• 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By Jaime Figueroa
  • 1 Post By Tripod
  • 1 Post By Jasmine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 29 Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Fog Lightt

hi

i have a brand new 2018 jeep compass sport, this model does not have fog light, i am looking for the factory fog lights or aftermarket that fit the compass...

also the stereo is the 5 inch uconnet touch screen , i want the big one with car play or any other after market that fit the space and use the factory rear camera

thansk for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-28-2017, 02:33 PM

Oooohh you... would have been much, much better off... simply buying one that already had that stuff... for a few dollars more

Prefer to do things the very very hard way, eh? Well here is the long and the short: You have a 2018 Compass, and the current year is what? 2017. So, just how much info do you think exists at this point in time? How far along do you think the aftermarkets are in developing stuff for this vehicle? The answer is not very much.

Aftermarket is slow, it will be some time before I would expect to see any significant offerings that are directly for the MP / new compass. Universal / custom fit is going to be the main option for now.

As for swapping radios and such, you are here looking around for pioneers with knowledge to share well here is news for you: YOU are the pioneer. Its a new car, in a brand new redesign. Nobody has had much of any chance yet to fiddle with modding these things. Most of us are not going to, either, because of warranty concerns and because most people don't want to screw up their brand new cars.

Its one thing when you buy a 10-year-old honda that thousands of people have poked and prodded and shared information on. You've got yourself a totally fresh designed SUV that nobody has seen before, much less taken apart, and you want the sky to open up and magically drop you some experts who have spent the time and the money, and know exactly what radios and part numbers you should look for and what hiccups and challenges you face doing a swap? Sorry, those people don't exist yet. YOU are going to be one of those people, maybe, if you have it in you. If you can't figure out some things for yourself and do some experimentation without the help of a how-to guide then you are just going to have to wait and use your SUV as-is.

You are really screwed with regard to the radio, depending on your options. On mine, a lot of stuff is grafted into the 8.4 inch screen such as controls for the heated seats and wheel and display of the currently selected temperature and fan settings. I don't know about your 5 inch radio, but mine, its pretty difficult to imagine how you would replace a head unit that controls the majority of the HVAC system and the auxiliary features.

You apparently don't realize how much more intertwined infotainment systems are with the rest of the car nowadays. Sure, in the old days the radio was a mostly independent piece, it had wires merely for power, speakers, and not much else. Now, there is steering wheel controls and HVAC settings and feature controls in there, you don't just up and replace that. Not in mine, anyways. Certainly not with aftermarket. And, although not many people have had a chance to toy with these units yet, one would think programming would be fairly specific from vehicle to vehicle so I'd be surprised if you could just order up the larger head unit and drop it in and have it all magically work. What if the wiring harness plugs don't match up?

Boy you really have an uphill battle. If you are clever and handy with a soldering iron, have a few bucks to spend and some hours to put into it, you could be the first. If you are waiting for someone to say "well you just punch these exact part numbers into moparpartsonline and do this this and that" you are screwed at this point in time.

So thats basically it, the options are
1) Figure it out yourself. (at risk of totally wrecking something if you don't know what you are doing)
2) Wait however many years until someone smarter figures it out.
3) Run back to your dealership and tell them you changed your mind and want to fork over some more money for a better equipped model.

Sorry if I come off as cranky about the whole thing but me personally I always shake my head at people who buy a BRAND NEW PERFECTLY GOOD CAR where everything works as designed and before they even get it home they want to rip it apart and start messing with it because somehow its not good enough as is. Why even buy it if it isn't everything that you wanted?

But anyways, sorry to be such a sourpuss thats just my two cents.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-28-2017, 05:54 PM

TL;DR from above. (and a little nicer)

Nothing aftermarket yet.

My own note:

At some point someone will probably make an interface to deal with aftermarket stereos just expect to pay a few hundred for it. Otherwise you could order the 7in radio from your dealer but it will cost you way more then if you just had bought a vehicle with the TECH GROUP option. I do not know if you would need to replace anything else besides the radio.

I am waiting for aftermarket FOG LIGHTS as well. As you may have noticed it is not an option on the SPORT and I wasn't willing to pay an extra $1,500 to go up to a latitude for fog lights. Nothing yet has been announced however you should be able to put something together from replacement parts and a little work if you must have them now.

I've attached the fog lights part numbers if you want to try and look into it. If you do go ahead please share with the rest of us how it worked.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf front lights.pdf (155.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Instrument switches.pdf (109.9 KB, 21 views)
Koily likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Sorry for being so grouchy this morning, hadn't had enough coffee yet apparently
Koily likes this.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-29-2017, 01:37 AM

I bought a 2018 Compass Sport. Wanted fog lights, 7 inch screen and black roof. But, what I wanted more was AWD with a manual transmission. The Sport is the only model that comes that way, so fog lights and 7 inch screen had to go, (got the black roof within a week of pick up).

