Cell Phone Storage - Page 4 - Jeep Compass Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #91 of 98 Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 PM

The 3D printer at work got too abused for me to bother trying to use it anymore, I just recently bought my own and had forgotten all about this but now that I have access to a printer again I hope to circle back to the project and make something, just need some free time!

Side note, on the 8.4 the rear USB definitely works for stinkin apple carplay just fine... as demonstrated by my mother-in-law in the back seat trying to charge her phone and ending up with her hijacking my radio while I was already using android auto and trying to follow my google maps directions to get us somewhere in busy traffic... I don't know how it let her just fire carplay right up without any intervention on the screen of the radio itself. She must have plugged in at some point in the past when only my wife and her had the car, I'm assuming.

I would like to disconnect the rear USB and rout it into the center console, and replace the rear-passenger one with a pair of charge-only ports not connected to the radio, as there is no time I want my rear passengers to be able to hijack my screen like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 09-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Car Play will ONLY work when plugged onto the rear USB on my 2018. I thought I had read in the manual that the rear were charge-only. Did some head scratching when I couldn't get it to work when plugged into the front USB. Finally, in desperation, I plugged the phone into a rear USB, and bingo. Instant CarPlay.

2018 Latitude
post #93 of 98 Old 09-10-2019, 11:42 PM

found this on e-bay. from China, but not that expensive. well worth the try:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Storage-Box...9/173982999873

for a few dollars more, you can have liner:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2017-20...t/323865791180

I may get one....
arudlang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
you can get the same ones on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHZWGYC
https://www.amazon.com/LFOTPP-Car-Co...dp/B078JL1YBK/
arudlang and Jco23 like this.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #95 of 98 Old 09-11-2019, 05:55 PM

I have a 2018 Trailhawk with the 8.4/non-nav and found that both carplay and android auto work from the front usb port as well as the rear one.
arudlang likes this.
post #96 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 AM

My truck has a USB connection in the back outside of the center console for the rear passengers so I am going to use the China console tray (on order) and a short USB cord and put it there. The tray and console have openings for the cord and the phone connects to the U Connect system so still hands free. I like the idea of having the lid closed and not having the phone visible.

Baja-D

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission,
Sport Appearance Group,
Technology Group,
Compact Spare Tire.
post #97 of 98 Old 09-13-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja-D View Post
My truck has a USB connection in the back outside of the center console for the rear passengers so I am going to use the China console tray (on order) and a short USB cord and put it there. The tray and console have openings for the cord and the phone connects to the U Connect system so still hands free. I like the idea of having the lid closed and not having the phone visible.

Baja-D
same here (not sure why they removed the USB outlet from inside the console). I bought an iPod nano on ebay for < $30 and left it in there, but had to route the cord to the rear USB. I prefer my phone to never have any wires connected to it, so I made sure my Jeep had the NAV. I allow the phone to connect audio via bluetooth, and the process is much better than what I have experienced before. for example, when I press the talk button on the steering wheel, I can say to call a contact as listed on my phone (basically, the system downloads my address book once connected via bluetooth).

so to keep in line with the thread topic, I store my phone in my pocket. i prefer to seamless - the less I have to fiddle with stuff, then less likely I am to forget/drop/break anything.
post #98 of 98 Old Today, 04:51 PM

I use a magnetic mount I bought on amazon for $14. It's a suction cup mount but has a washable gooey layer on the cup so it conforms to the textured surface of the dash. It's very secure! I like that it telescopes and adjusts up and down. The only downside is it doesn't swivel side to side, so you have to release the suction cup to reposition. The magnets are very strong and hold my OnePlus 7 Pro without any issue. I know I sound like I'm trying to sell the thing, but it was waaaaay better than I expected.

My old mount was a spring loaded claw type that required two hands to put the phone on the mount. I was tired of having to wait for a stop light to put my phone on the mount if I took it off for some reason. I started researching magnetic mounts and this one had good reviews. I was planning on mounting it to the windshield but when it arrived it had that sticky layer, so I decided to see if it would stick to the dash. I was really glad it did because I didn't like having my windshield partially obscured. I was also afraid it would bounce a lot when extended but it's rock solid.

Anyway. I like it. The brand is Jabuer, if anyone wants one. I'd never heard of them, but it seems to be a quality mount for the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone_mount_1.jpg (60.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg phone_mount_2.jpg (56.5 KB, 1 views)

2018 Sport 6 speed stick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in