Possible Electrical Issue? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Possible Electrical Issue?

Long post warning. Sorry.

Well, think I'm starting to see the beginning of an electrical issue with my Compass Trailhawk already. Less than a month into my ownership, and 1300 miles on the odometer..

Anyway, my issues started one morning with me getting ready for work. Remote start as usual, below zero outside. It starts, and I finish getting ready to leave. I get in, push the button, and an error message pops up saying "start stop feature unavailable. Service start stop system", along with a warning light. I let my dealer know. They basically shrug it off. They take the vehicle but never looked at it. By the time I got in to go to lunch, the message and light do not come up. We call it a fluke and I decide to not really pressure them.

Fast forward a week. Same scenario: getting ready for work, below zero, remote start. Get in, push ignition button, error message and light come on. Take it in, they schedule me for this last Saturday. Brought it in, of course message and light would not come on that morning or while they had it. There was a stored code for a communication error, but the tech explained that stored codes don't give much info. Makes sense. He explained a few things and mentioned that there's a bulletin for a loose ground. He checked said ground, all is well. I take it home.

Fast forward to tonight. Just went shopping. As I'm checking out, I push remote start button. Not sure if it picked up that signal as I was a ways away. Anyway, get outside, see it isn't running. Remote start it again. Honks at me but fails to start. Do it a third time. Finally starts. Load my stuff in, get in driver's seat, push button and car shuts off. Wtf? You always have to push the button when remote starting. Ok whatever, let's start it back up with the push button. It starts, but my climate control settings are now completely different from what they were previously set to. I always have it at 80 degrees and set to defrost and floor, and fan speed 4 or 5. When it started, I saw temp was at 72, fan speed at 1, and set to vents...

I know this is a long post, but I'm curious if anyone else had seen or had a similar issue..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 AM

The auto start stop feature throwing the error light is well known. I can't believe your dealer didn't know about it. It seems to be either a faulty door latch sensor, or a dead secondary battery.

All the remote start stuff though I have not heard of.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2018, 02:32 PM

The Climate control does that in my car to.... not a big deal for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM

I made a post regarding the "Start Stop Needs Service" not too long ago. It turned out for me, it was the secondary battery being bad. They replaced it, and one time after that (maybe a day or 2 later) it lit up again. Since then, it hasn't. May have needed to reset in the car.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 05:09 PM

Same problem here with the start stop icon coming up. Also my climate control sometimes jumps down to 68 on its own. I usually have it around 72-74 around this time of year (NY winters).
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 05:41 PM

FCA has a legit electrical issue spanning multiple vehicles (I've seen reports from Cherokees, Grands, Compasses, and Renegades). And I'm not referring to the Uconnect issue that's making headlines right now.

I've absolutely had it with technology in vehicles. It's unnecessary fluff that is entirely too fragile. I'm about ready to take a buyout, go buy an old car, and sink that extra money into restoring it. But that could only happen if my Case Manager would ever respond (going on 48 hours from when she said she'd reach back out to me).
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 10:12 PM

I got this error during some zero degree weather. Since it has warmed up, it has gone away. I did tell the dealer about it to get the issue on file. I'm at this point chalking it up to the cold. Computers hate cold, and there are a lot of them in a car built under an Italian industrial culture. This is a vehicle that I actually did buy the bumper to bumper extended warranty to cover all the stuff in this thing up to the same amount of time and miles as the powertrain. Once expired, it'll be off to the trade in lot for something else. Still, I love this thing and it has been pretty much trouble free thus far. Knock on the proverbial wood that my Uconnect doesn't join the masses of cyclical rebooting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in