MP Compass - Cargo Cover - Jeep Compass Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 83 Old 12-30-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

MP Compass - Cargo Cover

New member and first post! My wife recently bought a '18 Compass Limited in Pearl White.

Coming from a Fiat 500L which included a cargo cover as standard, we were disappointed that FCA chose to leave it out of most of their North American Jeep products.

That said, I set out to obtain one, and Mopar's accessories store does not yet stock it. I know it exists because multiple European MP Compass reviews showed the cargo cover.

So I called up our local dealer who, although unable to order for us, did provide the P/N 6AA59DX9AB.

Then I browsed over to Mopar Parts Counter in CT, which listed it as in stock. After ordering, someone from the associated dealership (it's operated by Mitchell CDR in Simsbury, CT) kindly told me that they had received several orders and the associated mounting hardware was also needed:

6AA59DX9AB Cover-Cargo Area
6MB14DX9AB Support-Quarter Trim (need Qty 2)
6MB36DX9AA Cover-Access
6MB39DX9AA Cover-Access

Installation was not exactly a breeze (got a finger bruise), but no special tools required other than some pliers and a small flat-blade screwdriver for prying things. Installation pics coming soon!
aschay likes this.

Last edited by superchan7; 01-02-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 12-30-2017, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

This is the cargo cover showing the proper P/N, and the 4 trim pieces that replace existing parts on the vehicle's cargo area trim. Not sure why there is a fuel icon--the filler neck is on that side of the car, but I don't think it is in the vicinity of that trim piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9517.JPG (50.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9518.JPG (46.4 KB, 196 views)
post #3 of 83 Old 12-30-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Step 1: Fold down the rear seats. They obscure the trim piece that needs to be replaced, and even then, the large cargo cover won't move into position without doing this.

Step 2: Get the hard part out of the way. The two long trim panels provide the hinge mount for the cover. Take a look at the locations of the fastening tabs on your new trim pieces, and guess the same location on the existing trim piece on the car. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to pop out the rearward-most bottom tab. Once that one tab is out, the entire trim piece can be pulled and twisted out with some elbow grease. Repeat on the other side.

Step 3: This is the hard part. I don't know how to easily describe in words, other than it takes a lot of prying to get the new piece in. Insert the upper tabs, then one by one use the screwdriver to pry the lower tabs until they pop in. I got a finger bruise doing this.

Step 4: With that out of the way, the rearward grocery bag hangers need to be replaced with resting tabs for the cargo cover. Use large pliers to twist those hangers 90 degrees, and they fall right out.

Step 5: The rearward resting tabs twist right in to replace the old parts.

Step 6: Slide in the cargo cover longitudinally (the seats need to be down), then rotate to its lateral mounting position It clicks into the new hinges very easily. Pop in the liftgate pull-strings (the tabs are already on the liftgate, an obvious sign that FCA didn't want to bear the cost of including the cargo cover for NA cars), and you are done!!

Happy holidays and safe motoring to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 Old 12-30-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

The cover before mounting. It's asymmetric to accommodate the power liftgate rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9519.JPG (61.8 KB, 168 views)
post #5 of 83 Old 12-30-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Fits well! Happy new year to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9521.JPG (67.9 KB, 201 views)
2018Ltd likes this.
post #6 of 83 Old 12-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Love this post! Thanks for the write up and detailed part # info!
post #7 of 83 Old 12-30-2017, 01:15 PM

Does this look correct to you? We just need to order one quantity of each?

post #8 of 83 Old 12-30-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydeez View Post
Does this look correct to you? We just need to order one quantity of each?
Looks correct! Glad to help.
post #9 of 83 Old 12-31-2017, 01:09 AM

MP Compass - Cargo Cover

Great, thanks again!
post #10 of 83 Old 12-31-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Introductory pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8100.jpg (62.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8268.jpg (53.8 KB, 105 views)
post #11 of 83 Old 12-31-2017, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the info, and the write up. Been looking for this since we got our Compass. I just have to get the part number for the version without the power tailgate, as they are different.

