely. I traded from a Tacoma with what seemed like tons of torque. To be fair, for a 4 banger, the Tigershark has good low end. And I LOVE the MPGs!!
Mudman1 likes this.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I wana install a factory hitch on my sport,do you have part numbers for the hitch & fascia
thanks.

Mike
2017 compass sport auto fwd
Bakersfield,Ca
post #8 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 AM

I have a little trailer that we tow on occasion. The trailer itself maxes out at 2000lbs.
Just perfect for the Compass.

Anything bigger, and I use the truck (7000lb rating)
Mudman1 likes this.

2017 Compass limited 4x4
post #9 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Weight definitely. I traded from a Tacoma with what seemed like tons of torque. To be fair, for a 4 banger, the Tigershark has good low end. And I LOVE the MPGs!!
Public Service Announcement: Signature block needs some data brother!
ghiser30 likes this.

post #10 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiser30
I disagree politely but strongly enough to finally quit lurking and register on the forum so I can post =D

I have pulled my brother's 2000 lb boat with all our lake gear, coolers, etc and 5 people in the cabin and it was no problem at all. Granted its pretty flat here in MN but the angle at the lake access is pretty steep and there was still no issue there pulling the boat up out of the water at the end of the day. Gas mileage was even pretty decent, managing around 22 MPG on flat ground with that load.

A couple weeks ago we moved the mother-in-law into a new apartment and she could no longer use her washer, dryer, and upright freezer so all three of those were loaded onto my utility trailer and pulled 2 hours home no problem.

I have also pulled an ATV, a lawn mower, a trailer load of mild scrap metal. I've been pulling my little utility trailer so much I don't even bother taking the hitch out anymore.

All this with a 2017 Limited model, having the exclusive (and least tow-friendly) final drive ratio of 3.73

Certainly, I won't be hooking on and pulling any 6000 lb travel trailers anytime ever with the little compass but for the light-to-medium duty towing I've been doing it has been a great little puller.
ghiser30, Mudman1 and katrinacop like this.
post #11 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
I disagree politely but strongly enough to finally quit lurking and register on the forum so I can post =D

I have pulled my brother's 2000 lb boat with all our lake gear, coolers, etc and 5 people in the cabin and it was no problem at all. Granted its pretty flat here in MN but the angle at the lake access is pretty steep and there was still no issue there pulling the boat up out of the water at the end of the day. Gas mileage was even pretty decent, managing around 22 MPG on flat ground with that load.

A couple weeks ago we moved the mother-in-law into a new apartment and she could no longer use her washer, dryer, and upright freezer so all three of those were loaded onto my utility trailer and pulled 2 hours home no problem.

I have also pulled an ATV, a lawn mower, a trailer load of mild scrap metal. I've been pulling my little utility trailer so much I don't even bother taking the hitch out anymore.

All this with a 2017 Limited model, having the exclusive (and least tow-friendly) final drive ratio of 3.73

Certainly, I won't be hooking on and pulling any 6000 lb travel trailers anytime ever with the little compass but for the light-to-medium duty towing I've been doing it has been a great little puller.
Glad I could "lure" you out of the shadows!!
Mudman1 likes this.
post #12 of 34 Old 10-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
I know, I know... I keep seeing "Add a Custom Signature" when I sign in, and I keep putting it off.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #13 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Ok, I got a signature now! This is 1st post with it.
Mudman1 likes this.

2017 Compass Sport, 6 spd manual, sport appearance group, floor mats, cargo mat... Oh yeah, did I mention it's a 4X4?? (For all you signature block critics out there)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"May your anchor be tight, your cork be loose, your rum be spiced , and your COMPASS be true"
post #14 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, I got a signature now! This is 1st post with it.
Is it a 4x4? You said it was....incomplete homework. Redo!
ghiser30 likes this.

post #15 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Is it a 4x4? You said it was....incomplete homework. Redo!
Redone! Thanks for keeping me honest!
Mudman1 and ua_who like this.

2017 Compass Sport, 6 spd manual, sport appearance group, floor mats, cargo mat... Oh yeah, did I mention it's a 4X4?? (For all you signature block critics out there)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"May your anchor be tight, your cork be loose, your rum be spiced , and your COMPASS be true"
post #16 of 34 Old 10-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Garage
Mine came with a factory hitch installed on my little 2017 trailhawk. I wanted to be able to do some light duty towing because I have a goal on getting some track time with my motorcycle so being able to tow a small moto on a little trailer would be nice. Definitely wouldn’t be anywhere near the max tow capacity of 2k lbs so this little compass shouldn’t have any trouble with it
Mudman1 likes this.

Photographer: “you blinked”

Me: “No I didn’t blink...I’m just Asian”
post #17 of 34 Old 10-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Garage
I mainly got the tow package for the spare tire. Probably will only use it for a hitch mount bike rack or gear rack. In the past I have not had good luck with SUV's when I tow at the rated limits. But the hitch is nice to have just in case.... )especially since the wife said she doesn't want to find any deer fur in the back of her new ride this time)
ghiser30 and Mudman1 like this.

2018 Compass Latitude 4x4 6sp - Pref group, Cold Weather, Tow pkg

post #18 of 34 Old 10-19-2017, 07:12 PM

What confuses me about the towing figures is that the manual basically says 2000 pounds for ALL 9-speed automatic versions (and no figure given/towing not recommended for all other transmissions)

Okay and the manual also tells us this 2000 lb figure comes from them testing the jeep's ability to START the load on a 12 percent grade hill from a stop.

