New guy with a few questions and concerns - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
wbw

New guy with a few questions and concerns

Hello all, new guy to the forum.

I went to the auto show in Harrisburg Pa. over the weekend (I actually went twice) and came away thinking the Compass might be my next vehicle. I like the way it looks and felt very comfortable inside. It's a good size for me too. Not too small and not too large. I have not driven one yet as I'm not really ready to purchase and don't want to be hassled by sales guys yet.

First a question; can the oil and filter be changed without removing the skid plate?

Next, I'm concerned about the engine and transmission. Every magazine review I've read about the compass says the engine is anemic or lethargic. That nine speed auto is also a concern. It sounds like it has been improved over the last few years, but I've never read anything good about that trans. I almost bought a Renegade when they first came out (around 2013, I think) but didn't like the transmission at all when I test drove one. Recent articles I've read about the Compass say that it hesitates to downshift for passing. Where I live in York Pa. I need to get on I83 often and some of the entrance ramps are almost nonexistent. You really have to get it up to speed very quickly or bring it to a stop and wait for a huge opening.

I know that the real answer is to test drive one but I'm not ready to buy yet. But any feedback from you folks will be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
wbw

So no one here wants to comment about the engine or nine speed auto? I'm really liking the Compass and was hoping a few folks could nudge me in that direction. Or not.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 03:01 PM

I bought one for my kid. It is not a rocket ship on the freeway by any means. It is pretty peppy around town though. I don't have any issues with the transmission I've driven a few older Jeep's with the 9 speed and it has definitely been improved. The older ones really seemed to hunt for gears. They have resolved this it seems. The engine could use another 20hp but it's not bad. You are right though the only way to know is to go and test drive it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 03:35 PM

I think some people might even suggest we could use one more gear just to get an even smoother driving experience. I have seen mentions of this elsewhere with other FCA products. On FCA's end it will help to support better fuel economy which to them these days matters a lot.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 05:12 PM

It's a little pokey but not too bad. If you need speed ASAP you can either mash the pedal, or use the auto-stick to "manually" downshift.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
post #6 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 05:22 PM

I should add that I really do love the car. Sure, wouldn't mind the turbo that new Cherokee (and Wrangler get), or the little bit of extra room, but it'd be at the expense of fuel efficiency. Also I like the look of the Compass much, much better. Overall very pleased with my choice.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
post #7 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 05:59 PM

I don't think the car is at all underpowered. I ALWAYS take such statements from car rags with a grain of salt. They want everything to be supercar fast, and when it isn't, they bitch about lack of power. I get on the freeway every day for my work commute here in Akron, OH. I have no problem getting up to speed for the highway. Power is just fine. I have no problem passing slower traffic if the need arises. It's a SUV, not a sports car. The transmission is fine, IMO. There are two shift points in the transmission that will feel a bit "different" if you pay especially close attention due to the design of the thing. Also while it may be a nine speed auto, most cases it's going to be a seven speed. They start out in second, and unless you are going to be running north of 80 mph, you'll never see 9th. I have no qualms of shift quality. It's smooth unobtrusive, and the vehicle feels like a baby Grand Cherokee to me. Go drive one for yourself. Remember one thing, forums are where people go to discuss problems they're having. This IS an FCA product, and being Italian owned, QC is more apt to be a customer process instead of a factory one. I just clicked over 2k miles with mine, and have no regrets, and have had no issues beyond a couple of instances where the auto start stop threw service warnings at nearly zero degree weather. Presumably the auxiliary battery was simply too cold and didn't poll that the system was good to go fast enough for the ECM to be happy with it.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Garage
If you don't have your heart set on a trailhawk, you can always get a latitude with a stick shift. I think the stick definitely gives it a more responsive feel, but I typically don't like automatics regardless(unless its in a truck).
Under powered is subjective... This is the second slowest car I've owned but is it not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. As long as I wind it out a bit, getting on the hwy is not an issue. When it comes to hills, the car will need to shift more than a vehicle with a hemi. However the mileage is pretty good, especially on the hwy or long back country roads. That being said, I would have jumped on getting a turbo version had it been available.

Go drive one.... its quick, free, and fun
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
wbw

Thanks everyone. Now we have some information flowing.

I'm not just seeking positive feedback, but I was kind of hoping that I would get positive reactions because I really do like the Compass. Last weekend at the auto show I probably sat in the car 12 or 15 times. I actually went back to the show a second time just to spend more time sizing up the Compass.

I know that a test drive is what's needed but I don't feel like dealing with sales guys just yet. I'm a horrible liar, so I have a hard time letting those guys think I'm ready to buy right now when I'm not.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 PM

Oh, I'll tell them point blank that I'm in the looking mode and want to drive it, even though I'm not going to sit at the table today. I'm RARELY turned down.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-02-2018, 10:58 PM

Some perspective...

2018 Compass Trailhawk now - and having come from a 2015 Renegade with the same engine, I can tell you it is much more refined than I was expecting. They have definitely worked out a lot of the kinks I felt seemed to persist in my Rene. I went into the Compass with that expectation already and was prepared to take that as part of the package.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the evolution of the Tigershark. It actually feels more at home in the Compass to me. Would a v6 have been nice? Yep. Is the Tigershark incapable of doing the job? Nope. Does just fine, even on the highway, where a lot of people that have not had experience with it prior, seem to hate its performance. And as I learned with the Rene, the auto/manual select can alleviate some of the RPM concerns, if mileage isn't your primary focus.

I'm only a couple of thousand miles into it at this point, but no complaints so far.

As far as dealing with the dealer goes - if you go in with either good credit, or have already financed with your bank or credit union, and have done your research on trim and options that you want or are non-negotiable for you, then you're ahead of the game. Go in knowing what you want, and check fair market prices for the trim you're after. So many people wait for dealers to provide information and guidance. Do your homework and most of the time they'll quickly pick up on that fact.

Good luck!
post #12 of 12 Old 02-07-2018, 07:24 PM

Compass Limited 4x4 9spd Auto opinion here.

No nothing about changing the oil.

As for the engine and trans. Much ado about nothing. It's Actually decently peppy all things considered off the line. But tapers out on acceleration as you close in on 50MPH, which causes the 0-60 numbers to skew little lower than the numbers imply. It's only real weakness is full on highway acceleration. If you are pressing on the gas a little more to get past a car it's fine. But that guy going 60 next to a semi finally passes it and you want to stomp on the gas, the trans is going to be a little slow to drop you the needed gears to pickup and go quick. 9th is absolutely useless. Maybe because of the cold and wind, but you can only force your way into it at 80MPH and at full throttle I was losing speed. Over all it's a very comfortable drive though, isn't as jerky as the 2013-2015 Cherokee drivers implied at least not in the Compass. Very smooth shifts when driving normally, almost CVT like but not as boring as a CVT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in