Looking to Order 2018 Trailhawk - Questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 01-28-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Looking to Order 2018 Trailhawk - Questions

TLDR:
-Having trouble finding a specific build of Compass and want to order one with exact packages. Do dealers dis-like when people do this, how serious will they take my request?
-I have a family member who can get me a control number for a Jeep discount, does this make the dealer less likely to want to work with me?
-I plan to keep this one 5-10 years. What's the best way to get a good price on an extended warranty?

I have 4 - 5 months remaining on my 2015 Renegade Trailhawk Lease. 30k miles and pretty much no issues, really happy with it so I'm going to stay with Jeep and 'upgrade' to the Compass. I look forward to Apple CarPlay, Xeon Lights, Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, and Blind Spot Detection that were not available in the Renegade.

Looking to get into:
-2018 Compass Trailhawk (or Limited in some cases 4x4 is a must)
-Olive Green (I am flexible on some of the colors)
-Advanced Safety And Lighting Group
-Safety And Security Group
-Leather Interior Group
-Trailer Tow Group
-Power Lift Gate

I've been looking at dealership inventories within a wide radius for months and never see a model with the exact specs I am looking for. Almost anything with the Advanced Lighting group either has the Nav package (approx $1000) or sun roof ($1300), usually both, neither I want to pay for.

My dealer happened to e-mail me recently seeing what I wanted to do after my lease ends. I mentioned I had a very specific build I wanted and was looking to put an order in. Haven't heard back in over a week and am assuming Im not the type of customer they want to work with (sorry, no up-sells with me).

-Having trouble finding a specific build of Compass and want to order one with exact packages. Do dealers dis-like when people do this, how serious will they take my request?
-I have a family member who can get me a control number for a Jeep discount, does this make the dealer less likely to want to work with me?
-I plan to keep this one 5-10 years. What's the best way to get a good price on an extended warranty?

Random thoughts:
-My Renegade has the sky panels (sunroof) option. I didn't want it, but I accepted it. I only took them off once because my co-worker wanted to see how they work. They rattle in the heat where it bothers my wife. A lot of others seem to have the same problem. It's been a year or so since I checked but no one I read of having the same problem ever resolved.
-I have the navigation option, but we almost always use our phones to guide us, just better experiences.
-I don't have trailer / tow group. Never needed to use it. I am waffling on this one, because towing 2,000 lbs will really only allow to tow an atv and not much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-28-2018, 05:42 AM

I was in your exact same place. I would only take a trailhawk with the advanced saftey group and leather seats. ( Needed heated seats and steering wheel - if you add the comfort and cold weather pack it's only 200 bucks more for the leather that has all that stuff) I also didn't want or need a sunroof, power lift gate or the beats audio)
The dealers I worked with had to look a long ways off to find what I wanted, but I still got it. Go in and talk to a dealer, their computers let them look a lot further away than the 150 miles the Jeep webpage will let you look. Long story short it took about 40 days (mostly because if the airbag recall) but I got exactly what I wanted for a fair price (almost 20% off MSRP)
post #3 of 10 Old 01-28-2018, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

I keep changing the zip codes to 4 major cities in a 150 mile radius (plus where I live) and I finally found one after browsing off and on for months.

The only problem is I am not due to buy until June. I will talk with my dealer during my next oil change to see my options.

I am like yourself, need remote start, heated seats/wheel like what I currently have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-28-2018, 12:22 PM

Just joined forums a couple of weeks ago, when I got my 2018 Trailhawk.

- I don't think dealers necessarily dislike special orders (edit per conversation: obviously they want to move what's on their lot, but then it's down to sale or no sale - and repeat business/referrals for taking care of the customer...which varies greatly). I went in knowing the options that were non-negotiables for me, as well as the ones I wanted for the hell of it. I did a lot of research and kept my build saved, so I could refresh dealer stock. It took a few weeks, but one arrived that matched everything I wanted. Special ordering a build could add weeks, if not months to your wait time. There is nothing wrong with that, of course, but I was willing to take some time while doing my research to let dealers catch up with the 2018s coming into stock.