Alright, so what does that tell us? Perhaps that brakes are probably not the limiting factor in how much weight we can really tow, having the power to get the load rolling is apparently the bottleneck. So then how much could we tow on flat ground like I have in Minnesota here? Maybe 3000 pounds is not out of the question? Not that any lawyer would back that up I'm just saying for academics sake, if there are no hills even 6 percent grade anywhere around me and the four-wheel disk brakes are up to the job of stopping a larger load then, why not?

But anyways the real monkeywrench that makes me question their 2000 limit is was that 12 percent grade hill start test done with a trailhawk or a different trim? This matters because they don't specify in the manual; they don't make a distinction between the trailhawk with the 9 speed vs the others but they should, because we know the trailhawk's 9-speed programming is to start in 2nd gear always. 1st gear is only used in the rock mode, to create the fake "low range" effect.

Anyone starting to see the issue?

What I'm saying is, if the 2000 pound limit from the hill start test comes from testing on a trailhawk model, does that not indicate the 2000 lb limit is based on the ability to start that load in 2nd gear? If so, how much (more) load could the other 9-speed trim levels start on that same hill from 1st gear??

Or it could be the other way around, but either way, it would seem to me that at least one trim-level or more is mis-rated on its towing capacity. Either the 9-speed latitudes and limiteds are properly rated and the trailhawk is overrated, or, the trailhawk is properly rated and the other 9-speeds are underrated (and could theoretically tow more).

Another possibility is that the trailhawks magically know when they have to dig down to first gear to start a trailer out of "low range" mode, but this seems unlikely to me.

I did the math, a trailhawk compass pulling away from a stop in 2nd gear is starting with about a 12:1 ratio, while my limited starting in first gear would be pulling away on roughly a 17:1 ratio.

So the big question is, will the trailhawk drop into 1st gear outside of rock mode when necessary? If so, it has the best trailer-starting ratio (20:1) but if not, it has the worst starting ratio (12:1).

Just food for thought, obviously we should not exceed the stated limits from the manual no matter what but thought it was interesting enough to share.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-21-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari mike View Post
I wana install a factory hitch on my sport,do you have part numbers for the hitch & fascia
thanks.
bump

Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
post #20 of 34 Old 10-21-2017, 06:33 PM

Hitch Receiver Kit- 2.0", fits Sport/Latitude/Limited
2nd Quarter
$ 123.00
$ 175.00
Hitch Receiver Kit- 2.0", fits Trailhawk
2nd Quarter
$ 123.00
$ 175.00

-This kit requires replacement of lower fascia ( bumper) designed for use with a hitch receiver. For Sport and Latitude editions Compass order 68352635AA. For Limited edition Compass order 68352692AA. Trailhawk item# 68352700aa sold separately
Mudman1 likes this.
post #21 of 34 Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Gillis View Post
2nd Quarter
$ 123.00
$ 175.00
2nd Quarter
$ 123.00
$ 175.00

-This kit requires replacement of lower fascia ( bumper) designed for use with a hitch receiver. For Sport and Latitude editions Compass order 68352635AA. For Limited edition Compass order 68352692AA. Trailhawk item# 68352700aa sold separately
Thank you so much that is the infor I needed

Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
post #22 of 34 Old 10-22-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
2nd Quarter
$ 123.00
$ 175.00
2nd Quarter
$ 123.00
$ 175.00

thank you Jason,my fascia has two sensors in it will the 68352635aa still work ?

Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
post #23 of 34 Old 10-22-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari mike View Post
thank you Jason,my fascia has two sensors in it will the 68352635aa still work ?
I have no idea what the difference is in the fascia's I just looked up the part numbers. Mopar doesn't list any other then those numbers. I would expect if you have the Sport then using the Sport part numbers will work.
post #24 of 34 Old 10-22-2017, 12:53 AM

Are the sensors in the upper or lower fasica? Only the black part (lower) gets replaced. If the sensors are on the car-color part of the bumper, you will be ok
post #25 of 34 Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what the difference is in the fascia's I just looked up the part numbers. Mopar doesn't list any other then those numbers. I would expect if you have the Sport then using the Sport part numbers will work.
thank you

Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
post #26 of 34 Old 10-22-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Are the sensors in the upper or lower fasica? Only the black part (lower) gets replaced. If the sensors are on the car-color part of the bumper, you will be ok
i have two in the painted part & two in the lower black part.
thank you

Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
post #27 of 34 Old 02-18-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
2nd Quarter
$ 123.00
$ 175.00
2nd Quarter
$ 123.00
$ 175.00

Stupid newbie question, I have a 2018 Compass Limited, does this mean I need to purchase a new lower fascia if I want to add a receiver?
Mudman1 likes this.
post #28 of 34 Old 02-18-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
Stupid newbie question, I have a 2018 Compass Limited, does this mean I need to purchase a new lower fascia if I want to add a receiver?
If you want it in the factory location, and not an aftermarket below the bumper version, I believe the answer is yes.

post #29 of 34 Old 02-18-2018, 06:09 PM

Thank you. Tried to look up that part number on the MOPAR site but couldn't find it. Not sure if it is an iPad issue or just a poor site. Found it on others site, about $100 (plus a $100 core charge?).

Last edited by Redmaxx; 02-18-2018 at 06:48 PM.
post #30 of 34 Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
Thank you. Tried to look up that part number on the MOPAR site but couldn't find it. Not sure if it is an iPad issue or just a poor site. Found it on others site, about $100 (plus a $100 core charge?).

Yep thats about right. Thats a part I would order from a dealer so you don't have to ship the old one back to get a refund on the core. My dealer charged me $74 for a sport.
Mudman1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in