2017+ switchback DRL/turn signal purchase - Jeep Compass Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 44 Old 12-05-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

2017+ switchback DRL/turn signal purchase

https://store.ijdmtoy.com/Jeep-Compa...s-p/70-822.htm

will post pics upon install! on sale right now for cyber week, whatever that means.
Nigthcast, dawm and 10-64 like this.

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-07-2017, 07:38 PM

Hey, what was the "on sale" price? they are currently 200$. Waiting to see the install pics, thanks.
post #3 of 44 Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloren5 View Post
Hey, what was the "on sale" price? they are currently 200$. Waiting to see the install pics, thanks.
eBay has them as low as $59+25 shipping (from China, so expect 2-3 week delivery) I've seen it as high as 179 on eBay. Found a listing that had actual pictures of the back, they appear to be plug in play with the factory wiring! For the DRL it has a wired plug that will replace the bulb in the factory socket and lock into place, the turn has a molded connector that looks familiar to the oem plug. They also have installed pictures. Just search eBay for Jeep Compass DRL and it'll be listed in the 100 or so listings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 12-08-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
eBay has them as low as $59+25 shipping (from China, so expect 2-3 week delivery) I've seen it as high as 179 on eBay. Found a listing that had actual pictures of the back, they appear to be plug in play with the factory wiring! For the DRL it has a wired plug that will replace the bulb in the factory socket and lock into place, the turn has a molded connector that looks familiar to the oem plug. They also have installed pictures. Just search eBay for Jeep Compass DRL and it'll be listed in the 100 or so listings.

Do you happen to have the direct link for that specific listing? I can't find that price in my searches.
post #5 of 44 Old 12-08-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjeep34 View Post
https://store.ijdmtoy.com/Jeep-Compa...s-p/70-822.htm

will post pics upon install! on sale right now for cyber week, whatever that means.
I've seen these on eBay too. I want amber DRLs, not white. That link above looks sketchy so I'm not dumping my money there. I want to find amber halogen bulbs but have had zero luck. Only the white ones. Heads up...to replace those you will need to remove the front tires. Remove the front portion of the wheel liners. Reach in there real deep. There are two, maybe three, screws that hold the housing in. The wiring harness is not really long. I found this out whilst replacing my factory got lights with the JW Speaker ones.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
post #6 of 44 Old 12-08-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1 View Post
Heads up...to replace those you will need to remove the front tires. Remove the front portion of the wheel liners. Reach in there real deep. There are two, maybe three, screws that hold the housing in. The wiring harness is not really long. I found this out whilst replacing my factory got lights with the JW Speaker ones.
Thanks for the info on the install process. Due to back problems, you saved me some grief and pain and I'll stick with what I have.
Mudman1 and 10-64 like this.
post #7 of 44 Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloren5 View Post
Do you happen to have the direct link for that specific listing? I can't find that price in my searches.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F152638551617

post #8 of 44 Old 12-08-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've seen these on eBay too. I want amber DRLs, not white. That link above looks sketchy so I'm not dumping my money there. I want to find amber halogen bulbs but have had zero luck. Only the white ones. Heads up...to replace those you will need to remove the front tires. Remove the front portion of the wheel liners. Reach in there real deep. There are two, maybe three, screws that hold the housing in. The wiring harness is not really long. I found this out whilst replacing my factory got lights with the JW Speaker ones.
No sir - I've gone through iJDM for the last 5 years for EVERYTHING electrical/lighting purposed. I definitely have 0 ties to this company based 1500+ miles from me but the customer service and shipping (free) has always been on point as well. I found them when I was looking for a HID kit for my Audi RS5 years ago. Long story short- you won't be disappointed with this company so don't be discouraged by a link. The lights will be in on Tuesday so I'll have an update with pictures then!
Mudman1, dawm and 10-64 like this.

post #9 of 44 Old 12-11-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

So they fit awesome, direct plug and play BUT the DRL's hyper flash even though the product description says built-in CAN-bus controller, complete no onboard computer error, no turn signal hyper flash issues.

Going back and forth with support now to remedy the issue. Might swap them out for a new pair or just say "no thanks" altogether. Thoughts on how to fix? The turn signals are solid and work fine, it's the DRL's that look like a strobe light.
Mudman1, dawm and 10-64 like this.

post #10 of 44 Old 12-12-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
So they fit awesome, direct plug and play BUT the DRL's hyper flash even though the product description says built-in CAN-bus controller, complete no onboard computer error, no turn signal hyper flash issues.

