MP Compass - Cargo Cover - Page 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 83 Old 02-21-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Gillis View Post
I ordered the kit, $98 for the whole thing from my dealer parts counter but its backordered until May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
WOW! I may have to go to the dealers tomorrow and order it. I can wait until May for it to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstew182 View Post
Pretty good deal on yours, I ordered mine from my dealer in early Dec for $136 and was told it would be here Dec 31. That date didnt happen, got pushed back to Jan 17. That date didnt happen, got pushed back to Jan 25. That date didnt happen, got pushed back until Feb 14. I think you get the point that didnt happen either, now I'm being told May as well. With how many times it is getting pushed back I am starting to lose hope that they are actually producing anymore. The dealer told me there were only 5 other orders for it across the nation the last time I was there.

Did you guys order the "kit" which is listed as one part number for everything? That's been back ordered for a while with no concrete date.

If you're impatient like me, just spend the extra money (was $40 extra when I ordered last month) and order the pieces individually. You'll get it much quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 Old 02-21-2018, 09:57 PM

I didn't order it yet. Not getting the warm and fuzzy from the back order stories that I hear on this thread. Probably should order it in pieces online.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #33 of 83 Old 02-25-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydeez View Post
Did you guys order the "kit" which is listed as one part number for everything? That's been back ordered for a while with no concrete date.

If you're impatient like me, just spend the extra money (was $40 extra when I ordered last month) and order the pieces individually. You'll get it much quicker.
I ordered the kit back in December. The dealer told me a few weeks ago the individual pieces weren't in stock either. Plus they said it was going to be $240 which is ridiculous. Where did you guys order from that already got them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 83 Old 02-25-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstew182 View Post
I ordered the kit back in December. The dealer told me a few weeks ago the individual pieces weren't in stock either. Plus they said it was going to be $240 which is ridiculous. Where did you guys order from that already got them?

I ordered from the same place as the original poster of this thread did. Mopar Parts Counter in CT. They are a dealer that knows the value of selling parts so they don't rip us off like most places. I paid $162 shipped for everything. They even emailed me to let me know that I needed to order 2 brackets instead of 1 (was an early typo in the original post). Edit: I just ran all the part numbers again. Total is $147.41 plus shipping. Tell your dealer to take a hike with their $240 price quote.

https://www.moparpartscounter.com is the website.

Last edited by dannydeez; 02-26-2018 at 12:46 PM.
post #35 of 83 Old 02-27-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Love this post! Thanks for the write up and detailed part # info!
Me too! Thanks!
post #36 of 83 Old 02-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
L

Attention non power tailgate owners looking to add a cargo cover to your Compass. As a posted a few weeks ago I ordered a non- power tailgate cargo cover for a Renegade ( see my above quoted post above for part number), plus the 2 trim pieces, and the 2 supports that the cover rests on near the tailgate. I'm happy to say it does fit, and installs the same as the others.

I had the same problem with getting the parts. I ordered from Steve White motors who promptly received the cover, supports, and one of the trim pieces. The other trim piece took weeks to get. I received the shipment yesterday.

Thanks to Superchan7 and Dannydeez for doing the homework and sharing it with us
Seems funny that the non power tailgate cargo cover is $5.50 more that the powered tailgate cargo cover. Is there that much of a difference between the two cargo covers? Has anyone with a non powered tailgate ordered the powered tailgate cover? If so, has it worked?

post #37 of 83 Old 02-28-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Seems funny that the non power tailgate cargo cover is $5.50 more that the powered tailgate cargo cover. Is there that much of a difference between the two cargo covers? Has anyone with a non powered tailgate ordered the powered tailgate cover? If so, has it worked?
The power tailgate cover has a half moon shaped cut out on the drivers side of the cover, for power tailgate actuator. Where the non powered one doesn't. Install a powered cover in a non powered Compass will result in a nice sized gap.

If you go to post 4 and 5 of this thread you'll see a good pic of the cut out(post 4) and the bump out (post 5)

2017 Compass Limited Sunroof, Nav, Tow group, Safety and Security and Advanced lighting group.

Last edited by Steeler; 02-28-2018 at 11:34 PM.
post #38 of 83 Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 PM

Thank you Steeler.

post #39 of 83 Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Thank you Steeler.
No problem. By the way I bought my 68 Dart from a guy in Livonia.
Redmaxx likes this.

2017 Compass Limited Sunroof, Nav, Tow group, Safety and Security and Advanced lighting group.
post #40 of 83 Old 03-10-2018, 02:28 PM

Well I ordered the parts yesterday. Can't wait to get them and get them installed.

post #41 of 83 Old 03-18-2018, 07:48 PM

My parts are supposed to be here Tuesday. I should have them installed Tuesday night. Can't wait to install them and have my cargo cover. Thank you to everyone who documented and commented on this thread.

post #42 of 83 Old 03-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
Step 1: Fold down the rear seats. They obscure the trim piece that needs to be replaced, and even then, the large cargo cover won't move into position without doing this.

Step 2: Get the hard part out of the way. The two long trim panels provide the hinge mount for the cover. Take a look at the locations of the fastening tabs on your new trim pieces, and guess the same location on the existing trim piece on the car. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to pop out the rearward-most bottom tab. Once that one tab is out, the entire trim piece can be pulled and twisted out with some elbow grease. Repeat on the other side.

Step 3: This is the hard part. I don't know how to easily describe in words, other than it takes a lot of prying to get the new piece in. Insert the upper tabs, then one by one use the screwdriver to pry the lower tabs until they pop in. I got a finger bruise doing this.

