• 1 Post By joninpa
  • 1 Post By joninpa
  • 1 Post By jdmich3
  • 1 Post By joninpa
  • 1 Post By BigBlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Better MPGs in 5th?

With over 4,000 on the clock I've had a chance to try things out. I'm finding that on rolling hills or headwinds, 5th gets better MPGs than 6th in the 60-70 MPH range. I've also learned passing needs 3rd. The possibility to loose grip without beating the clutch up is very minimal on rainy or dry roads. Lastly, Reverse could be a little lower as I find I have to slip the clutch more than I like.
cygnusjen likes this.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-14-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Any other manual owners out there have any similar experiences?

Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

post #3 of 15 Old 11-15-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1 View Post
Any other manual owners out there have any similar experiences?

If my car wasn't in the shop more then on the road I would be able to test this theory.
Mudman1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-15-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Gillis View Post
If my car wasn't in the shop more then on the road I would be able to test this theory.
What is wrong with your MP? I'm fortunate to not have any lingering issues. My steering wheel had a cut in it upon delivery...dealer would not fix so I slapped a cover on it. Wheels felt weird so I had them rotated and roadforce balanced. Rattles I fixed. I added some stuff like skid plates, better fog lights, new high beam bulbs and such. Two 1,200 plus mile road trips and zero issues. New all weather tires going on Saturday. My only lingering issue is finding out if the Mopar pedal kit will help add grip as my boots don't like the clutch pedal with rain or snow on them.

post #5 of 15 Old 11-15-2017, 03:05 PM

I'm having the dimmer issue. And I drive mostly at night 600 miles at a time. It's like staring at a 60 watt light bulb while driving down the street.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-15-2017, 06:18 PM

I can't add much since I have the 9 speed auto but I am not surprised that it would do slightly better in 5th, they have really emphasized the high-speed highway mileage with their gearing choices. Going 80+ MPH across Montana your 6th gear will be perfect probably. If you don't get out on roads going that fast that often its OK if you hardly never use 6th gear but there are a lot of people on freeways and interstates every day going 80+ in their commute, more now than ever, so they have given them a gear for it (same with the 9th gear on our automatic).
Mudman1 likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 AM

Garage
I only have a 5 speed, but the main thing to take in consideration is the gear ratio you have in your transmission. For instance, I have a better rpm drop going from 2nd to 3rd than going from 3rd to 4th.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 PM

You are correct 5th gear does get better MPG unless you are driving 75-+ in 6th. Got a ticket trying this out. MPG screen provides all the data you need. Any hills or wind drastically effects the mpg's. The only complaint I have is how slippery the pedals are...? Hard plastic is not a good surface if you have any moisture on your shoes.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-07-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmich3 View Post
You are correct 5th gear does get better MPG unless you are driving 75-+ in 6th. Got a ticket trying this out. MPG screen provides all the data you need. Any hills or wind drastically effects the mpg's. The only complaint I have is how slippery the pedals are...? Hard plastic is not a good surface if you have any moisture on your shoes.
The rubber on the pedals is harder than I think it should be. I've commented on this previously. At over 8,600 miles, 5th is still the gear unless going over 70 for me. Where I live, that is not a very frequent event. Reverse gets more play than 6th.

post #10 of 15 Old 02-27-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1 View Post
With over 4,000 on the clock I've had a chance to try things out. I'm finding that on rolling hills or headwinds, 5th gets better MPGs than 6th in the 60-70 MPH range. I've also learned passing needs 3rd. The possibility to loose grip without beating the clutch up is very minimal on rainy or dry roads. Lastly, Reverse could be a little lower as I find I have to slip the clutch more than I like.
for what it's worth I drove 200 miles to the adirondacks and back this last weekend.

This is back country roads in PA until getting on the highway and then just cruising. On the drive there I made sure to use 6th whenever I was cruising. I noticed that if I wasn't over 75ish that 6th would slow down on hills on the highway etc. so I set the cruise control for 75 and went with it.

MPG on the way there: 27 (using 6th gear)

ON the way back I made sure to not use 6th gear, and just drove using 5th the whole way. Mostly with cruise between 70 and 75.

MPG on the way back: 29 (using 5th gear)

so I concur. 6th just seems to be not economical unless you're on flat highways doing over 75. I'll be keeping mine in 5th until time arises.

(i also think reverse is a little bit much, I only half clutch it).

-jon

edit: on the way there I was by myself with no luggage, on the way back I also had my daughter and my whole family's luggage, so add 150 lbs.
Mudman1 likes this.

Last edited by joninpa; 02-27-2018 at 02:52 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
for what it's worth I drove 200 miles to the adirondacks and back this last weekend.

This is back country roads in PA until getting on the highway and then just cruising. On the drive there I made sure to use 6th whenever I was cruising. I noticed that if I wasn't over 75ish that 6th would slow down on hills on the highway etc. so I set the cruise control for 75 and went with it.

MPG on the way there: 27 (using 6th gear)

ON the way back I made sure to not use 6th gear, and just drove using 5th the whole way. Mostly with cruise between 70 and 75.

MPG on the way back: 29 (using 5th gear)

so I concur. 6th just seems to be not economical unless you're on flat highways doing over 75. I'll be keeping mine in 5th until time arises.

(i also think reverse is a little bit much, I only half clutch it).

-jon

edit: on the way there I was by myself with no luggage, on the way back I also had my daughter and my whole family's luggage, so add 150 lbs.
Pretty much my thoughts. Reverse is way too short. I always have to ride the clutch. Not sure how fast they thought a person would need to drive in reverse when designing that gear.

Now 9,554 miles on the clock. The engine is happier to not be revved super high when starting out. NOT a diesel or I6 gas in any way, but she is breaking in and becoming easier to drive in a "casual" fashion.

post #12 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 01:20 PM

i'm surprised though I always thought of 6th gear as an "overdrive" or something that would get better MPG.

Also the Jeep manual says that you should switch from 5 to 6 at 56 mph if you are accelerating
and from 5 to 6 at 41 mph if you are cruising.

I'll try today but i find that 6th seems to lug on hills at 60, why would anyone in their right mind switch to it at 41 mph?
Mudman1 likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
post #13 of 15 Old 03-02-2018, 11:43 PM

This transmission is setup for autobahns in Europe. I lived there for 12 years and the 6th gear would be the correct gear for cruising and getting good mpg at 80+.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 PM

update: I have tested switching gears according to the manual suggested:

2 to 3 - 19mph
3 to 4- 27 mph
4 to 5 - 37 mph
5 to 6 - 41 mph.

It always feel like the engine is just barely on the verge of lugging, and the rpms are usually between 1250 and 1500.
Of course everything takes much longer, and it feels like I'm struggling to make it over even the tiniest of hills.

BUT

My fuel economy on my commute has improved from 23 MPG to 28 MPG.

I will see if I can do a long-distance run and how high I can get that MPG, but so far, switching into 6th gear around 45ish has improved my MPG by about 20%
Mudman1 likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
post #15 of 15 Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
I'll try today but i find that 6th seems to lug on hills at 60, why would anyone in their right mind switch to it at 41 mph?
That probably works if you're driving near detroit where the only hill around is the dump and a slight wind at your back I try to keep it in the tallest gear possible but will let it rev to accelerate. For hilly areas I often run it in 6th until it starts to lug and skip gears when I downshift ...commonly do 6th -> 4th. For highway and country roads without stoplights I tend to get in the 28-32 range.
Mudman1 likes this.

2018 Compass Latitude 4x4 6sp - Pref group, Cold Weather, Tow pkg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in