2017 Compass Limited Sunroof, Nav, Tow group, Safety and Security and Advanced lighting group.
post #12 of 83 Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 AM

Just placed my order! Superchan, do you remember how long it took the dealer to ship these parts to you?
post #13 of 83 Old 01-01-2018, 02:09 AM

Interesting. I spent some time googling (is that even a word)? The part number the OP ordered is a superseded part number for a cargo cover for a Jeep Renegade with power tailgate. Which makes absolutely no sense as Renegades , as far as I can tell isn't available with a power tailgate. So I looked up a part number for the same part w/o a power tailgate and came up with 6AA58DX9AB. So I took the chance and ordered the cover, plus the additional parts. I'll update this thread if this fits non power lift gate Compasses.

2017 Compass Limited Sunroof, Nav, Tow group, Safety and Security and Advanced lighting group.
post #14 of 83 Old 01-01-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
Interesting. I spent some time googling (is that even a word)? The part number the OP ordered is a superseded part number for a cargo cover for a Jeep Renegade with power tailgate. Which makes absolutely no sense as Renegades , as far as I can tell isn't available with a power tailgate. So I looked up a part number for the same part w/o a power tailgate and came up with 6AA58DX9AB. So I took the chance and ordered the cover, plus the additional parts. I'll update this thread if this fits non power lift gate Compasses.
'Googling' is definitely a word. At least it should be by now lol. I wonder why its coming up as a cover for a Renegade? It seems to fit well according to the OP. I can report back once mine arrives and I install it. Hopefully it fits snug and theres no gaps. I have the power liftgate option like OP does. BTW, I'm in Westchester as well..near white plains.
post #15 of 83 Old 01-01-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydeez View Post
'Googling' is definitely a word. At least it should be by now lol. I wonder why its coming up as a cover for a Renegade? It seems to fit well according to the OP. I can report back once mine arrives and I install it. Hopefully it fits snug and theres no gaps. I have the power liftgate option like OP does. BTW, I'm in Westchester as well..near white plains.
Why it comes up for a Renegade, I don't know. At first I figured that since they are built off the same platform that maybe it was a cross fitment. But I built and priced every conceivable Renegade and none are offered with a power tailgate. So I don't think it's accurate. Hopefully the non powered one will fit my Compass. I'm in N.W Yonkers.

post #16 of 83 Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Why it comes up for a Renegade, I don't know. At first I figured that since they are built off the same platform that maybe it was a cross fitment. But I built and priced every conceivable Renegade and none are offered with a power tailgate. So I don't think it's accurate. Hopefully the non powered one will fit my Compass. I'm in N.W Yonkers.

Hmm. I guess that makes sense then.. probably an error. Curious to know how it fits for you once the parts arrive. I used to live down that way, over by the Raceway.
post #17 of 83 Old 01-02-2018, 12:51 AM

Garage
Thanks supercham7 for this info, I just got my Compass the other day and would really like one. I,ll have to do a little research though as mine does,nt have the power lift gate. At least now I know they are available.

2018 Jeep Compass Sport, FWD, Auto
post #18 of 83 Old 01-02-2018, 03:34 AM

Great post superchan7, I do have one question though...

On the other thread, WisHawk list the cover as part # 82214625AB and you have 6AA59DX9AB. What is the difference between these two?
post #19 of 83 Old 01-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsc1991 View Post
Great post superchan7, I do have one question though...

On the other thread, WisHawk list the cover as part # 82214625AB and you have 6AA59DX9AB. What is the difference between these two?

I just got off the phone with them and the part number 82214625AB is the whole kit with trim pieces, but it's showing as backordered until March.

I ordered the part numbers individually as OP listed. You can save about $40 if you're willing to wait. I'm impatient.

Also, they said I needed to order (2) of part# 6MB14DX9AB. It's no big deal at $1.87 each, but OP can you confirm that they actually come with 2 in a package?
post #20 of 83 Old 01-02-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

82214625AB appears to be the upcoming Mopar accessory kit for the cargo cover. When I called around nobody could give me an availability date so I decided not to wait for this.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a separate cargo cover P/N for cars without the power liftgate, but if the difference is only one digit it's as good a guess as mine would be!

dannydeez, you are right that for P/N 6MB14DX9AB the Qty needs to be 2. I've corrected my original post; thanks! FYI I placed my order on 12/15, it shipped out on 12/21 and arrived in CA on 12/29.

