LED Headlights - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Compass2ndgenguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 01-25-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
LED Headlights

Has anyone tried putting LED lights in for the headlight high beam and low beams? I purchased some LED 6000K on amazon made by Beamtech for $34.99 per set and I noticed that they flickered rapidly, but also they would cut off randomly, and periodically as I drove/sat in idle. They would only turn off for approx 1 or 2 seconds, and come right back on, but all 4 bulbs did it, not even at the same time. I thought that adding an anti-flicker module would help, but after installing some Auxbeam anti-flicker harnesses on all 4 bulbs, while correcting the hyperflash, they all continued to flash on and off. I did some research and found a thread saying I need a 6 ohm / 50 Watt load capacitor so I ordered one online with these specs. Currently am waiting to receive these capacitors so I can install them and see if it fixes my issue.

While I am waiting, does anyone have any tips or clues as to why I am having this issue and/or how to fix it?!

Thanks Guys!

PS: I'm new to this forum, bought my jeep compass 2017 Sport SE in March of 2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 PM

First, going Ebay means you bought cheap chinese junk. That will be half your issue. The one thing that you WILL need to do is make sure you have the CANBUS compatible bulbs to make sure the car's computer is happy. That may or may not be the rest of your issue. I AM curious if the ones you bought have the fan on the back. The ones I got from Summit Racing do, and I'm having serious clearance issues attempting to get them in the housings.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you are looking for LED headlights www.gtrlighting.com

They are expensive but high quality and work well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-26-2018, 08:55 AM

I also purchased the beamtech bulbs from Amazon but in a 6500k. I am having no issues. I only changed the lows and the fogs. I even ordered the canbus adapters but ended up not needing them. The only issue I am having is I also replaced the drl, and after shutting the vehicle off they stay on very very dim for a few hours before finally going out.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-27-2018, 06:30 AM

Garage
The problem with LED lights is the vehicle is constantly sending pulses of electricity to the lights to make sure the bulb isnt burned out which would trigger a warning. Typically when you swap to LED bulbs you would need to buy some sort of anti flicker harness which compensates for that pulsing so the bulbs do not flicker. Not sure if they even sell something like that for the new Compass yet or not. I also own a Wrangler and replaced all the lights in that with LED's. Obviously in the Wrangler this meant changing the entire headlight not just a bulb and the headlights have built in circuits to deal with the pulse so the lights dont flicker. Of course they also cost about 600 bucks just for the headlights that doesnt include the 300 on led fog lights and then 200 on led tail lights.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-28-2018, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsmanchris View Post
The problem with LED lights is the vehicle is constantly sending pulses of electricity to the lights to make sure the bulb isnt burned out which would trigger a warning. Typically when you swap to LED bulbs you would need to buy some sort of anti flicker harness which compensates for that pulsing so the bulbs do not flicker. Not sure if they even sell something like that for the new Compass yet or not. I also own a Wrangler and replaced all the lights in that with LED's. Obviously in the Wrangler this meant changing the entire headlight not just a bulb and the headlights have built in circuits to deal with the pulse so the lights dont flicker. Of course they also cost about 600 bucks just for the headlights that doesnt include the 300 on led fog lights and then 200 on led tail lights.
A simple plug and play harness is all I needed to work with my compass, the same harness also works perfect in my new Cherokee as well

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #7 of 14 Old 01-28-2018, 05:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
A simple plug and play harness is all I needed to work with my compass, the same harness also works perfect in my new Cherokee as well
The question is seeing this is a brand new model Compass would they work like in your older one. My wifes 2018 Compass has the upgraded lights on it to begin with and while the headlights arent LED they seem to be more than bright enough. A lot better than the standard ones I am sure had we not chosen the upgrade option.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-28-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsmanchris View Post
The question is seeing this is a brand new model Compass would they work like in your older one. My wifes 2018 Compass has the upgraded lights on it to begin with and while the headlights arent LED they seem to be more than bright enough. A lot better than the standard ones I am sure had we not chosen the upgrade option.
If you have the factory HID headlights, then you won't need to upgrade. The idea of upgrading to LED's is simply to have a simple plug and play option that disposes of the obsolete halogens.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-29-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
If you have the factory HID headlights, then you won't need to upgrade. The idea of upgrading to LED's is simply to have a simple plug and play option that disposes of the obsolete halogens.
hey! Halogens used to BE the upgrade you know. Kids these days!
post #10 of 14 Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner99 View Post
hey! Halogens used to BE the upgrade you know. Kids these days!
LOL and I'm old enough to remember the days of the sealed beams. Weak and pathetic patches of light they were.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 AM

Just my two cents...

In Europe (and most of the rest of the world), low beams are very bright, but they’re aimed quite low, so as to not dazzle other drivers. They’re used exclusively at low speeds. High beams are brighter, but not so bright as to make them dangerous to other drivers, meaning they can be used in many more “normal” highway driving situations.

In North America, low beams aren’t very bright (by design), but they’re aimed quite high, allowing them to illuminate further ahead. They’re used 99% of the time. High beams are the bright ones here (although they’re not as bright as European high beams), and they’re aimed higher than European high beams. They’re to be used exclusively when there are no other cars present.

You can put European wattage bulbs in NA housings, but often you’ll find they melt them, since the NA housings are designed for lower wattage bulbs which generate less heat. On top of that, you’ll be a menace to other drivers unless you change the angle of your beams so as to not dazzle oncoming drivers.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-30-2019, 01:04 PM

What LEDs did you use for your DRLs? Looking to get some.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightk239 View Post
What LEDs did you use for your DRLs? Looking to get some.
https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...orked-you.html

look here we keep an updated list that sets up canbus and what doesn't and what brand does not glow when the car is off

K
wrightk239 likes this.

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #14 of 14 Old 04-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Hey all - random question here.
I have installed LED DRLs in my 2019 Compass as well as Beamtech LED Fogs.
I do have the premium light group which includes the Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps.

My question is, I cannot for the life of me get the DRLs to stay on when the headlights are turned on.
I can get them to stay on in all other light modes but for whatever reason the two will not stay on together.

I have tried 3 different types of LED DRLs and have the same luck. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in