Going back and forth with support now to remedy the issue. Might swap them out for a new pair or just say "no thanks" altogether. Thoughts on how to fix? The turn signals are solid and work fine, it's the DRL's that look like a strobe light.
It looks like you know of why this happens. When I put Buckstop bumpers on my new 2012 2500HD Cummins, I put 4" Rigid lights up front. One set white, one set yellow. I wanted to hook the fogs up to the factory fog switch. Of course, factory was all regular bulbs. The lights flashed just as you described. I had to run them on their own switches. On my new MP, the JW Speaker fogs I installed to replace the factory fog lights do not flash at all. Of course, JWs cost over $300 and it may be partly because of what they use to control such actions. Good luck on the fix.

Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

post #11 of 44 Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Any resolution to this? And any real life pics of how they look (other than the ones on eBay/ijdm).
post #12 of 44 Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 AM

Garage
Quote:

It sounds like it needs a resistor along with the wiring. Common problem when switching from halogen to LED on new vehicles.
arudlang likes this.

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
post #13 of 44 Old 12-29-2017, 10:08 PM

I'm trying to simply swap the damned headlight bulbs. My big fat paws can't get in the stupidly tight space to work with the bulb. How do these headlights come out? I've removed the bolts that I can see, and it's NOT budging. Of course, google searching is giving me every conceivable jeep EXCEPT the Compass. *head desks*
post #14 of 44 Old 12-29-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I'm trying to simply swap the damned headlight bulbs. My big fat paws can't get in the stupidly tight space to work with the bulb. How do these headlights come out? I've removed the bolts that I can see, and it's NOT budging. Of course, google searching is giving me every conceivable jeep EXCEPT the Compass. *head desks*
Unscrew the cap on the back, it's a big circle with a flat piece along the middle, turn that and remove it, behind that is the bulb.

post #15 of 44 Old 12-29-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
Unscrew the cap on the back, it's a big circle with a flat piece along the middle, turn that and remove it, behind that is the bulb.

Yes, that part I know. My thing is that there is virtually zero clearance for me to work with behind the housing. There is a metal bar that runs right behind the headlight, making it a process that you have to work over or under, each direction severely compromising the ability to work with the bulb inside the hole. I also had to unscrew the air filter housing and push it aside to try to get some added room to move, but that metal bar is still seriously in the way. I'm ready to simply remove the entire headlight so I can bench swap the bulbs in. I gave up for the night and it still took damn near 30 minutes to get the halogen back in the socket. I can swap the alternator out in this vehicle faster than I can get a bulb changed.

ADDED

I took pics of the work space. This is why I want to get the assemblies removed to swap the bulbs. This is so tight that hands much bigger than a 10 year old's aren't going to get in this space to do anything other than clumsily fumble around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar of nope.jpg (74.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg bar of nope2.jpg (93.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Wolfy; 12-29-2017 at 11:35 PM.
post #16 of 44 Old 12-29-2017, 11:37 PM

No bolts. Remove the plastic weather covers. One per side for each bulb. Harness is behind that. I have slender fingers and it is tight.

If you want some real fun, try and remove the reverse light harness without tools / breaking the plastic. Those are on there for life...designed to withstand an EF5 tornado.

post #17 of 44 Old 12-29-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
No bolts. Remove the plastic weather covers. One per side for each bulb. Harness is behind that. I have slender fingers and it is tight.

If you want some real fun, try and remove the reverse light harness without tools / breaking the plastic. Those are on there for life...designed to withstand an EF5 tornado.
That is a no go for us. Removing the weather covers is about the only thing you can readily do with this. Forget fiddling with the bulbs. We were in the garage over three hours and cannot get enough grip on the replacement bulbs to do anything more than hold them in place. I need to get these removed somehow.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #18 of 44 Old 12-29-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
That is a no go for us. Removing the weather covers is about the only thing you can readily do with this. Forget fiddling with the bulbs. We were in the garage over three hours and cannot get enough grip on the replacement bulbs to do anything more than hold them in place. I need to get these removed somehow.
I replaced the high beam bulbs with some VisionX bulbs shortly after purchase of the MP. It took about 10 minutes total. Try using some 8" adjustable pliers with rubber grip covers to twist the socket out of the housing. Otherwise, just let them be. What are you putting in to replace the factory bulbs?

post #19 of 44 Old 12-30-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I replaced the high beam bulbs with some VisionX bulbs shortly after purchase of the MP. It took about 10 minutes total. Try using some 8" adjustable pliers with rubber grip covers to twist the socket out of the housing. Otherwise, just let them be. What are you putting in to replace the factory bulbs?
CREE LED bulbs. I simply just need about two more inches of room behind the housings to be able to finger grip the heat sinks and twist them into place.
Mudman1 likes this.
post #20 of 44 Old 01-01-2018, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydeez View Post
Any resolution to this? And any real life pics of how they look (other than the ones on eBay/ijdm).
no sir, I just took a video of them malfunctioning to send to the company (ended up going the refund route until the aftermarket starts to get ironed out with the new models).

post #21 of 44 Old 01-01-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
no sir, I just took a video of them malfunctioning to send to the company (ended up going the refund route until the aftermarket starts to get ironed out with the new models).

