Factory Remote Start - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Factory Remote Start

Good Day All,

Does anyone know what brand of Remote Starter is used when they build the 2018 Jeep Compass?? I would like to find out what brand they use at the factory??

thanks,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-06-2018, 07:09 PM

Brand? The brand is Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/FCA. They are not using third-party equipment for the remote start systems, its all part of the ingrained electronics of the vehicle.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Brand? The brand is Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/FCA. They are not using third-party equipment for the remote start systems, its all part of the ingrained electronics of the vehicle.
So what your saying is that they have designed and build their own remote start equipment for the 2018 Jeep Compass? I don't really know much but that does not seem like something a vehicle manufacturer would waste money on doing. It would be cheaper for them to just use a remote start from a third party and integrate it into their systems instead.

The reason i am looking to find out what brand they are using is because if what you have said before in my posts that if i don't have the SiriusXM Guardian services on my jeep now that I will never get it. So I am looking at Alternative providers of that type of service Like Viper Smart Start system or a few other Companies that offer systems like it. However those companies product are only compatible with certain brands of remote starts like Autostart Clifford AStrostart Automate Python Avital and Xpresskit.

If anyone can confirm arudlang's post maybe Jeepcares can comment ?? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 04:14 PM

I think its safe to assume they designed and built their own, not jeep specifically but FCA. It wasn't just built for the compass, they use the same equipment on all their vehicles from the Dodge Ram to the Chrysler 300 and everything in-between (including Jeeps), they all have variations of the exact same keyfob. Spreading that R&D investment across all their vehicles makes the cost negligible, and it wouldn't be that much cost in the first place.

The whole car-computer-control network is a closed, protected, and closely guarded system. They don't want people plugging in third-party stuff and they would not hand over the secret inner workings and encryption details to a third party when a basic RF radio is like... the simplest piece of technology in the whole world.

But I digress, keep dreaming on that there is some little box out there you can buy and reach under the dash and plug into some magical harness and give you sxm guardian-like capabilities. I too like to pursue the occasional exercise in futility.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 07:32 PM

All the major manufacturers use proprietary Remote start systems for their cars. Just like they use their own infotainment systems, engines, and so on. Now that isn't to say that Jeep/FCA specifically make the remote start system that is installed, but it isn't a third party part if they do, it would be more like second party. They use vendors like Continental Teves, TRW, and ones like that to develop solutions specifically for them. So you are right there are parts and technology that doesn't make sense on them developing in house, but they go to Vendors who do specialize in that to make a system proprietary to their cars, so even if TRW was doing work for Ford and GM, the two systems aren't compatible. These suppliers tend to only work for the OEM's and don't have retail solutions out there.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think its safe to assume they designed and built their own, not jeep specifically but FCA. It wasn't just built for the compass, they use the same equipment on all their vehicles from the Dodge Ram to the Chrysler 300 and everything in-between (including Jeeps), they all have variations of the exact same keyfob. Spreading that R&D investment across all their vehicles makes the cost negligible, and it wouldn't be that much cost in the first place.

The whole car-computer-control network is a closed, protected, and closely guarded system. They don't want people plugging in third-party stuff and they would not hand over the secret inner workings and encryption details to a third party when a basic RF radio is like... the simplest piece of technology in the whole world.

But I digress, keep dreaming on that there is some little box out there you can buy and reach under the dash and plug into some magical harness and give you sxm guardian-like capabilities. I too like to pursue the occasional exercise in futility.
Thanks again for your input arudlang I always enjoy reading other peoples input on my posts.

As for them having the same key-fobs across all of their line ups it has been like that for years and these alternate companies have been providing this type of service for a lot longer then SXM has been and have had systems for many FCA vehicles dating back as far as 2004 -2005. One such company is Fortin | Bypass modules, remote starters and alarm systems

I was told by my dealership that they can install these other companies products into any of the FCA vehicles however since the 2018's are so new they are not able to get the proper Bypass Module for the 2018 Jeep Compass yet because the 2018's all come with Push to Start and a Push to Start vehicle needs a different Firmware then a Keyed start vehicle.

I was just looking for any information I could get so that I can try and find out which type of Bypass Module will be needed as there are 3 different types of Bypass Modules made by 3 different companies and each have their own proprietary Firmware.

So I will as you says "keep dreaming on about the little box that is out there that you can buy and reach under the dash and plug into some magical harness and give you sxm guardian-like capabilities" seeing how they have been out there for years long before SXM Guardian Service came about.

