• 1 Post By cygnusjen
  • 1 Post By Mudman1
  • 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By nobrakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Molded carpet tray worth it?

Hi everyone,

A couple weeks back I put in an order for an '18 Compass Trailhawk (can't wait), more or less fully loaded minus the Navigation group. I also got the dealer to price match a number of MOPAR accessories to what sites like MOPARonlineparts.com are touting, such as the rock rails and a cross rack for the roof.

My question is, is the "molded" cargo tray worth it compared to the reversible mat the Trailhawk comes with? --moparonlineparts.com/jeep-compass-cargo-tray-p-7701.html

The molded mat I got for my old Honda had a raised lip all around so spills were always contained and the carpet lining never got stained. Looks like neither the stock Trailhawk cargo mat or the MOPAR molded mat really do this, so… is it really a $75 improvement over the stock mat?

(I'm realizing there are side pockets in the Compass trunk - maybe they're meant to be kept uncovered? Now that I think about it, my old Honda had them too but they were always hidden with trap doors in the trunk carpet lining.)

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 PM

I have Beats, so only one cargo area pocket. I used Weathertech cargo liners in previous vehicles, and they are good, but stuff slides around and the lips are short and soft. Any gear can bend it, making it useless. This time around, I'm only running front and rear floor Weathertech mats as the Jeep ones did not cover enough area. I'm sticking with the factory rubber/carpet mat. The carpet on carpet grabs nicely and does not slide around. Rubber up is grippy and my groceries and gear do not easily slide around on it. Mopar vent shades are okay, though the way they are molded makes the window a little less open all around compared to Weathertech vent shades (not sure if they make them yet). Overall, I'm happy.

FYI, if you weren't going to take yours in the dirt, I'd suggest the factory mud flaps. Pricey, but their shape does actually keep crap off the sides of the vehicle. Since mine is only seeing dirt roads and farm paths, it was a wise install for me.

Congrats on the new ride.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-01-2017, 05:12 PM

I am perfectly happy with the reversible mat, I did spring for the mopar all weather floor mats but the rear mat... meh. As you said it doesn't have enough raised edge all around to really contain much of a spill, I don't like now it seems to block the handle for getting at the spare tire area because I am in there frequently (thats where I keep my balls... erm, my convert-a-balls for the hitch... have to switch between 2 inch and 1 7/8 a lot...)

I also fold down me seats a LOT and the one area where they did put a big raised edge is right at the back of the seats, so if I fold them down to put a gun case in isn't it going to fold over that raised edge? No based on the pictures it doesn't look like they thought that through. I'll stick with the reversible mat. The all weather floor mats up front are awesome though!
Mudman1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1 View Post
FYI, if you weren't going to take yours in the dirt, I'd suggest the factory mud flaps. Pricey, but their shape does actually keep crap off the sides of the vehicle. Since mine is only seeing dirt roads and farm paths, it was a wise install for me.
Mudflaps? So, will those help keep some of the dirt of the sides of my beautiful olive green Jeep which looks like a giant dust bunny took a dump on it? It's a straight up mess. My husband's Spitfire Orange Trailhawk has yet to get a bath and it looks great
Mudman1 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-02-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
I am perfectly happy with the reversible mat, I did spring for the mopar all weather floor mats but the rear mat... meh. As you said it doesn't have enough raised edge all around to really contain much of a spill, I don't like now it seems to block the handle for getting at the spare tire area because I am in there frequently (thats where I keep my balls... erm, my convert-a-balls for the hitch... have to switch between 2 inch and 1 7/8 a lot...)

I also fold down me seats a LOT and the one area where they did put a big raised edge is right at the back of the seats, so if I fold them down to put a gun case in isn't it going to fold over that raised edge? No based on the pictures it doesn't look like they thought that through. I'll stick with the reversible mat. The all weather floor mats up front are awesome though!
Any pictures of those Mopar mats? I could not find any good images of them in place.

Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

post #6 of 15 Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusjen View Post
Mudflaps? So, will those help keep some of the dirt of the sides of my beautiful olive green Jeep which looks like a giant dust bunny took a dump on it? It's a straight up mess. My husband's Spitfire Orange Trailhawk has yet to get a bath and it looks great
My KL Trailhawk was Eco Green, and trust me on the drive up to Alaska it got FILTHY. Even on northern MN dirt roads. But I used it heavy in the dirt, so I did not put flaps of any sort on it. The Latitude Compass is an asphalt queen, so she got flaps. Yes, they do work well. They attach with 3 anchor points and 3M tape, so they are study. No issues in 3,000 miles. And dirt is kept to a very small amount. We'll see how they do in the winter.

post #7 of 15 Old 11-02-2017, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

It's a tough call - I'm getting the dealer to price match all these accessories (and without paying s/h either) but it's basically a one-time deal. On the Mopar molded tray it looks like the back flaps *might* fold down (at least the middle ones) and it probably does help a little with spills and movement. I got the Beats package as well* so that's one less pocket to care about (now that Mudman mentions it, I see this in one of the linked item pics.)

Mudflaps -- interesting suggestion. I see myself on pavement mostly but definitely plan to use the Trailhawk for what it's made for… and the mudflaps just might get in the way. Will definitely take it into consideration though - besides the aforementioned rock rails and roof rack, I also asked for the sill guards and the Thule kayak kit and still have to time to add other stuff.

*O/T, but Mudman, what's your impression of the Beats system? Generally I'd go aftermarket if I wanted good sound, and Beats is definitely a style-over-substance sort of brand, but a) changing the head unit seemed like it meant losing a number of system options, b) the price really wasn't bad, c) frankly cars aren't ideal audiophile environments anyway, and d) even Crutchfield seemed to think the system was decent (reviewing the Renegade Beats package, but presumably very similar.) For these reasons I ended up putting the Beats in my order, but I never got to test it and wondered what other owners think.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-02-2017, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Any pictures of those Mopar mats? I could not find any good images of them in place.
You mean the molded one I'm referring to, right? I'm a newbie so links aren't allowed yet, but if you copy and paste the URL after the dashes, you can see what the molded tray looks like:

--moparonlineparts.com/jeep-compass-cargo-tray-p-7701.html
Mudman1 likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-02-2017, 02:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
*O/T, but Mudman, what's your impression of the Beats system? Generally I'd go aftermarket if I wanted good sound, and Beats is definitely a style-over-substance sort of brand, but a) changing the head unit seemed like it meant losing a number of system options, b) the price really wasn't bad, c) frankly cars aren't ideal audiophile environments anyway, and d) even Crutchfield seemed to think the system was decent (reviewing the Renegade Beats package, but presumably very similar.) For these reasons I ended up putting the Beats in my order, but I never got to test it and wondered what other owners think.
We bought our Trailhawk off the lot with Beats, and I love it. I have never had a decent car stereo before, yet always played music loudly with my previous crappy factory systems - the Beats sounds fantastic... I would not have ordered my Latitude without Beats - in fact, I probably would have stayed in my Honda Accord!
Mudman1 likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-02-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
It's a tough call - I'm getting the dealer to price match all these accessories (and without paying s/h either) but it's basically a one-time deal. On the Mopar molded tray it looks like the back flaps *might* fold down (at least the middle ones) and it probably does help a little with spills and movement. I got the Beats package as well* so that's one less pocket to care about (now that Mudman mentions it, I see this in one of the linked item pics.)

Mudflaps -- interesting suggestion. I see myself on pavement mostly but definitely plan to use the Trailhawk for what it's made for… and the mudflaps just might get in the way. Will definitely take it into consideration though - besides the aforementioned rock rails and roof rack, I also asked for the sill guards and the Thule kayak kit and still have to time to add other stuff.