Ok thanks for the reply. I want to order these, but not if they flicker.

I don't blame you for not wanting to try again. Did ijdm think your case was an isolated incident? Or are they having multiple reports with the 2018's?
post #22 of 44 Old 01-02-2018, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok thanks for the reply. I want to order these, but not if they flicker.

I don't blame you for not wanting to try again. Did ijdm think your case was an isolated incident? Or are they having multiple reports with the 2018's?
they said it was isolated and haven't received a complaint/return from any other 2017/2018 customer. not sure if I 100% believe that but take it for what it is. like I said, I'm going to give it a few months to start seeing positive ratings on the proof on concept before I shell out money again. there are cheaper options from other companies & vendors however (lowest I've seen is $90 on eBay).

I will say the fit was PERFECT and holding it next to the OEM lights, I couldn't tell the difference; front or back. the white light that ended up flashing was extremely bright. I wish it would have worked the first time around! the mod will definitely be worth the money if and when it works.

post #23 of 44 Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
they said it was isolated and haven't received a complaint/return from any other 2017/2018 customer. not sure if I 100% believe that but take it for what it is. like I said, I'm going to give it a few months to start seeing positive ratings on the proof on concept before I shell out money again. there are cheaper options from other companies & vendors however (lowest I've seen is $90 on eBay).

I will say the fit was PERFECT and holding it next to the OEM lights, I couldn't tell the difference; front or back. the white light that ended up flashing was extremely bright. I wish it would have worked the first time around! the mod will definitely be worth the money if and when it works.

Thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate the reply. I'm glad the fit was perfect. That seems to be one of the biggest problem with aftermarket parts. I'll probably give these a shot soon.
post #24 of 44 Old 03-30-2018, 10:34 AM

I have mine installed as well and have been working well. Had an issue “drl lamp malfunction” once or twice but here’s the pics.

post #25 of 44 Old 03-30-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclez View Post
I have mine installed as well and have been working well. Had an issue “drl lamp malfunction” once or twice but here’s the pics.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180330/4edc057bf6e48fa07fc01d0a693b4b06.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180330/91b790fc7870a4b79d529f99d866c4f1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180330/8ab8b259fd1c0d4af14d1089e1c127df.jpg[IMG]
Nice! Ive had these sitting in the box in my back seat for a couple months now. How was the install? Did the bumper have to come off to swap the housings?
dawm likes this.
post #26 of 44 Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM

I put some in this weekend. No errors or hyperflashing. The fit isnt perfect. The end of the light is thicker, if this makes sense, than stock so it doesnt completely slide behind the front bumper. They still fit fine and you wouldnt know it unless you compared them to stock side by side. Theres like a 1/2 - 3/4 in gap but it doesnt look bad. If you took off the front bumper you could shave down the plastic piece that is preventing them from sliding all the way in. If you have the upgraded headlights with the DRL in the headlight they dont match. The factory DRL is a nice pure white while these have a blueish tint. Didnt really matter for me though as all I really wanted was the LED turn signal and IMO the factory headlight DRL looks much better when on by itself
post #27 of 44 Old 04-10-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbrand View Post
I put some in this weekend. No errors or hyperflashing. The fit isnt perfect. The end of the light is thicker, if this makes sense, than stock so it doesnt completely slide behind the front bumper. They still fit fine and you wouldnt know it unless you compared them to stock side by side. Theres like a 1/2 - 3/4 in gap but it doesnt look bad. If you took off the front bumper you could shave down the plastic piece that is preventing them from sliding all the way in. If you have the upgraded headlights with the DRL in the headlight they dont match. The factory DRL is a nice pure white while these have a blueish tint. Didnt really matter for me though as all I really wanted was the LED turn signal and IMO the factory headlight DRL looks much better when on by itself

Were you able to install them without removing the bumper?
10-64 likes this.
post #28 of 44 Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 PM

Yes I was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-64 likes this.
post #29 of 44 Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Were you able to install them without removing the bumper?
Yes. I removed the front wheels and the front half of the fender liner. I plan on removing the front bumper eventually to paint my grill and all the black trim pieces and so I can try and get them to fit correctly.
post #30 of 44 Old 04-11-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclez View Post
Yes I was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbrand View Post
Yes. I removed the front wheels and the front half of the fender liner. I plan on removing the front bumper eventually to paint my grill and all the black trim pieces and so I can try and get them to fit correctly.
Great, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in