Halogen Headlight Upgrades? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 Old 01-08-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Halogen Headlight Upgrades?

What are my options? I see plug in LED bulbs, has anyone tried these? I ran JW Speaker LED's on my Wrangler but those replaced the entire housing as well.

I've used various upgraded Halogen bulbs over the years with some success and those of course are minimal to no fuss but curious of experiences here.

2018 Trailhawk Billet SIlver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
What are your factory bulbs. www.gtrlighting.com makes very good led conversions with just the bulbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 24 Old 01-08-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll have to go look. I know they are the Halogen but not sure of specifics. Thanks for the link.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-09-2018, 07:17 PM

Are HID projector housings plug and play for swapping out halogen?
post #5 of 24 Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That would be nice! Seems this car is still so new information about parts swapping and mods is minimal still. I hop that picks up. Renegade is developing a bit of an aftermarket and forum is more active. Hope it happens here.

post #6 of 24 Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 PM

I wanted to do the same thing. The ones I bought have the fans. Access is a BITCH. I ended up having to give up as the high beam bulb heat sink was up against the housing access, not allowing me to seat the bulb in. Low beams I could get them to slip into place, but didn't have enough space to exert any semblance of force on the bulbs to lock them in. Given temps were in the single digits, I simply put the halogens back in and decided to wait until warmer weather, and can figure out how to completely removed the assemblies to do a "bench swap".
post #7 of 24 Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is it easier to remove the whole assembly?

post #8 of 24 Old 01-09-2018, 11:06 PM

I don't know yet. I haven't figured out how to get them out yet, and there is no info on how to do so.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 AM

Serious question, why would you not get the car with factory HID's? Its such a cheap option and it creates a world of difference in night visibility. I can't believe auto manufacturers still even offer cars with halogen bulbs.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydeez View Post
Serious question, why would you not get the car with factory HID's? Its such a cheap option and it creates a world of difference in night visibility. I can't believe auto manufacturers still even offer cars with halogen bulbs.
Because I bought mine as it sat on the lot. Had I been checking off the list and odering, that and the lane daparture and adaptive cruise control options would have also been checked.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 PM

I have an LED kit in my Compass, but I'm seriously considering installing projectors on there. One thing, how am I supposed to connect H1 bulbs when my Compass has an H11 plug?
post #12 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Because I bought mine as it sat on the lot. Had I been checking off the list and odering, that and the lane daparture and adaptive cruise control options would have also been checked.

Well yea I had assumed it was a lot car, which is fine, mine was too..but I can't imagine any deal given that would be good enough to buy a halogen car. In fact, I wouldn't have taken one even if it were free.

Of course this is strictly my opinion, but coming on the forum to upgrade the lights makes it seem like you (*not singling you out specifically*) should have just gotten a jeep with them in the first place.

I spent an hour of my time to search the jeep website for the exact options that I wanted and then went to the dealer which had my exact spec car. Mine was a tough find because I also 100% refused to get a car with a sunroof or leather, but I found it. I know I'm an oddball out on that one, but I hate both options and refused to settle.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Well yea I had assumed it was a lot car, which is fine, mine was too..but I can't imagine any deal given that would be good enough to buy a halogen car. In fact, I wouldn't have taken one even if it were free.

Of course this is strictly my opinion, but coming on the forum to upgrade the lights makes it seem like you (*not singling you out specifically*) should have just gotten a jeep with them in the first place.

I spent an hour of my time to search the jeep website for the exact options that I wanted and then went to the dealer which had my exact spec car. Mine was a tough find because I also 100% refused to get a car with a sunroof or leather, but I found it. I know I'm an oddball out on that one, but I hate both options and refused to settle.
I've never had an issue with swapping out bulbs before this one.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll plead dumb, I had no clue it only had Halogens when I drove it off.

post #15 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I've never had an issue with swapping out bulbs before this one.

Yes but HID's don't belong in a reflector housing. It blinds everyone on the road. So you shouldn't be swapping bulbs because the housing isn't made to disperse the light properly.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You can upgrade to some better Halogen bulbs. Hardly HID quality but a small difference can be seen in my experience on other cars.

post #17 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Yes but HID's don't belong in a reflector housing. It blinds everyone on the road. So you shouldn't be swapping bulbs because the housing isn't made to disperse the light properly.
I'm not upgrading to HID. I'm doing LED conversion. The LED placement on the bulb is in the exact same place as the filament on a halogen bulb.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 AM

The develop road of car light is Halogen,HID,LED.LED has longer life and beautiful light.As long as you install the same light bulbs type

To bring you
for your car
post #19 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I know LED's replace Halogen in same location but I have seen some videos which show they create more light up close but they may not project as far as good Halogens. I am sure it is largely specific to each cars specific reflector housing and what LED bulb you choose. So who knows in this case without trying.

Where the light goes is just as important as how bright it is. Seems we are all pioneers on this 2nd gen Compass. I hope the DIY and aftermarket activity picks up.

post #20 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not upgrading to HID. I'm doing LED conversion. The LED placement on the bulb is in the exact same place as the filament on a halogen bulb.
Its not about placement. Its about how the actual housing can disperse the light. They're not made for the brighter, more intense light of LED or HID and you will blind everyone on the road with the scattered light pattern.
post #21 of 24 Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That is the more technical way of saying what I was trying too. I will simply be going with upgraded Halogen bulbs in mine. I barely drive at night and it's all city. The stock Halogens are not terrible by any means. The stock Halogens in my old JK were way worse.

post #22 of 24 Old 01-17-2018, 11:33 PM

I've just replaced stock H9 Osram halogens (export version uses H9 for both, short and long beams) with Osrams again but 75W 62213CBB 2100lm, Cool Blue Boost in 5000K. They just got SAE (DOT) and ECE R37 approval, now marked as traffic safe. ~30 euros pack, @ebay.
They do match just fine with my new DRL Osram Cool White LEDs 3557CW-02B 6000K.

So, this is the winning combination for me right now: 3557CW-02B & 62213CBB <- google those
Love their futuristic blueish shine, I'll put some pics soon...

edit2: pic added, "futuristic blueish" my a$$, couldn't see a thing.. manually peeled down with razor to lets say ~4200k lol, now with 75W bulb and less blue they are just awesome. Finally no need to turn fog lights to see around the vehicle. Distance added too.

edit1: oops, 2nd gen compass section. this applies for mk49 not mp/552
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-01-24-12.09.00.jpg (64.1 KB, 13 views)

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
@
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

Last edited by asakaze; 01-24-2018 at 04:57 PM.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-28-2018, 08:18 AM

Hey there new to this forum and bought my 2018 Jeep compass sport and did a LED conversation kit and love the color and brightness of it with antiflicker balace.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-28-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpatron View Post
Hey there new to this forum and bought my 2018 Jeep compass sport and did a LED conversation kit and love the color and brightness of it with antiflicker balace.
Where did you buy them and do you have a part number?

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in