Cell Phone Storage - Page 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 99 Old 03-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Ah yes... If it needs charged, I kinda sit it ON the nook by the shifter, since it won't fit IN that nook. Still waiting on the center counsel tray from China, that could well be a game changer if it works as well as I'm hoping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 03-16-2018, 11:59 AM

And on my Compass I've got the USB port on the back of the center counsel... Wouldn't have to worry about running the cord from the front USB. Just have to worry about passengers breaking it. Lol
Redmaxx likes this.
post #33 of 99 Old 03-16-2018, 04:24 PM
jim

Does the USB port in the back work with Android Auto / CarPlay? Any idea how the car decides which one to use if you have a phone plugged into both USB ports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 99 Old 03-16-2018, 04:50 PM

The one in the back is for charging only (from what I have heard).

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #35 of 99 Old 03-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Garage
the old bodystyle 2017 75th anniversary compass that we have - has this GREAT little shelf on the right hand side just above the glove that is 100% awesome for holding phones and other small items. and I mean AWESOME.

wish my 2018 Cherokee had that =/

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
post #36 of 99 Old 03-16-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
I don't believe you. No reason to be insulting or argumentative. We just fundamentally disagree on the motivation for this thread.

Plus my phone fits just fine in front of the stick.
What don't you believe, from my post. Specifically?
I was cordial in my 1st reply. Your ASSuming - knowitall attitude precipitated my 2nd reply since you are injecting something into the thread starters post so that you can spew your obvious distaste for people who use their phones while they drive.
IF you would like to rant about that, by all means, start a thread about it. Then your pet peeves will be on topic.
Injecting said pet peeves into this thread is Not on topic of Where drivers put their phones.
So, there's my reason; people going off topic to promote their soap box diatribes

post #37 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME&MYMP View Post
What don't you believe, from my post. Specifically?
I was cordial in my 1st reply. Your ASSuming - knowitall attitude precipitated my 2nd reply since you are injecting something into the thread starters post so that you can spew your obvious distaste for people who use their phones while they drive.
IF you would like to rant about that, by all means, start a thread about it. Then your pet peeves will be on topic.
Injecting said pet peeves into this thread is Not on topic of Where drivers put their phones.
So, there's my reason; people going off topic to promote their soap box diatribes

Oh no, I didn't know the internet police were going to pull me over this quickly!

I don't believe that you or the OP are asking about the alleged "lack" of cell phone storage because you don't want to be able to use it while driving. There are MANY options to store a phone in the Compass, as discussed in this thread by all of us on-topic posters : your pocket, the glove box, the passenger side net, the door panel, or the center console. The reason these are not adequate is of course because people want to easily access the phone while driving. You keep omitting that the OP wanted to mount it on a vent. Me reading this and realizing what it means is not "injecting" anything. Is there some reason you don't ever quote this part of the OP? People mount their phones on the vent so they CAN'T use it while driving. Am I understanding you correctly in this regard?

As for the rest of your insulting pile of a post...The OP asked about storage, I said where I store my phone. That is not off-topic. My mentioning the real danger about using cellphones while driving is not a "pet peeve", nor a rant, nor is it off-topic. It is precisely on-topic because the suggestion I give is to use any of the cellphone storage that doesn't allow you access to the phone, and use the Jeep's hands-free features. This is just better for everyone on the road. This response appears to have rubbed you the wrong way, as you instantly got quite defensive, and decided to just personally attack me. It's OK I have a thick skin and have dealt with internet keyboard warriors for a long time.

Save your soapbox "i'm just here to keep the thread on topic" diatribe. The only one I see posting off topic is you. You have not posted where you are putting your phone at all. You have only posted attempts to convince the world that you're not going to use your phone while driving, the OP doesn't want to use his phone while driving, and flinging insults in response to my suggestion. Again, I don't believe you or your feigned altruism. We get it, you and the OP are "not going to use the phone while driving", but yet are not able to store it in any of the above locations. If you are just here to keep the thread on-topic, then please, mention where you put your phone.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
post #38 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
Let me just ask a question. If you have a passenger in the vehicle and you want to charge your phone, where do you put it?