Step 4: With that out of the way, the rearward grocery bag hangers need to be replaced with resting tabs for the cargo cover. Use large pliers to twist those hangers 90 degrees, and they fall right out.

Step 5: The rearward resting tabs twist right in to replace the old parts.

Step 6: Slide in the cargo cover longitudinally (the seats need to be down), then rotate to its lateral mounting position It clicks into the new hinges very easily. Pop in the liftgate pull-strings (the tabs are already on the liftgate, an obvious sign that FCA didn't want to bear the cost of including the cargo cover for NA cars), and you are done!!

Happy holidays and safe motoring to all.
Can you please post a photo of where the pull-strings mount on the liftgate?

post #43 of 83 Old 03-21-2018, 11:23 AM

Had it installed in less than 10 minutes thanks to the instructions by Superchan7 and Dannydeez. Only thing I can't figure out is where to attach the pull strings.

post #44 of 83 Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Had it installed in less than 10 minutes thanks to the instructions by Superchan7 and Dannydeez. Only thing I can't figure out is where to attach the pull strings.
Lift up the tailgate. Look at inner part of tailgate, next to the glass. You should see two black thumb tack looking things. That's where they hook up.

Last edited by Steeler; 03-22-2018 at 08:45 PM.
post #45 of 83 Old 03-30-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I haven't checked the forum in a while. Steeler is correct as to the placement of the tabs. Were you able to find where to hook the strings?
post #46 of 83 Old 03-30-2018, 10:22 PM

I had to pop out some tabs that I wrapped the strings around. Not the correct way but I didn't have any choice.

post #47 of 83 Old 04-01-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I had to pop out some tabs that I wrapped the strings around. Not the correct way but I didn't have any choice.

Im surprised your car didn't come with the tabs. Do you have a picture by any chance? If I remember tomorrow when I take my car out, I'll snap a pic of mine for you.
post #48 of 83 Old 04-02-2018, 10:25 AM

For some reason it won't let me post photos.

post #49 of 83 Old 04-02-2018, 11:47 AM

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...y-compass.html

post #50 of 83 Old 04-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to take the pics. Thats strange..I wonder why you don't have those little "nubs" to attach the strings to. Hopefully I'll remember later tonight.
post #51 of 83 Old 04-02-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to take the pics. Thats strange..I wonder why you don't have those little "nubs" to attach the strings to. Hopefully I'll remember later tonight.
Are they located in the same place as the tabs I had to pull? I am just wondering if I need to order the nubs?

post #52 of 83 Old 04-03-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Are they located in the same place as the tabs I had to pull? I am just wondering if I need to order the nubs?
I'm almost positive that they are. Of course, I forgot to look again. Just made myself a note lol so Ill check when I run out later tonight.
post #53 of 83 Old 04-03-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:

Hereís the pics. Sorry it took so long:

post #54 of 83 Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Looks like they are. Now to try to find a part number. One thing I hate about MOPAR is their poor website.

Update: I have not been able to find them on the MOPAR website. Maybe I need to go to the dealers parts department and talk to someone there.

Last edited by Redmaxx; 04-04-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #55 of 83 Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Looks like they are. Now to try to find a part number. One thing I hate about MOPAR is their poor website.

Update: I have not been able to find them on the MOPAR website. Maybe I need to go to the dealers parts department and talk to someone there.

I would definitely go to your dealer and find out why your Jeep didnít come with them in the first place. Iím curious to know myself.
post #56 of 83 Old 04-09-2018, 02:03 PM

Well, I went to the dealer on Friday. He said it is something that the factory must have installed. He tried to look them up and said that they come with the cargo cover kit (they didn't come with mine) and they can not be ordered separately. I asked him, "OK, if I was to order the cover kit and I accidently broke one does that mean I need to buy a whole cargo cover kit to replace it?" He said yes. I asked him to look up that part for the Renegade but he couldn't find it. He said he was going to call FCA and find out if I can order them and also to see how I get the touchup paint for the Rhino clear coat (apparently the 2018 colors are not available. Waiting to hear back from them.

post #57 of 83 Old 04-10-2018, 01:22 AM

This looks like this is the part you need. Part number. 68201889AA.

https://i.imgur.com/Ndm3IfM.jpg

post #58 of 83 Old 04-10-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Well, I went to the dealer on Friday. He said it is something that the factory must have installed. He tried to look them up and said that they come with the cargo cover kit (they didn't come with mine) and they can not be ordered separately. I asked him, "OK, if I was to order the cover kit and I accidently broke one does that mean I need to buy a whole cargo cover kit to replace it?" He said yes. I asked him to look up that part for the Renegade but he couldn't find it. He said he was going to call FCA and find out if I can order them and also to see how I get the touchup paint for the Rhino clear coat (apparently the 2018 colors are not available. Waiting to hear back from them.
He's definitely misinformed. They do not come with the kit. They are already installed on the vehicle from the factory. Why yours didn't come with them is a mystery. Hopefully they can source them for you somehow.

EDIT: Looks like Steeler already found them for you. I googled the part number and they're only $1.60 each. Should be an easy install too if its just a threaded shaft.
post #59 of 83 Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
This looks like this is the part you need. Part number. 68201889AA.

https://i.imgur.com/Ndm3IfM.jpg
Thank you.

post #60 of 83 Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
He's definitely misinformed. They do not come with the kit. They are already installed on the vehicle from the factory. Why yours didn't come with them is a mystery. Hopefully they can source them for you somehow.

EDIT: Looks like Steeler already found them for you. I googled the part number and they're only $1.60 each. Should be an easy install too if its just a threaded shaft.
Probably going to order them this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in