AM Radio issues - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

AM Radio issues

I love my sports radio, but I've noticed that my AM reception is especially bad, compared to my previous car. A lot of dropouts and static in typically good areas. I just got this 2017 in oct. You think if I take it into the shop, they'd be able to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-17-2017, 01:08 PM

There may be a problem with antenna or antenna wire. Bring it into the shop, they should fix it.
Btw do you have any issues with FM reception?
post #3 of 6 Old 11-17-2017, 02:42 PM

My guess is that very little money was spent developing and using good parts for the AM functionality of the radio. There are many, many ways to cut corners on building an AM/FM radio. If your dealer is local, might be worth swinging in there and checking to see if the reception is similar in other Compasses sitting on the lot and my guess is they probably will be similar. Not impossible to think you could have a loose antenna wire or something but I think its much more likely they just went to a cheap digital receiver not expecting many people to actually use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-22-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-road View Post
There may be a problem with antenna or antenna wire. Bring it into the shop, they should fix it.
Btw do you have any issues with FM reception?
No bad FM reception. I'll take it in soon. Hopefully I won't have to pay anything
post #5 of 6 Old 11-22-2017, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
My guess is that very little money was spent developing and using good parts for the AM functionality of the radio. There are many, many ways to cut corners on building an AM/FM radio. If your dealer is local, might be worth swinging in there and checking to see if the reception is similar in other Compasses sitting on the lot and my guess is they probably will be similar. Not impossible to think you could have a loose antenna wire or something but I think its much more likely they just went to a cheap digital receiver not expecting many people to actually use it.
Do you think this is something that I can fix myself?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-22-2017, 02:23 PM

I don't know, from what I have read the antenna on the Compass is actually removable, assuming it encompasses both the FM and AM antenna you could potentially replace it (but I have no idea what with). Thats IF that antenna has anything to do with the AM reception. You could pop it out and see if your AM reception changes as a simple test... because believe me if I were the engineer and they were asking me if I thought anyone gave a crumb about AM reception I would have said "nah probly not, I'll just put a 3 inch coil of copper in the headunit and that will be the AM antenna" ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in