It is very hard to plug your phone into either the USB or the power point if your phone is in your pocket or in the drivers door. That being said, there is almost zero room for your phone (I use my cup holder for cups and also storage (id badge for work, gum, etc)) and FCA would have hit a huge home run if they would have put one of those side nets on the drivers side. Also, they would have made a home run if they put in a tray for the center counsel and put a power point or an USB port in there as well. I am still investigating if the center counsel can be changed out and one with an USB port can be added.
The center console does appear to have a notch in it, so you can close the lid and have a phone plugged in to the USB/12V charger, or the rear USB port (if you have one).

I tried it out with my phone and it worked. The only problem I have is that my 12V charger is one of those coiled cables, so it was pulling a bit on the phone while it was in the center console. I also know from experience with my wife's smartphone that they do get quite hot while they're on and in an enclosed space like this, so it might not be the best place if you're concerned about that sort of thing.

Quote:
I plug my USB flash drive with podcasts into the rear USB port and they play just fine. If you have a phone plugged into the front, and the flash drive in the back, then two sources show up in the Media app.

post #39 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The reason I started the post is because I like to have my phone plugged into the USB port for charging and the Android auto capabilities. So pocket, glovebox, center console are not convenient for me. I've been using the mesh net on the passenger side but is a bit of a pain to reach over there all the time. Vent mount would be convenient for ease of setting it down and taking it out going in and out of the vehicle and would also work well for access to the USB port.

Thanks for the enjoyable posts... Enjoy life folks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Redmaxx likes this.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
post #40 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I don't believe you.

Plus my phone fits just fine in front of the stick.
Quote:

You keep omitting that the OP wanted to mount it on a vent. Me reading this and realizing what it means is not "injecting" anything. Is there some reason you don't ever quote this part of the OP? People mount their phones on the vent so they CAN'T use it while driving. Am I understanding you correctly in this regard?

blah blah.
What a complete cop out. OP simply asked where to store it & didn't like the vent. THAT'S why I left that out.
"Store" to me equalled secure. No one likes their expensive phone sliding all over the car. YOU injected your superfluous, in regards to what the OP asked, BS. So you save your bs & stick your little 90's phone where it doesn't shine. My 1st reply was not an instantaneous defensive reaction. I let you reply & only responded like I did when you went off & responded with your NHTSA bulletin about people using their phone while driving. The rest of us will discuss where we store ours. I keep mine plugged into Android Auto so there isn't a convenient, secure place, as of yet.

Last edited by ME&MYMP; 03-17-2018 at 03:15 AM. Reason: cut alot of bs out
post #41 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
I let you reply
Oh how kind of you, Lorde of MyJeepCompass forums! I art grateful for your patronage! Please accept my humblest of replies!
Quote:
...only responded like I did when you went off & responded with your NHTSA bulletin about people using their phone while driving.
Huh? If you go back and look at the history of posts I did nothing of the sort. I posted a link to a WIRED article about how people aren't truthful about how much they drive distracted. I reminisced about the good 'ol days when this tripe wasn't an issue. Plus I reiterated how I believe that car companies are going in the right direction by keeping phones out of arms reach while driving. I still hope this is intentional design, and not an oversight by Jeep.
Quote:
The rest of us will discuss where we store ours.
Well given your suggestion of where you want mine stored, I'm a bit scared to hear...
Quote:
I keep mine plugged into Android Auto so there isn't a convenient, secure place, as of yet.
OK, so where do you store it? You got this far and just left us hanging. We're on the edge of our seats. Does ME&MYMP keep it on the passenger seat? The cupholder? Does it float in mid-air? Inquiring minds want to know...