Thanks,
Chad
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 08:20 PM

Your original question doesn't seem to make sense to what you are requesting. The bypass is about getting past ignition systems like the RFID systems (both with physical and push button ignitions) and less about what Remote start system they use. It isn't a brand like you listed, it's proprietary as has been mentioned. What you are looking for and what Remote start system comes from the factory aren't connected. Sadly it means that whatever 3rd party remote start system you want to go with you have to wait till they make a bypass for it.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post
All the major manufacturers use proprietary Remote start systems for their cars. Just like they use their own infotainment systems, engines, and so on. Now that isn't to say that Jeep/FCA specifically make the remote start system that is installed, but it isn't a third party part if they do, it would be more like second party. They use vendors like Continental Teves, TRW, and ones like that to develop solutions specifically for them. So you are right there are parts and technology that doesn't make sense on them developing in house, but they go to Vendors who do specialize in that to make a system proprietary to their cars, so even if TRW was doing work for Ford and GM, the two systems aren't compatible. These suppliers tend to only work for the OEM's and don't have retail solutions out there.
Thank you Topweasel for your input I really appreciate it.

One example that I know of is the older Uconnect RA4 8.4 inch head units were made by Harmon and that the newer Uconnect 4C systems are made by Panasonic. So as you said it may not be a 3rd party solution that they use but I know that in previous years Fortin | Bypass modules, remote starters and alarm systems did make remote start components for some FCA vehicles so it is possible that they still do.

Again thanks for the input.

Chad
post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadjp View Post
Quote:
Brand? [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/images/smilies/New/dunno.gif[/IMG] The brand is Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/FCA. They are not using third-party equipment for the remote start systems, its all part of the ingrained electronics of the vehicle.
So what your saying is that they have designed and build their own remote start equipment for the 2018 Jeep Compass? I don't really know much but that does not seem like something a vehicle manufacturer would waste money on doing. It would be cheaper for them to just use a remote start from a third party and integrate it into their systems instead.

The reason i am looking to find out what brand they are using is because if what you have said before in my posts that if i don't have the SiriusXM Guardian services on my jeep now that I will never get it. So I am looking at Alternative providers of that type of service Like Viper Smart Start system or a few other Companies that offer systems like it. However those companies product are only compatible with certain brands of remote starts like Autostart Clifford AStrostart Automate Python Avital and Xpresskit.

If anyone can confirm arudlang's post maybe Jeepcares can comment ?? I would really appreciate it. [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/images/MyJeepCompass_toucan/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]

Thanks
Chad
What features are you looking to replicate? If you want to just be able to start it with your phone look at the dronemobile product. I put one in my optima works great. https://www.dronemobile.com/
post #10 of 10 Old 02-08-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post
Your original question doesn't seem to make sense to what you are requesting. The bypass is about getting past ignition systems like the RFID systems (both with physical and push button ignitions) and less about what Remote start system they use. It isn't a brand like you listed, it's proprietary as has been mentioned. What you are looking for and what Remote start system comes from the factory aren't connected. Sadly it means that whatever 3rd party remote start system you want to go with you have to wait till they make a bypass for it.
Good Day Topweasel,

I will try and clarify my reasons for wanting to know the brand of remote start that they use. So my 2018 Compass did not come with the SXM Guardian Services and according to arudlang lol I am crazy to think that FCA is working on a upgrade to have it added onto the 2018 model year Compasses that were built before January of 2018. Now I was told by the dealership that i purchased it from that FCA technical support told them that they are working on an upgrade but it was still in the planing stages and would not be out until some time in 2018.

Now with that being said I do not want to wait for that upgrade so i decided that i would research alternative solutions and there are many. However these option are only compatible with specific brands of Remote Starts so I would either have to get the factory remote start removed and get one of the alternative brand remote starts installed and then get the Bypass module that is compatible with that remote start or if the factory remote start was made by one of these alternative company for FCA then it may be compatible and therefore i would only need to get the Bypass module from that manufacturer. From what the technicians at my local dealership have told me the Phone app capability and other such features are tied into the bypass module.

As I have said before I know that Fortin has made remote starter for FCA vehicles in the past and they even had bypass modules for the 2017 model Compass so im thinking that it may be a possibility that they will have one for the 2018 and that it may be compatible with the factory remote start but of course I can not say for sure unless i find out who manufactures the remote start that FCA is using.

Thanks again for your input it is greatly appreciated.

Chad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in