My Jeep Compass Forum banner

MP Compass - Cargo Cover

53K views 127 replies 28 participants last post by  Acusuperman 
#1 · (Edited)
New member and first post! My wife recently bought a '18 Compass Limited in Pearl White.

Coming from a Fiat 500L which included a cargo cover as standard, we were disappointed that FCA chose to leave it out of most of their North American Jeep products.

That said, I set out to obtain one, and Mopar's accessories store does not yet stock it. I know it exists because multiple European MP Compass reviews showed the cargo cover.

So I called up our local dealer who, although unable to order for us, did provide the P/N 6AA59DX9AB.

Then I browsed over to Mopar Parts Counter in CT, which listed it as in stock. After ordering, someone from the associated dealership (it's operated by Mitchell CDR in Simsbury, CT) kindly told me that they had received several orders and the associated mounting hardware was also needed:

6AA59DX9AB Cover-Cargo Area
6MB14DX9AB Support-Quarter Trim (need Qty 2)
6MB36DX9AA Cover-Access
6MB39DX9AA Cover-Access

Installation was not exactly a breeze (got a finger bruise), but no special tools required other than some pliers and a small flat-blade screwdriver for prying things. Installation pics coming soon!

See less See more
#3 ·
Step 1: Fold down the rear seats. They obscure the trim piece that needs to be replaced, and even then, the large cargo cover won't move into position without doing this.

Step 2: Get the hard part out of the way. The two long trim panels provide the hinge mount for the cover. Take a look at the locations of the fastening tabs on your new trim pieces, and guess the same location on the existing trim piece on the car. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to pop out the rearward-most bottom tab. Once that one tab is out, the entire trim piece can be pulled and twisted out with some elbow grease. Repeat on the other side.

Step 3: This is the hard part. I don't know how to easily describe in words, other than it takes a lot of prying to get the new piece in. Insert the upper tabs, then one by one use the screwdriver to pry the lower tabs until they pop in. I got a finger bruise doing this.

Step 4: With that out of the way, the rearward grocery bag hangers need to be replaced with resting tabs for the cargo cover. Use large pliers to twist those hangers 90 degrees, and they fall right out.

Step 5: The rearward resting tabs twist right in to replace the old parts.

Step 6: Slide in the cargo cover longitudinally (the seats need to be down), then rotate to its lateral mounting position It clicks into the new hinges very easily. Pop in the liftgate pull-strings (the tabs are already on the liftgate, an obvious sign that FCA didn't want to bear the cost of including the cargo cover for NA cars), and you are done!!

Happy holidays and safe motoring to all.

#11 ·
Thanks for the info, and the write up. Been looking for this since we got our Compass. I just have to get the part number for the version without the power tailgate, as they are different.

#13 ·
Interesting. I spent some time googling (is that even a word)? The part number the OP ordered is a superseded part number for a cargo cover for a Jeep Renegade with power tailgate. Which makes absolutely no sense as Renegades , as far as I can tell isn't available with a power tailgate. So I looked up a part number for the same part w/o a power tailgate and came up with 6AA58DX9AB. So I took the chance and ordered the cover, plus the additional parts. I'll update this thread if this fits non power lift gate Compasses.

#14 ·
'Googling' is definitely a word. At least it should be by now lol. I wonder why its coming up as a cover for a Renegade? It seems to fit well according to the OP. I can report back once mine arrives and I install it. Hopefully it fits snug and theres no gaps. I have the power liftgate option like OP does. BTW, I'm in Westchester as well..near white plains.

#19 ·
I just got off the phone with them and the part number 82214625AB is the whole kit with trim pieces, but it's showing as backordered until March.

I ordered the part numbers individually as OP listed. You can save about $40 if you're willing to wait. I'm impatient.

Also, they said I needed to order (2) of part# 6MB14DX9AB. It's no big deal at $1.87 each, but OP can you confirm that they actually come with 2 in a package?

#20 · (Edited)
82214625AB appears to be the upcoming Mopar accessory kit for the cargo cover. When I called around nobody could give me an availability date so I decided not to wait for this.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a separate cargo cover P/N for cars without the power liftgate, but if the difference is only one digit it's as good a guess as mine would be!

dannydeez, you are right that for P/N 6MB14DX9AB the Qty needs to be 2. I've corrected my original post; thanks! FYI I placed my order on 12/15, it shipped out on 12/21 and arrived in CA on 12/29.

#24 ·
So there was a delay in shipping (post offices fault) and I finally got the parts and had a chance to install. The whole process took me all of 16 minutes from start to finish, and thats only because I took my time.

The instructions provided by superchan are pretty spot on, but the whole process is easier if you have a trim removal tool set. I highly recommend that everybody own a set of these. They've been a life saver for me over the years. At $10, its a no brainer (Click here)

I would like to add some helpful tips to the original instructions:

For Step 2: Insert the trim tool into the slats (pictured below) and just yank forward. The whole piece will pop out in one shot.

Tool:

Shown on passenger side:

For Step 4: The tabs that hold the hooks in are two different sizes, and correspond to the same size holes in the car. Ive included pics below so you can see what I mean. So when you rotate them 90 degrees, you have to rotate them towards the front of the car, otherwise the tabs won't line up with the correct holes.

#26 · (Edited)
I think I am going to have to do this. I was going to ask about the speakers in the cargo area but I just went out and looked in my Compass and there are no speakers back there.

Also if this is the same as the Renegade, can't we just buy that kit from the dealer?

I am a first time Jeep owner and do not know.

#29 ·
Pretty good deal on yours, I ordered mine from my dealer in early Dec for $136 and was told it would be here Dec 31. That date didnt happen, got pushed back to Jan 17. That date didnt happen, got pushed back to Jan 25. That date didnt happen, got pushed back until Feb 14. I think you get the point that didnt happen either, now I'm being told May as well. With how many times it is getting pushed back I am starting to lose hope that they are actually producing anymore. The dealer told me there were only 5 other orders for it across the nation the last time I was there.

#41 ·
My parts are supposed to be here Tuesday. I should have them installed Tuesday night. Can't wait to install them and have my cargo cover. Thank you to everyone who documented and commented on this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.