As long as we're just selecting random quotes from eachother may I?...
Quote:
3/9/18
My daily driver was totaled Wednesday when a lady pulled out from a business to go in the opposite direction I was going, right in front of me. She's at fault.
I see now why you may be so on edge about discussions of car collisions and safety. I am sorry if you thought I was pouring salt in a still healing wound. If I had just had a collision and totaled my car I would be a bit touchy with people discussing car safety in the weeks following. I hope you finally did buy the Jeep Compass you like, and I truly do hope you find a safe place to keep your phone. peace.

post #42 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Oh how kind of you, Lorde of MyJeepCompass forums! I art grateful for your patronage! Please accept my humblest of replies!

Huh? If you go back and look at the history of posts I did nothing of the sort. I posted a link to a WIRED article about how people aren't truthful about how much they drive distracted. I reminisced about the good 'ol days when this tripe wasn't an issue. Plus I reiterated how I believe that car companies are going in the right direction by keeping phones out of arms reach while driving. I still hope this is intentional design, and not an oversight by Jeep.

Well given your suggestion of where you want mine stored, I'm a bit scared to hear...

OK, so where do you store it? You got this far and just left us hanging. We're on the edge of our seats. Does ME&MYMP keep it on the passenger seat? The cupholder? Does it float in mid-air? Inquiring minds want to know...

As long as we're just selecting random quotes from eachother may I?...

I see now why you may be so on edge about discussions of car collisions and safety. I am sorry if you thought I was pouring salt in a still healing wound. If I had just had a collision and totaled my car I would be a bit touchy with people discussing car safety in the weeks following. I hope you finally did buy the Jeep Compass you like, and I truly do hope you find a safe place to keep your phone. peace.
Feel better? Yes, I let you reply 1st, full on knowing you were going to step up onto your soapboax & you did.. I've seen your type plenty of times in Jeep forums of which I've been part of since the late 90's.
It gets old.
..and yes, totaled. From 45 to zero in a split second. Thankfully I walked away after 6 airbags went off.
I haven't taken delivery of my Trailhawk I ordered, yet so I was SIMPLY trying find where people secure theirs since, in cases like mine, they become projectiles in an accident.
A tiny shallow place in front of the shifter is not secure

My other Jeep is an '85 Scrambler
post #43 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Feel better? Yes, I let you reply 1st, full on knowing you were going to step up onto your soapboax & you did.. I've seen your type plenty of times in Jeep forums of which I've been part of since the late 90's.

It gets old.

..and yes, totaled. From 45 to zero in a split second. Thankfully I walked away after 6 airbags went off.

I haven't taken delivery of my Trailhawk I ordered, yet so I was SIMPLY trying find where people secure theirs since, in cases like mine, they become projectiles in an accident.

A tiny shallow place in front of the shifter is not secure

Definitely think the proclip is rather secure sir.
post #44 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 10:39 PM

WOW! Proclip is a little pricey IMHO.

post #45 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclez View Post
I never mentioned the proclip, must have been someone else. I was referring to this:

post #46 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Have my iPod hooked to it always, syncs to the radio. So it's not just for charging

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #47 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 PM

dawm, good info, thank you! Another Michigan person too! (I'm in south central Michigan.)
post #48 of 99 Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 PM

So I guess the rear USB is where I should be looking to split so I can add an extra USB port in the center counsel.

post #49 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
So I guess the rear USB is where I should be looking to split so I can add an extra USB port in the center counsel.
Hmm I don't know about the splitting. I have an MP3 player (not Apple) and it has onboard memory and also it has a microSD slot. So you can store mp3's on either the internal memory or the SD slot. I have stuff on both. However, when I plug this into the USB ports on the jeep (either the front or the rear console) it only brings up either the internal memory or the microSD as a source. It appears to be random which it detects. I have never had that one device plugged in and gotten both the microSD and the internal storage to come up as different sources. When you plug it into a computer though, it comes up with both drives.

This is the reason why I quit with the MP3 player and just switched to flush-fit USB drives to store the podcasts on. There is no guessing as to what will be the source. I can confirm that the rear console USB port does support data, and it is much closer to the console than the front port.