Sometimes you buy the best version of what you want and is most important to you. It’s isnt always about money. If Jeep had stuck with the two base levels being available with AWD and MT, some of us wouldn’t be in this sitch (#@$&'n FCA).

TBS, thanks for breaking it down AL (and the apology) and JG. I’ll wait and see what the market comes up with.

One last thing, although I originally wanted the bigger screen for the 'pretty' factor, I'm now glad I’ve only got the 5 inch. I get the feeling I’ll have less issues when/if something goes wrong with the system as it doesn’t control too much. The less bells and whistles, the less problems.

Last edited by Koily; 11-29-2017 at 01:48 AM.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-29-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koily
what I wanted more was AWD with a manual transmission.
I can understand that. It was difficult for me to go to automatic transmission after my last three being manuals, and I am jealous of those of you with the manual 6-speed.

I had almost forgotten about the 7 inch screen option, getting to that shouldn't be as difficult as trying to get to the 8.4 inch screen. They really did sew an awful lot of the climate controls and stuff into the 8.4 but if that isn't the case with the 5" and 7" it might not be an overly complicated upgrade. Where there is a will there is a way.
post #7 of 29 Old 11-29-2017, 06:39 PM

Well I have a 2017 New Gen and let me tell you.

Fog Lights is possible. But you need to buy harness or make your own. I already took the driver fog delete cover. Theres a plug that connect with the wiring for the daytime running lights and signal lights but the conector for fog light is missing. But the wiring on the engine harness is there thats the good news. The bad news is that you must either make your own harness or buy the harness with fog light conectors. (which i did on ebay and now i known how it works. in the end. from the connector the cables for fog light ligthing are white and orange and white and green. (either one of them is left and right) the second you must use one of the 2 black cables on the connector because those are negative signals and the vehicles kinda controls the fog lamps using those 2.

I can hit you up with the fog parts that you muy buy but be aware. Those parts are not jet abble to the found online.

Plus you must buy headlight control switch with fog light control and automatic lighting (yes it works just plug and play as the sensor is integrated in the cluster.)

for changing the radio you need to change the radio and the botton part with the audio controls.

I also added the automatic rearview mirror (must be original of 2017 compass or 2018 as it gives compass(north south etc) location to the unit.

It all works plug and play, the problem right now?

finding the vehicle donor or finding the parts online... yep im not paying stealership prices.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-29-2017, 06:56 PM

Couldn't you make your own simple harness for the fog lights by using a relay to trigger them on with the low-beam headlights? Sure, you would not have any switch to turn them off and they would always be on with your low beams, but it would save a lot of trouble and hassle replacing the headlight switch and such.

On ours that came with fog lights, they are only on when the low beams are on. They turn off with high beams.

Just assuming if you are going to install them then probably you are going to use them, so why bother with the extra time and cost of the switch? Just my two cents.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 PM

But if you want factory look and automatic headlights itís a must ??
post #10 of 29 Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Figueroa
But if you want factory look and automatic headlights itís a must ??
Automatic headlights, do the sport models not already have that? You have to manually turn on headlights? That I don't know, you would need more than just the switch you would also need the light sensor + wiring and even if you had those parts and plugged them in, is your BCM programmed to just up and start using them?

Factory look I don't understand, the fog lights will look the same no matter how they are toggled on and off. If you are OK that they are always on with low beams then its very very easy wiring with a relay and would save a lot of hassle.
post #11 of 29 Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Automatic headlights, do the sport models not already have that? You have to manually turn on headlights? That I don't k
now, you would need more than just the switch you would also need the light sensor + wiring and even if you had those parts and plugged them in, is your BCM programmed to just up and start using them?

Factory look I don't understand, the fog lights will look the same no matter how they are toggled on and off. If you are OK that they are always on with low beams then its very very easy wiring with a relay and would save a lot of hassle.

Sport does not have auto headlights, but it does appear all parts are there except for the switch. Pretty sure the switch is around 120 at dealership price.

Last edited by Jason Gillis; 11-29-2017 at 10:39 PM.
post #12 of 29 Old 11-29-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Figueroa View Post

I can hit you up with the fog parts that you muy buy but be aware. Those parts are not jet abble to the found online.
Can you share the part numbers you used. I have the parts list but with so many options was finding it confusing. I couldn't find the part number for the harness in the list.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Wow I'm so in shock learning it this way that fog lights in new Jeep are NOT a standard but optional.