Last edited by superchan7; 01-02-2018 at 08:16 PM.
post #21 of 83 Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the clarification. He said they should have the parts ready to ship by Friday. I'm only one state away so I should get them rather quickly.
post #22 of 83 Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the information Dannydeez & superchan7
post #23 of 83 Old 01-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsc1991 View Post
Thanks for the information Dannydeez & superchan7

Welcome!

My cargo cover finally shipped yesterday. There was a delay with getting one of those clips. Has anyone else gotten theirs yet?
post #24 of 83 Old 01-23-2018, 10:21 PM

MP Compass - Cargo Cover

So there was a delay in shipping (post offices fault) and I finally got the parts and had a chance to install. The whole process took me all of 16 minutes from start to finish, and thats only because I took my time.

The instructions provided by superchan are pretty spot on, but the whole process is easier if you have a trim removal tool set. I highly recommend that everybody own a set of these. They've been a life saver for me over the years. At $10, its a no brainer (Click here)

I would like to add some helpful tips to the original instructions:

For Step 2: Insert the trim tool into the slats (pictured below) and just yank forward. The whole piece will pop out in one shot.

Tool:

Shown on passenger side:

For Step 4: The tabs that hold the hooks in are two different sizes, and correspond to the same size holes in the car. Ive included pics below so you can see what I mean. So when you rotate them 90 degrees, you have to rotate them towards the front of the car, otherwise the tabs won't line up with the correct holes.

Mudman1, Odogxb and aschay like this.
post #25 of 83 Old 01-28-2018, 03:55 PM

L
Quote:
Attention non power tailgate owners looking to add a cargo cover to your Compass. As a posted a few weeks ago I ordered a non- power tailgate cargo cover for a Renegade ( see my above quoted post above for part number), plus the 2 trim pieces, and the 2 supports that the cover rests on near the tailgate. I'm happy to say it does fit, and installs the same as the others.

I had the same problem with getting the parts. I ordered from Steve White motors who promptly received the cover, supports, and one of the trim pieces. The other trim piece took weeks to get. I received the shipment yesterday.

Thanks to Superchan7 and Dannydeez for doing the homework and sharing it with us

Last edited by Steeler; 01-28-2018 at 03:59 PM.
post #26 of 83 Old 02-18-2018, 02:54 PM

I think I am going to have to do this. I was going to ask about the speakers in the cargo area but I just went out and looked in my Compass and there are no speakers back there.

Also if this is the same as the Renegade, can't we just buy that kit from the dealer?

I am a first time Jeep owner and do not know.

Last edited by Redmaxx; 02-18-2018 at 03:06 PM.
post #27 of 83 Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 PM

I ordered the kit, $98 for the whole thing from my dealer parts counter but its backordered until May.
post #28 of 83 Old 02-18-2018, 07:01 PM

WOW! I may have to go to the dealers tomorrow and order it. I can wait until May for it to come in.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #29 of 83 Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Gillis View Post
I ordered the kit, $98 for the whole thing from my dealer parts counter but its backordered until May.
Pretty good deal on yours, I ordered mine from my dealer in early Dec for $136 and was told it would be here Dec 31. That date didnt happen, got pushed back to Jan 17. That date didnt happen, got pushed back to Jan 25. That date didnt happen, got pushed back until Feb 14. I think you get the point that didnt happen either, now I'm being told May as well. With how many times it is getting pushed back I am starting to lose hope that they are actually producing anymore. The dealer told me there were only 5 other orders for it across the nation the last time I was there.
Redmaxx likes this.
post #30 of 83 Old 02-20-2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstew182 View Post
Pretty good deal on yours, I ordered mine from my dealer in early Dec for $136 and was told it would be here Dec 31. That date didnt happen, got pushed back to Jan 17. That date didnt happen, got pushed back to Jan 25. That date didnt happen, got pushed back until Feb 14. I think you get the point that didnt happen either, now I'm being told May as well. With how many times it is getting pushed back I am starting to lose hope that they are actually producing anymore. The dealer told me there were only 5 other orders for it across the nation the last time I was there.
I would guess they are waiting for more orders to do a production run?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in