I don't know if you put in a USB hub or split if you would be able to get both to function. I think I have an old USB hub and might play around with it later.

post #50 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I've seen your type plenty of times in Jeep forums of which I've been part of since the late 90's.
Rational, reasonable people who are concerned about safety? I'm sure you run into this type all the time.
Quote:
I haven't taken delivery of my Trailhawk
Oh so you don't actually have anything to add and are just here to troll? Good to know. That's OK kid, maybe after you put a few miles on your Compass you will have a good answer for where you store your cellphone.

So far I like having my phone either in my pocket or the dish in front of the stick. I will admit that when it's in front of the stick and I get a text my eyes travel much lower, but when it's in my pocket they only get drawn to the Uconnect system. Not even I am immune to the distractions of technology.

post #51 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I never mentioned the proclip, must have been someone else. I was referring to this:

I tried keeping my X there but it keeps falling over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #52 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclez View Post
Quote:
*******s like me? I'm sure you run into this type all the time.

Oh so you don't actually have anything to add and are just here to troll? Good to know. That's OK kid, maybe after you put a few miles on your Compass you will have a good answer for where you store your cellphone.
Hey *******, I'm trying to learn about where I can safely secure my phone, you are the safety preaching ******* who trolled this thread to start with so go stick your cheap tiny phone up your ass :

As far as "kid" I've owned a Jeep since 1985 when I bought it newnfor $9,700 through the Soldiers & Sailors relief act, while serving in Germany (US Army). So I'd rather be the kid in this situation vs the trolling bitch like you are.
PS- with all the pm's I've gotten, looks like the folks here agree with me ..|..

post #53 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 06:20 PM

Cell Phone Storage

Quote:
Hey *******, I'm trying to learn about where I can safely secure my phone, you are the safety preaching ******* who trolled this thread to start with so go stick your cheap tiny phone up your ass :

As far as "kid" I've owned a Jeep since 1985 when I bought it newnfor $9,700 through the Soldiers & Sailors relief act, while serving in Germany (US Army). So I'd rather be the kid in this situation vs the trolling bitch like you are.

PS- with all the pm's I've gotten, looks like the folks here agree with me ..|..

Sorry was this directed towards me?

Last edited by Musclez; 03-18-2018 at 07:30 PM.
post #54 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Subscribing Member

Quote:
WOW! Proclip is a little pricey IMHO.
It is indeed a little pricey but I've used them before and found it worth the investment. If you ever change phones, you just have to replace the holder and continue using the mount.

I just ordered one for my 2018 Compass Latitude.
Redmaxx and Musclez like this.
post #55 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 08:23 PM

Looks like you have to order online only. Kinda thought they would have distributors.

post #56 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Subscribing Member

Quote:
Looks like you have to order online only. Kinda thought they would have distributors.
I've only seen them online. They seem pretty fast with shipping. I ordered mine Thursday morning and it will be here tomorrow (Monday) but I did pay the $6.50 for priority shipping.
post #57 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsnose View Post
I've only seen them online. They seem pretty fast with shipping. I ordered mine Thursday morning and it will be here tomorrow (Monday) but I did pay the $6.50 for priority shipping.

I did 2nd day on my kit and received it in 2 days makes sense right haha.
newsnose likes this.
post #58 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 10:13 PM

I went cheap, ordered mine on March 6th... It arrived in New York last Friday, bet it takes another week to make it to Michigan. Way to go, me!!
Redmaxx and Musclez like this.
post #59 of 99 Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 PM
Subscribing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserJeep View Post
I went cheap, ordered mine on March 6th... It arrived in New York last Friday, bet it takes another week to make it to Michigan. Way to go, me!!
Wow. Makes me glad I went with priority mail on mine! I used them in my Ford pickups for years. They are definitely sturdy little devils. Decided it was time to downsize on my vehicle and upgrade on my phone.
post #60 of 99 Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Does anyone have photos of their phone with the proclip installed? I would like to see how it looks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in