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
@
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

post #14 of 29 Old 11-30-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakaze View Post
Wow I'm so in shock learning it this way that fog lights in new Jeep are NOT a standard but optional.

They are standard on all trim levels except Sport. They are not even an option on the Sport trim.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-30-2017, 03:53 PM

My 2016 Sport has automatic headlights, fog lights, and comes with bigger tires. I'm not liking the new Compass; more of a luxury vehicle than an SUV.
post #16 of 29 Old 12-01-2017, 02:54 AM

Parts

FOG BEZEL LH
4010170342AB
FOG BEZEL TRIM CHROME LH
4010160016AB

you need to buy those 2 to actually make 1 fog lamp cover or assembly. and repeat above.

FOG LAMP (BOTH ARE THE SAME0
68353533AA

FOG BEZEL RH
4010170341AB
FOG BEZEL TRIM CHROME RH
4010160015AB

The harness I don't know the part number but im sure somebody here can post the harness part number
Jason Gillis likes this.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 PM

Update

Well I brought the parts for the fog lights and wiring harness and looks like it needs dealer programming as it doesn’t work or does anything else with the new buttons. It works only as the basic buttons that the car had before but the new added functions of turning on the fog lights which I brought the harness for them and auto headlights doesn’t work they are disabled.

Neither works the rear view interior mirror with auto dim, in the mirror is worst the internal compass neither works either.

I known is getting power but no answer from the mirror :/

Nothing else not even the compass works. :’(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1520973564620.jpg (42.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg image_1520973587178.jpg (35.6 KB, 36 views)
post #18 of 29 Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 PM

I'd be willing to bet it has to be enabled in the computer so it can be seen on the can bus network
post #19 of 29 Old 03-19-2018, 09:26 PM

If it makes someone feel good. Don’t waste ur money on this. Just went to the dealership with the car parts installed just waiting for them to be program and guess what it doesn’t work neither.

I regreeet buying this Jeep.
post #20 of 29 Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 PM

Another update.

It loooks like I brought the wrong mirror. The mirror doesn’t have the integrated compass I opened and checked it. Mmm still wondering how to make those fog and auto lights work.
post #21 of 29 Old 03-19-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Figueroa View Post
Another update.

It loooks like I brought the wrong mirror. The mirror doesnít have the integrated compass I opened and checked it. Mmm still wondering how to make those fog and auto lights work.
It will work, you just need to figure out how. Don't rely on the computer. Use the headlights to switch a relay for the fog lamps.
post #22 of 29 Old 07-22-2018, 07:47 AM

I got another update after months

Jeep Customer Care in Puerto Rico or whatever is call. Told me that It would require changing some harness of the car and new ECU and idk which more and that i will total $5,000 to change the parts for making Fog Lamps works.... I'm thinking is is only an issue with programming.. Im going to wait to see when one of these goes to junk yard when a model with fog lights goes il go and get the ecu and parts required to make mine start... going to test and prove that the wiring is there. probably is just a matter of programming... we need to hack these cars. :LOL:
post #23 of 29 Old 08-20-2018, 06:42 PM

I have aTrailhawk with fog lights and they are pretty useless, not sure it would be worth all the trouble to retrofit.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-20-2018, 10:39 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuster View Post
I have aTrailhawk with fog lights and they are pretty useless, not sure it would be worth all the trouble to retrofit.
I don't know how you can say they're useless? Maybe they're not aimed properly. I love mine on my Trailhawk, and use them all the time. I love the added visibility, even if it's not "foggy" out.

I've always found them to be good
post #25 of 29 Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 AM

They may not be aimed properly, they only light up about 10 feet in front of the car.
post #26 of 29 Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
They may not be aimed properly, they only light up about 10 feet in front of the car.

That is what fog lights are supposed to do. They would be aimed incorrectly, If they lighted up anything further away than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-64 likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-23-2018, 12:45 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Left or right fog lights illumine with the turn signals. Its a nice feature when driving night on unfamiliar roads.
Dbuster likes this.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-24-2018, 02:56 AM

Garage
I have a 2018 Compass Sport, and it has fog lights. Maybe I have a higher trim package. I still have the window sticker from when I bought it but it's at work for some reason. I will check it and report back tomorrow.
post #29 of 29 Old 08-24-2018, 11:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611Diane View Post
I have a 2018 Compass Sport, and it has fog lights. Maybe I have a higher trim package. I still have the window sticker from when I bought it but it's at work for some reason. I will check it and report back tomorrow.
I stand corrected. It isn't the first time and it won't be the last. According to the window sticker, I have daytime running lamps and not fog lights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in