Okay, how do I answer this without hurting snowflakes... My 2012 Ram Cummins 2500 and Cherokee Trailhawk both had the factory Nav unit and Alpine audio system. Both are higher quality vehicles. After more than 50,000 miles on both, zero rattles or issues with such things. In the MP Latitude I have now, that is not the case. I have to keep my bass down to +1, or all of the doors rattle. With treble at 6+, mid at 2+ and bass at 1+, music sounds good. I listen to talk radio, news radio, Octane, Lithium, Rock Bar, etc with occasional Country. I don't like bass that makes my ears hurt, but good sound is important. I think the Beats is worth the $700, no doubt. However, the rest of the vehicle was not built to keep the audio system the focus. Does that make sense? For example, I've had 3 dash and 1 front passenger door rattles that I've fixed on my own, without music being the cause. It was just poor fit and finish. In summary, the Beats is worth the cost, it does sound clear and sounds good, but it cannot perform to its full potential because the Compass is not built like an Audi, or even other FCA vehicles...it is built like an economy vehicle. Such as, no sunglasses holder, no change holder, no place for a phone, and only one 12V port in the passenger area. That said, I like my Compass because I can row my gears, tow little trailers, pull 30+ on the highway, and (I'll find out Friday for sure) navigate snow without crapping myself. It is just the girlfriend and I plus two small dogs. And, we want to buy a house.
nobrakes likes this.

post #11 of 15 Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1
Check out this listing on amazon, this is where I ordered them from (seemed to be the best deal) and also I and another reviewer attached some pics to our reviews:

Jeep Compass Slush Style All Weather Floor Mats MY Body Style Mopar OEM
Mudman1 likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-02-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Mudman, that makes sense. Good sound's a creature comfort but it's not exactly what I got a Jeep for xD

One of the professional reviewers mentioned their Beats EQ was set to bass +9. I get that Beats was designed with hip-hop in mind, but that seems a bit excessive… like a cheap trick to impress potential buyers. I like my low end as much as the next guy but I'm more about clarity than mad bass. I prefer my levels more or less flat anyway so it's good that tweaking the EQ helps clear up rattle. My '09 Mitsu Eclipse tends to rattle a lot with the stock subwoofer, even tuned way down. Drives me nuts.

Glad to hear folks like the Beats though. I wonder if the Trailhawk trim is any improvement in terms of sound dampening/fit (for off-road conditions) that might help with the audio system… eh, probably not, lol.

Quote:
For example, I've had 3 dash and 1 front passenger door rattles that I've fixed on my own, without music being the cause.
What did you do to fix the rattling?
Mudman1 likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-03-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Check out this listing on amazon, this is where I ordered them from (seemed to be the best deal) and also I and another reviewer attached some pics to our reviews:

Jeep Compass Slush Style All Weather Floor Mats MY Body Style Mopar OEM
I like them, but the driver's side is missing some coverage around the accelerator pedal. Otherwise, they look good.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-03-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Mudman, that makes sense. Good sound's a creature comfort but it's not exactly what I got a Jeep for xD

One of the professional reviewers mentioned their Beats EQ was set to bass +9. I get that Beats was designed with hip-hop in mind, but that seems a bit excessive… like a cheap trick to impress potential buyers. I like my low end as much as the next guy but I'm more about clarity than mad bass. I prefer my levels more or less flat anyway so it's good that tweaking the EQ helps clear up rattle. My '09 Mitsu Eclipse tends to rattle a lot with the stock subwoofer, even tuned way down. Drives me nuts.

Glad to hear folks like the Beats though. I wonder if the Trailhawk trim is any improvement in terms of sound dampening/fit (for off-road conditions) that might help with the audio system… eh, probably not, lol.

What did you do to fix the rattling?
For the dash rattles, it turned out to be the defrost duct on the dash. There is a gap, and it would rattle over bumps. I was ready to take it back. I took two pieces of soft side Velcro and folded them in half. Then wedged them between the duct and dash on either side of the photo sensor for the lights. That fixed 98% of the rattling up there. For the door, I honestly just beat on it. There must have been a clip loose or something.

post #15 of 15 Old 11-04-2017, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks - this is good to know since I'll very likely be enjoying the same "Easter eggs" soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in