Cool Video YouTube Test - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 11-26-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Cool Video YouTube Test

Thought I would share.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-26-2017, 08:43 PM

Not really the best choices to go off road in stock form, but the video was interesting to watch and I didn't expect to see the Renegade perform all that great.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-27-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelin
Not really the best choices to go off road in stock form
How do you mean? How are the trail-rated versions not the best choices? Are you saying it would have better for them to pit a couple latitudes against each other going up the hill?

I was surprised to see both of them have the traction control give up so easily trying to hoist themselves uphill. Why would it cut power completely like that with the vehicle only containing one person, no trailer/extra weight, in the lowest most powerful gear? Methinks Jeep did that to keep idiots from getting themselves into too much trouble, thats the only explanation I can think of. Clearly, if they would have first disabled traction control they both would have scratched and scrambled and powered their way up first try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2017, 04:46 PM

TFL's a great channel, this is exactly the sort of video I've hoped they'd do. Nice to see more evidence that the Compass is indeed pretty capable. It does hurt the Compass slightly by being a little longer and heavier than the Renegade, but mainly it just goes to show that if you're actually going to go off-road, the stock tires just do not cut it--even the Trailhawk Falkens. You need dedicated AT's.

They also wondered why the Compass gets 1 more MPG; I'm sure the Renny's boxiness is a contributing factor, but mainly I think it's due to the Compass' ESS feature.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
post #5 of 10 Old 11-27-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Why would it cut power completely like that with the vehicle only containing one person, no trailer/extra weight, in the lowest most powerful gear?
One of the YT commenters (Patrick Rich) replying to why it cuts power to all 4 wheels: "they don't and it doesn't. it just doesn't have enough wheel torque at those engine speeds to be able to brake 2 wheels in the air and have enough left over to turn 2 wheels on the ground on a steep hill. The wheels on the ground are getting the full might that the engine has to offer but at those speeds its insufficient."

Sad. TFL is saying TCS cannot be completely disabled but other commenters are disagreeing, saying you have to hold the button down for 5-7 seconds. But it sounds like the issue here isn't necessarily TCS...

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
post #6 of 10 Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 PM

The owners manual describes essentially two tiers of disabling electronic assistance features (traction/stability/etc). I don't have the book in front of me right now but for sure there are two levels I read about, the lighter being a momentary press on the button and the latter being a 5-second hold on the button. The more extreme, 5-second option disables if you go above a certain speed (I want to say 14 mph) and then reverts when you drop back to slow speeds.

I wish they would have tried it with the 5-second off setting because although its true it won't 100% disable everything it disables a lot and I suspect it would allow the engine to rev up to the point where it would have enough power to go. Makes sense that some system was cutting the engine RPMs but I don't think it would do that if the TCS was at its most disabled state.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-02-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
The owners manual describes essentially two tiers of disabling electronic assistance features (traction/stability/etc). I don't have the book in front of me right now but for sure there are two levels I read about, the lighter being a momentary press on the button and the latter being a 5-second hold on the button. The more extreme, 5-second option disables if you go above a certain speed (I want to say 14 mph) and then reverts when you drop back to slow speeds.

I wish they would have tried it with the 5-second off setting because although its true it won't 100% disable everything it disables a lot and I suspect it would allow the engine to rev up to the point where it would have enough power to go. Makes sense that some system was cutting the engine RPMs but I don't think it would do that if the TCS was at its most disabled state.
Which button are you referring to? And is there anyway to permanently disable the auto start/stop feature?

In regards to the video, did you anyone notice what mode the TFL driver in the Compass was using? Was it the 4WD Low/Rock mode? It wasn't really clear.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjerrylee
Which button are you referring to? And is there anyway to permanently disable the auto start/stop feature?

In regards to the video, did you anyone notice what mode the TFL driver in the Compass was using? Was it the 4WD Low/Rock mode? It wasn't really clear.
I was referring to the traction control button on the bottom/rearward right of the shift console. You press it once momentarily to turn TCM partial off, hold for 5 seconds while stopped to (almost) completely disable traction control.

There is no way to disable the auto start/stop feature. Its only a matter of time until someone makes an aftermarket gizmo to disable it for us because it is a much disliked feature that makes me look like an idiot at stop signs and intersections.

The driver in the TFL video had it in low/rock mode, 4WD lock.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-04-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was referring to the traction control button on the bottom/rearward right of the shift console. You press it once momentarily to turn TCM partial off, hold for 5 seconds while stopped to (almost) completely disable traction control.

There is no way to disable the auto start/stop feature. Its only a matter of time until someone makes an aftermarket gizmo to disable it for us because it is a much disliked feature that makes me look like an idiot at stop signs and intersections.

The driver in the TFL video had it in low/rock mode, 4WD lock.
Me no have Auto Start/Stop . I did in my 3.2L Trailhawk and always turned it off. The girlfriend's new '18 Cherokee Latitude with the 2.4L does not have ESS.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
One of the YT commenters (Patrick Rich) replying to why it cuts power to all 4 wheels: "they don't and it doesn't. it just doesn't have enough wheel torque at those engine speeds to be able to brake 2 wheels in the air and have enough left over to turn 2 wheels on the ground on a steep hill. The wheels on the ground are getting the full might that the engine has to offer but at those speeds its insufficient."

Sad. TFL is saying TCS cannot be completely disabled but other commenters are disagreeing, saying you have to hold the button down for 5-7 seconds. But it sounds like the issue here isn't necessarily TCS...
I"ve been saying this for years, no low range and the brake lock differentials eat all the power up from the little engine, the previous FDII models which are basically identical to the new trailhawks have the same problem.

I just went wheeling with a Renegade Trailhawk and any type of steep incline with any type of articulation and he was stuck not going anywhere.

If you want to completely disable traction control pull the ABS fuse, however in that state you will miss having the brake lock differentials since they do work very well they just have their limit of effectiveness

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in