Heated Wheel does not work in extreme cold, bug or by design? - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By upsmanchris

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 01-05-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Heated Wheel does not work in extreme cold, bug or by design?

I am working on a theory that is slowly but surely turning into an assertion. What I have observed over and over again all winter so far is that the heated steering wheel is disabled if the exterior temperature is more than about 20 degrees below zero (fahrenheit).

Our 2017 second gen is parked outside every night. It has been cold all over the country the last month or so but it is exceptionally cold here in northern Minnesota. Every morning when I go out to leave for work, if the ambient temperature is more than 20 below then the heated steering wheel is disabled and will not turn on, even after a 30 minute drive.

If the temperature is "only" 15 below or warmer, the heated wheel works fine.

By lunch time it is always "warmed up" to at least 10 below so the heated wheel always works if I go out for lunch and it also works by the end of the day, but once it sits overnight and the temperatures again plummet below -20 then during the morning drive the heated wheel refuses to work.

Specifically, you can press the on-screen control to activate the wheel and it will turn red/on for about one second, then immediately turns back off.

I have had a LOT of issues with the Uconnect controls for the heated seats and wheel this winter, so I am not ruling out completely a Uconnect software bug but at this point I place a higher bet that it is by design for some reason and so far I can't get anyone at jeep or mopar to explain.

Temperatures are about to warm up here from tomorrow onward so I won't be able to do further testing on my theory for a while, but I wanted to start this thread so others can find it if they run across this problem and start googling it and can chime in if they have experienced this as well.

When it gets super cold again (and it will) my plan is to go out to the local dealership early one morning and see if they can show me any new jeep compass that has been sitting outside on the lot in -30 that has a working heated wheel at that temperature. My expectation is that they will behave the same as mine. If the ones on the lot successfully activate their heated wheels at -30 then I guess I need update or repair on my compass.

Add to the thread if you experience or have experienced any similar problems with the heated wheel during periods of extreme cold weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2018, 02:02 AM

It has not been that cold in WI here, but I did have it that cold in MN a while ago. My heated stuff worked fine. My issue is not what you have...it is with the blower motor sounding like a cheap Kmart vacuum cleaner when cold. Bearings just sing away, competing with the engine belt.

My MPGs are a steady 21-22 MPGs driving the same routes, with the same gas, since it has gotten cold. I use the pan heater at home in the mornings. I was pulling 27-29 before the cold set in. You?

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2018, 02:59 AM

Garage
I live in MN as well and its been around -10 in the mornings and have had no issues. This sounds like a bug rather than its to cold for it to turn on. Seems odd to me that it can be to cold for that to come on.
Mudman1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2018, 01:55 AM

I wonder if when it's that cold the Jeep thinks the battery does not have enough juice to turn on the heated wheel?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2018, 07:24 PM
Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_84045 View Post
the Jeep thinks the battery does not have enough juice to turn on the heated wheel?
There is a feature like this, called energy saver mode. My previous Cherokee came up with a message, when energy saver mode was active. No idea, if the Compass does it the same way.

Compass Limited CRD, MY18, Pearl White, Leather Black, uConnect 8.4Nav & Beats Audio

覧覧覧覧覧-
German Jeep Forum for new Jeeps from MY14 and up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-07-2018, 08:52 PM

Sounds like a bug.

Haven't had it at any temps below zero. But at single digits, no problems at all.

2017 Compass limited 4x4
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2018, 02:10 PM

This week in NJ the temps have hit 0. I have had no issues. My garage door opener crapped out but the car (sitting in the driveway) has worked fine. It's on when I get in the car (remote start)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in