- Get every discount at your disposal. If you have very good to excellent credit on top of that, you are basically holding all the cards. Even more so, if you finance through your bank/credit union, and still have a significant discount with which to show up to the dealership. I pressed my dealer to apply the previous Jeep discount on the Compass that had expired (not a hard argument to have, even though they do try to make it seem like a hardship on them). Managed to get the Trailhawk with every single available option (still getting used to all the safety things), minus the power lift gate, for well under 30k.

- I did opt for the full extended warranty. Years down the road and I wish to refinance or trade in/up, regardless... I always think that is a non-optional option for all Jeeps. This is only my second Jeep, and I'm really hoping that they have hit the mark with the new models and generations, and can shake some of the reliability issues that have plagued them. But always better safe than sorry. It's worth the extra bump on monthly payment (for me), for that peace of mind.

I do recommend getting the panoramic sun roof. It is truly one of the best I've seen in newer models. It gets the most remarks from others that ride in my Trailhawk, along with the quality of the seats/ride and the beats radio. Advanced lighting group is spectacular, and adds a significant level of class to the Compass. Never thought I would enjoy heated seats and steering well as much as I have. Will never have another vehicle without them.

Good luck finding the Trailhawk you're after!

Last edited by DurmGene; 01-28-2018 at 12:51 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-28-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogg View Post
TLDR:
Most dealers don't have a problem ordering. But some want the quick sale. Also allocations comes into play. If a dealer don't have a allocation available for what you are looking for, they most likely will steer you to something on the lot

Quote:
Friends and family and affiliates is 1% under invoice. How it works is, you get 1% under invoice and the dealer gets 2% back from FCA. So they are basically getting 1% over for the sale. You most likely can get better by haggling. Tell your dealer that you can go to any dealer for 1% under invoice, can you beat it.

Quote:
I plan to keep this one 5-10 years. What's the best way to get a good price on an extended warranty?
Try Ziegler, best prices for FCA warranties.

In most cases leases can be traded. Just as a loan it only pays if the car is worth more than the buy out.

2017 Compass Limited Sunroof, Nav, Tow group, Safety and Security and Advanced lighting group.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
Try Ziegler, best prices for FCA warranties.
Can you give me a general idea what Ziegler would charge?

Quote:
In most cases leases can be traded. Just as a loan it only pays if the car is worth more than the buy out.
I looked into this and the dealers do their absolute best to take advantage of me on this. I should come out ahead but haven't received an offer that even comes close to breaking even. Just waiting this out.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogg View Post
Can you give me a general idea what Ziegler would charge?
Here's thier website, should help you find the info your looking for. If not they have a very good warranty department for you to call.

Genuine Mopar Vehicle Protection Warranty - Save $$ Today

Quote:
I looked into this and the dealers do their absolute best to take advantage of me on this. I should come out ahead but haven't received an offer that even comes close to breaking even. Just waiting this out.
It doesn't work all the time. It only works when the vehicle holds its value better than the bank anticipated (residual). For instance, our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited had a residual of 22k +. When the lease was up, trade in value was a hair over 26k. I negotiated the trade and they gave me the 26k, they deducted the buyout, and the up front cost of the new lease, and I received a check for the differance.

2017 Compass Limited Sunroof, Nav, Tow group, Safety and Security and Advanced lighting group.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-29-2018, 06:16 PM

I ordered mine 9/16 and it only came in early January, very slow shipping out of Mexico, it sat for a month till they had a train load to ship out. The dealers have plenty but they can't sell them till the pass the bad air bag screening. The airbag replacement is a lot of work involving taking the whole dash out. So you don't want one of those.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-31-2018, 02:18 AM

Garage
We ordered a new one the last week of November and it was delivered to the dealer the weekend of Christmas and picked it up the day after Christmas. If you order one its usually a 4 to 6 week turn around until the dealer gets it.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-31-2018, 04:48 AM

I was basically looking for the same thing, but wanted beats audio as well, my dealer found one about 200 miles away, but it had navi, sunroof, and power lift gate. In the end, they dealer transferred it, and gave me a relatively large discount on those 3 options i didnt want, ended up paying about $500 more than I originally priced out without them. Just so they wouldn't have to special order one. Maybe you can find a dealership willing to do the same?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in